Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

I think the cover photo of the new box could be from Toulouse, France, June 21, 1981.

For comparison:
    [​IMG]

2. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Not sure this is accurate... Toronto is spread on 2 discs. So that leaves only 1 disc for the video (which is likely a DVD).

Tom Schreck likes this.
  3. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

Good point! I'll edit it and post a new one when we have clarification! :)

LonesomeDayBlues likes this.
  4. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

If that track listing is accurate it is definitely a composite. "Covenant Woman" was only played on 4/19 and it was the second song of the set, replacing "I Believe in You" which was not played (a rarity to break up the "Gotta Serve Somebody"/"I Believe in You" show opening double-shot!). Also, "Pressing On" was replaced as the final encore on the 19th by the rarity "I Will Love Him." This is not on the Disc 5/6 Toronto '80 composite, but it is included on the Disc 3-4 playlist. It'll be nice to have that. My love for these Toronto shows knows no bounds. Particularly the 20th; the "Solid Rock" from that show may be the most incendiary piece of music Bob ever performed...it'll make the hairs stand up alright. Here's hoping the long pre-song rap is included.

5. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

. . . Though he wore the same jacket at Earls Court, at least on the night I saw him (July 1st).

I wonder if the DVD will be the Toronto show, or, to mix it up, perhaps the Buffalo show?

6. Tom Schreck

Thoughts:

The fact that they're editing down composites of certain-venue-runs suggests to me that we won't, for instance, get a set of the complete Supper Club shows any time soon, or any sort of comprehensive tour set, for that matter.

Also, there is tons of interesting circulating material not represented on the new set.

These two points suggest to me that the directive of BS11, BS12, and Complete Live 1966 (i.e. "tell the whole story") is no longer active, for now. Makes a certain amount of sense, and I'm not upset about it. This gospel era has simply too much music to release in total at this point. They can expand it out later in future volumes.

[I can envision it: 10-20 years from now -- "The Complete Toronto Concerts"! "The Complete London Concerts"! "The Complete 1980 Rehearsals"! "The Complete 1981 Studio Muddle-Throughs"! "Gospel Era: The Stuff We Figured You Already Had, Collected"!]

If we're still buying box sets in those years, I'll probably make the money work to buy 'em all and add 'em to my shelf!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  7. HominyRhodes

EDIT: he wore it quite a bit on that tour, it seems.

8. HominyRhodes

So...you're mildly fond of the Gospel Era tracks, huh? :D

9. keef285

keef285 Forum Resident

MP3 Sample of When You Gonna Wake Up? (Live July 9, 1981) up on UK Amazon...........sounds amazing.

The Bard likes this.
  10. HominyRhodes

Certainly does.

11. Tom Schreck

I do love this era, but I'm not obsessed. I guess I was trying to be somewhat sarcastic, with the projecting of an ongoing BS 10-20 years from now and how it might approach sweeping up the detritus.

I LOVE the sound of this material and the music itself, but at times I find the message somewhat troubling, and some of the songwriting is pretty sophomoric. But the high points are VERY high.

Yorick and majorlance like this.
  12. HominyRhodes

Agreed!

Tom Schreck likes this.
  13. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

:)

warewolf95 and Yorick like this.
  14. DagB

DagB Forum Resident

mne563 and HominyRhodes like this.
  15. Tom Schreck

Another thought: It's interesting (and I'm glad) that they're including live remakes of non-Gospel-era songs ("Mr. Tambourine Man," et al) on here. They're part of the story, after all.

Tell Tale Signs would have been an entirely different type of document if they'd included great live variations on Dylan's 1960s-1980s material in the Never-Ending Tour era.

16. HominyRhodes

17. HominyRhodes

I'm glad too. They sounded great at the show I saw in Oct. '81. Bob put more life into his classics than I expected him to -- "Girl From The North Country" in particular was really beautiful.

Tom Schreck and warewolf95 like this.
  18. Tom Schreck

The unfolding and fanning-out of "Girl from the North Country" is a great Dylan story, even 'til today. It's got it all.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  19. HominyRhodes

@Mbd77 is gonna have to sort through that again and repost it. "Prescient" -- is that the word?

Mbd77 and Tom Schreck like this.
  20. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Are we sure there is a dvd in this set at all? All I am seeing on Amazon is 8 CDs.

21. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Yep, that was cruel ! But I for one, in my little Warsaw cave, am awake now, and.......... YEEEEEEE HAAAAAA !!!!!!! :wave:
    Can't wait for November :D

HominyRhodes likes this.
  22. Tom Schreck

It is unclear at this point. There is another page that says 9 discs.

shadow blaster likes this.
  23. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Thx. Fingers crossed then :).

HominyRhodes likes this.
  24. HominyRhodes

A DVD has been mentioned (promised?) as part of the box set, and I hope it's true.

shadow blaster likes this.
  25. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Thoughts on the cover design?