Bob Dylan's Bootleg Series, Vol. 10 (part2) Bob Dylan

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

This thread certainly is interesting and informative. I am eagerly awaiting my copy of #10. Thanks guys.

2. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Some random questions/observations:

*We seem to operating on the assumption that "Spanish Is The Loving Tongue" is from the 4/24/69 Nashville session. The more I look at the contents of BS10, the more I feel it's likely to be the 3/3/70 NYC session rendition. I mean, EVERY other SP-releated track on this set is from the NYC sessions, so why have we been assuming this track would be the exception? We have no reason to think the compilers saw any reason to give the Nashville sessions (or the 1973 Dylan LP, for that matter) representation on this set, so why should think this track will be the exception? BTW, if folks are relying on the Heylin book for their information in this session, it seems he overlooked the existence of this performance due to it being listed as "Spanish Eyes Mi Corazon" on the recording sheet.

*I can't wait to hear "House Carpenter"-- not only is it one of my favorite early Dylan tracks in it's BS1-3 incarnation, it's a song I can easily imagine soaring in Dylan's Self Portrait voice. Also, I have to admit I enjoy the possibility that it could potentially blow apart the reasoning and speculation of an entire book (Dylan's Daemon Lover by Clinton Heylin, which methodically explores the vexing question of just where Dylan may have learned his version of "House Carpenter"-- I know that doesn't sound like much of a page-turner, but it actually a very engaging musical detective story).

*Could Disc One be entirely acoustic and percussion-less? There are tracks that are hard to fit with this theory (for example, I suspect "I Threw It Away" would likely have drums and I'd think "Minstrel Boy" probably has electric guitar), but if so, it might make for a unique and fun listening experience. Also it would mean that the version of "Time Passes Slowly" on the YouTube trailer will be "#2" (probably the version with George Harrison).

*Also, based on sequencing, I'm thinking that "In Search of Little Sadie" will likely be a particularly striking example of a song that benefits from the
    "pre-overdub" treatment (which would not have been my instinct otherwise). After all, it's the second track on the set and the first "no overdubs" example. You don't feature a track that prominently if the reaction to it would likely be "so what?"

swedgin, Sean Murdock and slane like this.
  3. Soul Music Fan

Soul Music Fan Forum Resident

In the track listing it's listed as a New Morning outtake, I just assumed it's from a 1970 session.
    I'm not sure why anyone thought it was another SP/Dylan 1969 outtake?

4. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Well, I can appreciate that (though I for one will be buying a copy regardless once it shows up in the US), but thanks for the quick overview all the same. Certainly sounds like this will be the most sustained examination of this era in recent memory!

5. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

The listings that I have seen listed it as a Self Portrait outtake. But those listings are so succinct that I imagine the truth may sometimes prove to be more complicated (for example, I'm still thinking that some of the "Waiting For the Gypsy" and/or "Time Passes Slowly" versions will possibly be from the SP sessions). We'll see.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  6. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

What makes it even more complicated is that not only is there a New Morning outtake of this song (which was officially released as a b-side), an earlier version from the '69 SP sessions was an album track on the 1973 Dylan LP (which was otherwise mostly an album of New Morning outtakes). This era of his career was a bit... incestuous. (is that the right word?)

7. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

The official track listing identifies it as "(unreleased, Self Portrait)" -- not as a New Morning outtake. Speaking only for myself, once I saw it listed as a SP outtake, I just immediately connected it with the Dylan version, whereas I usually think of the b-side version as a "New Morning" track, even if it was technically recorded during the later Self Portrait era, simply because of the performance and vocals. So, that's why I assumed it would be an alternate of the Dylan version, although thanks to Dee I'm now hopeful it will be the better one.

8. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

A bit OT, but has anyone heard the version of Spanish is the Loving Tongue that Dylan played, i think in San Antonio during the Rolling Thunder tour? I think that version is by far the best I have heard of that song. It truly gives me goosebumps. I had a digital copy of it somewhere but it's long gone and i'm aching to find it again! On vinyl it would be sweet! One can hope..

9. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I started reading it today ... be prepared for exactly the sort of 'case for reappraisal' that you might expect to accompany new product. Never having read a book on Dylan, even I found the body text of the article to be telling a rather familiar story, but there are enough details about the forthcoming set to whet the appetite of those who have ordered it.

10. Sean Murdock

Gosh, I hope you're right! When I saw it listed as a Self Portrait outtake, I just assumed it would be an alternate of the version that ended up on Dylan -- but you're right, the March 1970 version is technically a Self Portrait outtake, even though it has more of a New Morning vibe. Your explanation makes sense to me .... now, why couldn't you have figured this out BEFORE I ordered the Pure Dylan comp just to get a remastered March 1970 "Spanish Is The Loving Tongue"? :tsk: ;)

11. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Well, that version has A LOT to recommend it, too! Aside from the inherent frustration when you order a CD on the basis of a single track (or two, in this case), I think you'll be well served with that disc.

