Bob Dylan's Bootleg Series, Vol. 10 (part2) Bob Dylan

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

The LP has virtually no credits listed on the cover and and a plain white inner sleeve.
    Great info in your post. Thanks!

2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

What the hell is Alligtor Man & Runnin'?

3. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Good question. As the tracks don't circulate, it's impossible to say with any certainty. But "Alligator Man" *seems* likely to be Jimmy C Newman 1961 country hit.

As for "Runnin" I'm stumped. Any ideas? Am I missing an obvious possibility?

4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

"Running Bear" by Johnny Preston (written by the Big Bopper: J.P. Richardson):
    It sort of fits in with Bob's humor and came out in 1960, so it would have been a quirky favorite of a teenage Bob.

"Running Scared" by Roy Orbison --- 1961: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGfMkp0Bfmc
    A very long shot, but who knows ...

Arnie

5. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I'd forgotten it the SP "Like A Rolling Stone" had made a reappearance on Masterpieces! Your theory is as good as any that I can imagine to explain it, but somehow I find it tough to picture Dylan sitting around listening to any specific recording of his own with any regularity.

6. aoxomoxoa

Runnin Down This World?

7. slane

slane Forum Resident

Yes, I agree. But I do think he may have felt that the IOW version of LARS was a worthwhile inclusion on SP, not a 'f**k you' to his fans as most commentators seem to suggest. I don't have the 'Rock Of Ages' CD with me and I really want to listen to that version! I do remember thinking how similar the jumbled lyrics were to the SP version.

8. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Interesting tune (unusual to hear minor chords in a cajun/country song like this) and I can definitely hear 1970 Bob doing this - in fact, switch out the fiddle for a harmonica solo (and it's such a rudimentary solo that you can almost hear the harp wheezing those same notes) and drop Bob's husky vocals in and it's basically already there.

9. slane

slane Forum Resident

Even though 2 tracks from the 'Nashville Skyline' sessions have been included on this set, it seems that the duets with Johnny Cash were off-limits (maybe saved for a future volume?). Anyway, here's Bob & Johnny doing 'One Too Many Mornings':

10. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I can't stand listening to the Dylan-Cash stuff. They're singing styles just do NOT mix for me, especially with Bob's Nashville Skyline voice. I'm glad none of those songs got used -- and besides, I don't think Jeff Rosen wanted another huge voice distracting the listener from enjoying Bob's voice. I think one of the main motivations for this Bootleg Series is to highlight that incredible 1969-1970 voice. Yes, George Harrison is on a couple of tracks, but he's just playing, not singing, so that wouldn't be a distraction.

swedgin and Carserguev like this.
  11. Sean Murdock

12. slane

slane Forum Resident

I agree with that part! But I do like the clip above, and 'Big River' too.

13. Sean Murdock

I guess I like them trading verses better than singing together, but I'm still not a fan of the Dylan-Cash sessions. But I'd never seen that clip before, and it is a joy to watch -- thank you!

14. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

This could very VERY VERY good. I don't know if folks recall Uncut's Tell Tale Signs feature, but it was incredible (and the expanded on-line version was a treasure trove). Probably offered more genuine insight into Dylan's post-Oh Mercy studio career than any other single source before or since (with the obvious exception, of course, of the fabulous music heard on the set itself).

I don't recall them giving The Witmark Demons the same expansive treatment. Then again, how much was there to say about that set? Colin Escot's liner note's were quite good but in truth, the contents of that set were fairly self-explanatory. Like TTS, I think BS10 will benefit from being put into it's proper context.

I hope UK fans are warming up their scanners. I don't know if I have the patience to wait until the issue reaches US shores.

15. Sean Murdock

Totally agree. The web-only interviews (which were excerpted in the print issue) were amazing and revelatory.
    :agree:
    I'll happily look at any scans that turn up, but the issue will probably hit the U.S. a week or two before BS10 comes out -- which will be perfect for me, as I enter the completely-obsessed-unable-to-think-about-anything-else phase of anticipation.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  16. slane

slane Forum Resident

I've just had a re-listen to the 1971 version of 'Like A Rolling Stone' with The Band from the 2001 'Rock Of Ages' CD.

It does sound like Bob's brain had 'learnt' the 'Self Portrait' version of the song at this time. Some of the similarities to the SP version:

1. End of Verse 1: 'About having to be scrounging, scrounging around for your next meal'.
    2. Chorus: 'How does it feel', sung with the same emphasis as SP (how DOES it feel).
    3. Second half of Verse 2: almost identical mangled lyrics in exactly the same place.
    4. Misses out Verse 3.
    5. Similar tempo and overall feel, though edging towards the 1974 version.

It's a interesting journey through the 4 available live versions with The Band: 1966, 1969, 1971, 1974.

17. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Great analysis-- really, really strange in retrospect.

18. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Sometimes Bob adapts lyrics by others; sometimes he adapts his own.

19. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I haven't read the article yet but it's a twelve-page article including sidebars from Charlie McCoy, David Bromberg, Al Kooper, Greil Marcus and Steve Berkowitz. Despite your hints, I'm not going to scan it (decent journalism needs your financial support!)
    but I'd say that it's worth seeking out.

20. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Thanks Slane.

Also, if my memory serves me well, I believe the IOW Rolling Stone was in the key of G, and for the Rock of Ages concert they brought it back to the key of C.
    For me the IOW LARS is a dynamite performance in spite of Bob’s flubs. Just listen to how Robbie, Rick, Richard and Gath are communicating with each other, bouncing off Levon’s drums. The drums are practically the LEAD instrument, they are so expressive. Listen to how the guitar and the tom-toms punctuate the song.

21. slane

slane Forum Resident

Yes, that's right about the keys. Maybe G was better for Bob's 'Nashville Skyline' voice.

I enjoy the IOW version too, hopefully the new mix will improve it.

22. aoxomoxoa

I dig the Isle Of Wight version of LIKE A ROLLING STONE.
    I am psyched about the new release. I wish it wasn't so damned expensive!

23. Linolad

Linolad Forum Resident

Mr Jinks,

I have the 3 cd version only these days (I did own kol on cd but it has long gone missing) what are the differences from your point of view?

24. Giant Sea Panda

Giant Sea Panda Forum Resident

I've got to be honest, I'm much more excited about the liner notes than the music.

ruben lopez likes this.
  25. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

The look on Cash & Bobs face at the end of the song is priceless. Cringe heaven !

It is a bit of fun but not releasable on any commercial CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.