Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

Well, based on your avatar, I would be careful before "diving" into anything. :D

Percy Song and Sean Murdock like this.
  2. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Wow -- slow burn on that slow train! I know that the live discs are probably going to be the definitive word on the gospel era, but there are going to be some nice surprises on discs 3 and 4!

3. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

I think when he was developing the song, he was channeling some of the lyrics from "Mystery Train" (Train, train, comin' 'round the bend...[the Shot of Love session outtake is on YT]) with one of his old favorites, Curtis Mayfield's "People Get Ready"...

People get ready there's a train comin'
    You don't need no baggage, just get on board
    All you need is faith to hear the diesels hummin'
    You don't need no ticket, just thank the Lord

People get ready, there's a train to Jordan
    Picking up passengers coast to coast
    Faith is the key, open the doors and board them
    There's hope for all among those loved the most
    There ain't no room for the hopeless sinner whom would hurt all mankind
    Just to save his own
    Have pity on those whose chances grow thinner
    For there is no hiding place against the kingdoms throne

...with some heavy Bob Marley grooves mixed in. Just my sense of the song.

And as Bob once mentioned from the stage, it would have been great if Jimi Hendrix had still been around to record it. Imagine that version.

4. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

Brilliant dot-joining! Especially liked being reminded about one of the highlights of BS11. I'll have to pull disc 2 out again. It's been quite a while.

5. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Musical Retrospective Tour 1980 -- from my forlorn Box O' Cassettes:
    Radio Ad: Golden Hall, San Diego, CA, Nov. 26, 1980

'Bob Talk' from the show itself -- Oh, that Bob!:
    "When we used to play here in San Diego, we used to stay at the Grand Hotel on Broadway, you know where that is? Anyway they just closed it last week, so we had to stay at the Holiday Inn, ha ha. Anyway they’ve got fourteen, fifteen floors on the Holiday Inn. We have very nice views from up there and all that, but the balcony they all ..., on every floor all the balconies connect. So when you go outside your balcony, if walk across the fence and all the way down as far as you can, you can go through everybody's room. Looking through windows in everybody’s room. Anyway, it weren't like that at the Grand Hotel. Ha ha. I was in my room, it must have been three o'clock in the morning, something like that. And I was washing my face in the bathroom. And they got phones in the bathroom by the way, so I picked it up and said, 'Hello' and it was somebody that I knew so I started talking on the telephone. And ..., I heard somebody come in my room. From the balcony, fourteen floors up. So I said to them 'I think there's somebody come in my room.' So I went out to see who it was. It was a couple of newly weds. Had gotten out of their apartment, their room, and had come across all the balconies and walked into my room. With a big bottle of champagne. So I invited them down here tonight and they're out there somewhere tonight. Anyway, I want to do this song for them, hope they have a long and happy marriage. It's called I Ain't Gonna Go To Hell For Anybody." (courtesy bjorner.com)

6. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

:laughup: Nice one, HR. We occasionally forget that the Song and Dance Man is also a Funny Man.

DeeThomaz, HominyRhodes and aoxomoxoa like this.
  7. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

:agree: It's an integral part of my yoga/yoghurt regime. I'm trying to stay alive for the '74 Tour box, the '75 and '76 Tour boxes, the BOTT box, the JWH outtakes and my grandson's graduation. I have a good idea when the latter will occur; if only I knew when the rest were due...

8. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm waiting as well. I just hope they step up the releases to multiple releases per year, they can call them Bootleg Series releases or BS (as in B_ll Sh_t) releases as far as I care, just make them happen...SOONER rather than later, as old farts like me may not be around for many more once-per-year releases. :yikes:

9. Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman Well-Known Member

Well, it only takes an I to turn a hyphen into a cross....

10. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

looks like a + (plus) sign to me. Now, if it looked more like the letter "t"...

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  11. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

That's from my tape. It really got around.
    There's another rap about Leadbelly and the 12-string guitar.

San Diego '79 takes no prisoners. Listen to Dylan's high tinkling rhythm guitar at the bottom of Man Gave Names to All the Animals while his vocal floats atop a band that is bright airy and spontaneous. It's just magical.

Dylan's delivery of the ballads will take you back to Visions of Johanna in '66. "Covenant Woman" and "When He Returns" will destroy any resistance.

12. Captain Caveman

Bob's not very tall.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  13. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

And to think this gigantic expensive official historical representation of the tour is (as I understand it now) robbing us of moments like that! (I'm not kidding in the slightest....what Bob fan willing to drop 200 bucks would NOT want these once-in-a-lifetime documentation of where his head was at?

HominyRhodes likes this.
  14. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

Oh man that "Slow Train" '78 soundcheck is FIRE. Man, what a cool band. That conga stuff is on point.

HominyRhodes, DeeThomaz and bluesbro like this.
  15. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

I listened to that very show last week - great! I also remember some chat from the 1980 Fox Warfield run where he brings on someone to interpret sign language for the audience during To Ramona... after calling out to the audience to ask if anyone is deaf!

HominyRhodes and Percy Song like this.
  16. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Captain Caveman likes this.
  17. You need to hear "Get Happy!" next and "Imperial Bedroom" (1982) especially as that's his best album!

No, see above! ;)

That's precisely correct! I said at the beginning when it was £175 on Amazon UK, that it would drop to £125 before rising to £150. Okay it dropped to £121 before climbing to £149.99 currently. That's fairly close anyway!

Richard--W and DeeThomaz like this.
  18. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Re Costello, every album, up to and including Blood and Chocolate, but minus Punch the Clock and Goodbye Cruel World, is essential.

Having said that, there are a couple of tracks on Punch the Clock - Everyday I Write The Book and Pills and Soap - which I would also class as essential.

19. I wouldn't argue with that although, for me, This Year's Model and Armed Forces haven't aged all that well - they sound quite dated now

20. racingman11

racingman11 Forum Resident

The boxset + bonus 2 CD is sold out on the European store.

HominyRhodes and RayS like this.
  21. Beatlebug

Beatlebug Another box set won't do any harm

Dweezil Zappa is now on BBC radio 6 telling a story about Dylan turning up at his house with a view to working with his dad, and would spend some of the time talking about his new religious beliefs.

The dogs in the house always barked at Bob for some reason, and Frank said"I'm sorry, they don't like Christians".

Needless to say the record never got made.

22. Captain Caveman

Fantastic, well done that Frank.

23. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

Is there audio of this, or a link to quotations of FRANK or Bob, not dweezil? Not questioning you but I never heard this before.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  24. slane

slane Forum Resident

Dylan approached Zappa with regard to producing Infidels (didn't he?), so Bob's religious beliefs were not that 'new' by 1982/3.

25. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature? (Matthew 6:27)

Bob's clearly not bothered:

The short and the tall are coming to the ball/I go there all the time (Huck's Tune, 2007)