12. Soul Music Fan

Soul Music Fan Forum Resident

Sorry, I stand corrected. It is listed as a SP outtake. I was sure I saw it listed as NM outtake, perhaps just wishful thinking.
    I agree that "Waiting For the Gypsy" and/or "Time Passes Slowly" could easily be from the SP sessions.

13. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Oh, it's terrific. And very different from the several mid-to-late-60's versions of the song in circulation. It's clear the song really stuck with him, so I'm kinda surprised it never made a NET appearance (unless I'm overlooking something).

Forum rules sadly don't let me point you to it. But it's definitely in wide circulation.

mogambotek likes this.
  14. slane

slane Forum Resident

I've seen some listings say 'Spanish Is The Loving Tongue' is from NM, with a timing of around 3:50 (IIRC).
    If it gives any clue, the solo piano version runs to 3:38, the Nashville 'Dylan' version runs to 4:13.

I'm a bit curious why 2 NS recordings have been included, if they are just alternate takes. But didn't Robert Shelton's book claim that Dylan held an earlier NS session? Has that ever been disproven?

PS. 'In Search Of Little Sadie' - I've always thought the title of this might have come about because Bob was in search of the song 'Little Sadie', trying different chords, literally just making it up as he went along! An undubbed version of that might be interesting.

15. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

Gotcha. No worries :)

Honestly, I don't really like the other versions of the song that much, but this particular version... it's gut wrenchingly good!

16. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

From Uncut: 'From the May 3 sessions for Self Portrait there's also a noble solo piano version of 'Spanish Is The Loving Tongue''.

The two NS tracks are indeed alternate versions: 'Country Pie' is apparently nothing special, but claims are made for 'I Threw It All Away'.

slane and Sean Murdock like this.
  17. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Well, according to iTiunes, the BS10 version is 3:51, which is pretty close to the NM version. Looking at some of the other track timings, it doesn't seem that most of the rest of the iTunes track times strikes me as terribly illuminating, except that both "Minstrel Boy" and "All The Tired Horses" are 1:39 and 1:15 respectively (not surprising in the case of "Horses"). Otherwise, they seem roughly in line with the familiar versions.

This mystery NS session doesn't ring a bell. Looks like I gotta get the Shelton book out of storage. Not making my life any easier, Slane (but who am I kidding? I LOVE this stuff!)...

18. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Fascinating! There wasn't previously known to be a May 3rd version (presumably from '69, as there aren't any 5/3/70 recordings known to exist).

19. Sean Murdock

Oh, I know -- just kidding ... I'm still looking forward to getting that CD. :righton:

20. Sean Murdock

So ... the b-side version is from June 2nd, and this BS10 solo-piano version is completely new? Even better!

DeeThomaz likes this.
  21. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Steve Berkowitz, speaking of the IoW concert: 'I should add that we've mixed everything both completely analogue and digital and, for the people who care, I think the vinyl LPs that come from this will be pretty great. They're made like records were made, from tape and analogue mixes. [snip] They're pretty special.'

22. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Also fascinating-- the fact that there didn't seem to be a vinyl version of the Isle of Wight concert seemed to be a point of major disappointment to fans here. This certainly seems to imply that that impression was wrong (but I recommend that Dylan fans don't get too excited-- I can see a way that this could be interpreted as not confirmed a vinyl IoW but rather a broader comment on the 2CD set).

BTW, when it comes to Dylan catalog projects, Steve Berkowitz always seems to give the best quotes.

23. slane

slane Forum Resident

What I remember more is that the Shelton claim is referenced in the NS chapter of Paul Williams 'Performing Artist' book. I think it says Sept.68. It would be great if Dylan had recorded a version of 'I Threw It All Away' then (we know he had the song), and it's on this CD. Back to reality...

Tracklisting from here: http://michaelgrayouttakes.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Bob Dylan
    The Bootleg Series, Vol. 10 - Another Self Portrait (1969-1971) CD 1
    1 Went To see The Gypsy (demo)
    2 Little Sadie (without overdubs, Self Portrait)
    3 Pretty Saro (unreleased, Self Portrait)
    4 Alberta #3 (alternate version, Self Portrait)
    5 Spanish Is The Loving Tongue (unreleased, New Morning)

24. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Man. Great catch. Since this release release was announced, I've been pouring through the Heylin, Krogsgard, Dundas, and Bjorner sessionographies. And in the case of the later two, it's never clear if the differences from the earlier work are the result of updated research or simply transcription errors. Now it seems the same question has to be asked of the Michael Gray site. The official press release and the BobDylan.com sites list it as a SP track, but these kind of differences make it hard to be definitive. Arghhh!

For now, I guess I'll go with the Uncut contention that it's a may 5th, 1969 recording.

25. slane

slane Forum Resident

Then again, it also says 'unreleased' above for 'Spanish'. Shouldn't it be 'alternate version'?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.