Bob Dylan's "Hard Rain"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pablo, Aug 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Yes, I had both and the UK CBS version sounded far better than the US.

2. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

You remember the TV broadcast well!...I too bought the album based on that and it remains one of my favorite Dylan records...Would love to see a Bootleg Series release devoted to this in audio and video form---why I might even buy a 'Deluxe' package of this one!

poolie, alchemy, mark ab and 2 others like this.
  3. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I got into this album when Melbourne was an epicenter for punk/new wave, and I thought the energy and looseness of this (and the Royal Albert Hall boot I was listening to at the time) co-existed quite nicely (despite my friends laughing that I was into a "dinosaur" like Dylan). The two Rolling Thunder tours are great, and the Bootleg Series release didn't do the tour justice.

I recall cassette taping the Hard Rain TV special via the headphone socket from my portable TV, and feeling very pleased with myself because Heaven's door was not on the LP. I had to put up with a TV station voice-over announcing the evening's programming over the top of it.

The two Rolling Thunder videos are well overdue for a release, but I'm resigned to the fact that it will probably occur when Eat The Document and Let It Be are released on BluRay.

I can't reflect on this period of my life being absorbed in the brilliance of Bob without recalling my excitement that he would tour, and I would get to see him. I went hungry to buy tickets for every night (from memory, it was $17 for the open and $21 for undercover in the Bowl - a huge amount for a struggling student). I was so looking forward to experiencing the energy of the albums I've mentioned, only to find Dylan turning up in a white suit (not dissimilar to a very much disliked popular teeny-bopper idol at the time), and orchestrated unadventurous and dull arrangements. A big letdown.

Hard Rain
    has never let me down. It is overdue for a deluxe reissue that will do it justice.

4. qwerty

And I failed to mention how much I love these tracks that are also absent from the LP:
    3. Railroad Boy
    4. Deportee
    5. I Pity The Poor Immigrant

5. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Have owned it for 40 years. Go back to it every so often out of obligation, primaily for Shelter. Lousy sound and not great encapsulation of the RT Review, IMO.

My Hurricane Carter concert bootleg was always the go-to.

6. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Is this the only Dylan concert recorded on video from the 70's?

7. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Rob Stoner's bass work is a big part of why Hard Rain works so well. I agree entirely. I hope every live version of Idiot Wind and Isis are included. I really love Bob when he's so angry he can't help himself.

8. qwerty

There is The Last Waltz film (with him wearing the silly hat), and there is some home footage from the '74 tour of with The Band circulating.

9. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Love this live album. Dylan was in a very intense period. Such passionate vocal delivery.

ianuaditis likes this.
  10. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Never thought I'd see a Complete basement tapes and Complete Blonde on Blonde sessions before a remaster of this album on CD.

Best Dylan live album, IMO.

(Apart from the bootleg series 4)

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    poolie and SteveM like this.
  11. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Ronno! Love Mick's playing on the RTR era.

12. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Is there any information of a possible DVD release of live shows froms the seventies? Any rumour of "new footage" discovered or in Bob's vaults?

13. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

If ever an album did not need to be remastered, it's this one. Sorry, but the arrangements don't work and the playing, especially Dylan's, is sloppy. I also didn't understand the choice of tunes included: "I Pity the Poor Immigrant" and "Deportee" were the highlights of the TV broadcast -- from what I remember of it -- yet neither is on the album. :shrug:

14. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

Stoner and Wreyth were a damn good rhythm section for Bob. They made it sound like a band and not just Bob and some hired guys .... To me Love & Theft onward has sounded like its a real band as well.

My fave cut from Hard Rain is Memphis Blues Again .... Scorching version.

Gonzo-a-gogo, poolie and Carserguev like this.
  15. Adamski777

Adamski777 Forum Resident

A good friend that got me into this album said listen to Shelter From The Storm "it's Dylan doing the Clash before the Clash existed"

I love Hard Rain and find it a good live document of a man in pain who isn't laying down but is still fighting. Awesome.

Gonzo-a-gogo, SteveM and Carserguev like this.
  16. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Clearwater '76 was filmed, but never released.

poolie and Frittenköter like this.
  17. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

it was remastered, for the Complete Albums set. (and I believe for digital editions too). I couldn't speak to how much, if at all, it benefited, as that's the only version I've heard

18. Slubberdegullion

Slubberdegullion Forum Resident

I remember a quote I read on this forum, someone from Dylan's Bootleg Series team said they missed the boat on releasing this show as there was no longer any money to be made from music DVDs.

19. philly67

philly67 Forum Resident

Love this album a lot, feels just so crazy raw and loose. Kinda like the flip side of Blood On The Tracks to me, BOTT="Can we talk this out, i know you're hurt and i did make some mistakes..."/HR-"Yeah, whatevah-One Two Three..."

I surprised that no one here has picked up the Blu-Spec, i've went back & forth on getting it myself, but never could quite hit the button. They really need to do a deluxe version of this tour and the one before it, could make Cutting Edge look not so intimidating!

poolie likes this.
  20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I bought the Blu-Spec CD2. . . . got a lot of them. It sounds great. I'm not a huge fan of this LP but once I started buying Blu-Spec CD2s I didn't stop until I had all of them that weren't SACDs by Sony or MoFI. . . and a few that were! This now makes my Complete box superfluous except that Street Legal has a unique mastering in there not yet available elsewhere (as the Blu-Spec CD2 is the remix). I'll probably sell that box though. . . I'll probably never listen to those discs again.

21. philly67

philly67 Forum Resident

Thanks for the input...well, at least *I* thank you, my wallet on the other hand...

22. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

I am in the love division for this album. In my top 5 of Dylan albums. The intensity of the performance really gets me. I'd buy a deluxe edition in an instant. Preferably with dvds of both the original broadcast and the Clearwater show.

23. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Also Bangaladesh Concert w/ George Harrison, early 70s.

poolie and qwerty like this.
  24. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

I'm under the impression that home video releases of Dylan's archival material from this era would be more complicated and expensive to release compared to CDs/LPs, since financial agreements would have to be worked out with the other performers who appeared (Baez, et al), as well as with the other songwriters/publishers whose material was performed (i.e. Deportee, a Woody Guthrie song).

25. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

Intense album.

I have 2cds of it: a CBS Uk issue, and the Complete Colombia version. The Complete Colombia version has a glitch on it, and I don't understand why there's a glitch, but I enjoy it as an album. But then I also enjoy Budokan, but hey no accounting for taste.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.