Bobby Darin Question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Apr 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

is there a career spanning best of/greatest hits CD for bobby darin out there.

with the early stuff and with 'if i were a carpenter".

every one of the many available seem to have something missing.

i do not know a lot about bobby darin, so i might be way off on this.

thanks.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  2. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

3. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

4. _Tom

_Tom Forum Resident

well, clearly they're selling a signed copy... ;) .....lolol

John B Good likes this.
  5. Retro Music Man

Retro Music Man Forum Resident

I have this one, which was released in 1995 by Atlantic / Warner Music Australia.

It's got a great track listing, and most tracks sound acceptable. The problem is that a few songs - eg. I'll Be There and Somebody To Love - are ruined by the most horrifying NR I've ever heard! It literally sounds like they're emanating from a telephone speaker, with muted treble, swirly artefacts, and just general mush.

I thought 'hey, it's from 1995, it won't sound too bad, right?' WRONG.

For that reason, unfortunately I wouldn't recommend it.

[​IMG]

Bobby Darin - Greatest Hits (1995, CD) | Discogs

Paul Sofronoff and Suncola like this.
  6. AJH

AJH Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These two offer an excellent overview of his Atco output- not his entire career. As I remember it, most of the songs are in stereo, and many sound very good. If it matters to you, however, Splish Splash is the stereo version, not the mono single version.

hodgo likes this.
  7. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

I have those and you are correct about the source material. I also have the box set and it lacks a few things but is an excellent set, probably out of print since I got it over 20 years ago. If you don't want to search high and low for the box set the two single discs is where I would spend my money.

As a postscript Capitol had a disc in their Collectors' series with the Capitol hits, very worthwhile and there is release of Motown material, I believe on the Real Gone label (originally may have been Collectors' Choice). And there is an Warner/Atlantic Original Albums box set that has 5 of the early albums that was reasonably priced ($20 to $30). Good Luck!

8. Matt Van Riper

Matt Van Riper Active Member

Hey guys, I am new to the forums and I am curious if anyway can help me find the original versions of beyond the sea and Mack the knife preferably in mono not speed up? I’m very confused as to why this is being done. Appreciate it.

9. Retro Music Man

Retro Music Man Forum Resident

You can get the original mono versions of pretty much everything on The Hit Singles Collection (as mentioned above). Mastered by Bill Inglot so, of course, it sounds great :D

10. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Can I find Bobby's version of the Rolling Stones' `Back Street Girl' on CD anywhere other
    than on the Rhino box-set?

11. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Daryl M likes this.
  12. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

@rjp, did you end up buying a Darin CD?

13. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

i bought this one for $2

[​IMG]

Monosterio likes this.
  14. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident

Is there any good vinyl 'best of' that someone could recommend?

15. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

16. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

That was my first Bobby Darin CD. It's been in my collection for 35 years and it must be one of the most played CD's in my collection.

17. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

He’s become one of if not the most embarrassing sellers on Amazon. His “ask” is always a laugh.

He should look on their website to see if can buy a conscience or soul because seeing his prices on anything are ridiculous and that means he’s lacking both.

18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

There's "The Bobby Darin Story". One caveat, has spoken introductions on several tracks "Mack The Knife" and "Beyond The Sea" major offenders. Also does not cover the later Atco years, Capitol, or Motown tracks.

19. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I tried to leave a comment on one of thebookcommunity offers but Amazon deleted it.

I've often wondered whether it would be dangerous to put in a Buy, but cancel it within a few minutes, just to let the guy feel the pain of losing a bite.

20. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

The variation that always gets me is on “Multiplication”. As played on the radio, it always had a spoken tag at the end (“They better!”) But this was not on the commercial single. I believe it is on some, but not all of the reissue versions.

21. StanComedian

StanComedian Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.