Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes - where we're at currently...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GetRhythm, Apr 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

2. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

OH MAN OH MAN OH MAN

:goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie:

Nick Dunning and Scope J like this.
  3. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Good point ... the New Basement Tapes album now comes out a week after Bootleg series 11. Nice marketing.

4. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Maybe they'll do a 45rpm version :laugh: of 24 lps.

Kermit27 and Rupe33 like this.
  5. GetRhythm

GetRhythm Senior Member Thread Starter

These are actually two completely different songs, both in circulation for quite some time now.

As the perpetrator of the recent "Basement Tapes - Where We're at Currently" thread, I have to say I'm pretty amazed at all this. The fact that they did such a thorough archival dig and are making the whole enchilada available in at least one format is truly stunning. Certainly exceeds my wildest expectations...

One thing I find a little strange is the track sequencing posted earlier, which while grouping most tracks together logically, doesn't seem to follow any sort of order - chronological or otherwise - at least as we've come to know it. Would be interested to know the thought process behind it...

Absolutely salivating at the tons of previously uncirculated stuff listed though - I guess there really were a lot more untapped reels (as some had posted in the other thread...)

6. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I'm looking forward to owning the deluxe set but with the Beatles mono vinyl and christmas to save for there's no way I can get this set before the new year.

7. windfall

windfall Senior Member

The amazon info claims that the running order is based on Garth Hudson's numbering system...

8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I know next to nothing about Bob Dylan's output, but thanks to this forum I know that I must buy and hear this material (for the first time). :)

9. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

For me this set seems like the real motherlode. I m not sure if any music has affected me more than the official and unofficial basementtapes. A glanze throug the tracklist shows there is tons of stuff I have not heard so this is good news

Guy E likes this.
  10. GetRhythm

Help - where's the audio samples mentioned in the first post - not seeing them on Amazon...

11. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

In due course, it will be interesting to know what is new to you . . .

Bill likes this.
  12. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

IronWaffle likes this.
  13. GetRhythm

14. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

OK - of the 38 tracks on the vinyl set could they deemed to be the cream of the 138 available? Or are the other gems in the other 101 too? - I mean I know they are all gems but I see there are multiple takes of many of them that account for perhaps 1/4 of the 101.

I guess what Im getting at is the vinyl even worth getting or is it a case of it is good enough and the 6 CD is for Basement completists?

Guess Ill just have to get both.

15. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Here I am, still waiting after weeks of speculation for an official announcement regarding the Harrison box, when like a theif in the night Dylan goes and drops this on me!

DmitriKaramazov and scocs like this.
  16. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Amazon.co.uk selling for £34.99 which seems a great price to gamble a pre-order at!

17. Moray

Moray Forum Resident

Am I missing something? Can't see it on Amazon UK.

18. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

It's the MP3s - not quite the same.

Tim

19. Moray

Moray Forum Resident

Ah, ok thanks.

20. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

crispi and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  21. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Damn, that was misleading, the songs were clearly labelled as being from disc 1, 2, 3 etc so I assumed it was the CD version!

I see they've changed it now so they are not labelled as from specific discs.

That's a shame. ....

22. GetRhythm

Vinyl and CD versions seem to have at least one take of all the major Dylan compositions, but there's some curious choices filling in around the edges to say the least. "900 Miles"? "I Don't Hurt Anymore"? Hmmm...where's "Banks of the Royal Canal", "See That My Grave Is Kept Clean", "Rock, Salt and Nails"...among others?

Get the Deluxe. One day at least, you'll be glad you did.

Easy-E likes this.
  23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Well they gotta get this out of the way first. Not all of this material is really first rate. It's demos in fact with some chestnuts in there to be sure. But I've always felt it was done in between two magical periods. And is not exactly top drawer stuff. Lots of bum tunes in there as well as classics. But they had to do this complete because of the big boxes that are already out there.

Bender Rodriguez and Bill like this.
  24. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

I guess you are right. First I thought... Who buys bootleg CDs nowdays? But your point makes sence. Even though I love Dylan, I am not sure how much I need from these sessions? Hope I live to see the 1974 - 1985 outtakes released! Think I will go for the 2-CD set this time.

25. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

Good grief, and everyone says the record companies model is broken. Their model is sure getting a lot of my money this year with the big Dead sets, Beatles mono, new Lucinda coming, Dylan Basement tapes, Zeppelin deluxe, many more! Maybe these record company guys are smarter than we thought?

johnnypaddock likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.