Bono (U2) to publish memoir - Nov 2022

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by deadbirdie, May 10, 2022.

1. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Just my two cents on why there is such a vitriolic backlash on U2 in recent years.
    Firstly there was always a backlash on U2.
    They always wrote about controversial subjects like racial inequality and injustice in places like El Salvador, USA, Northern Ireland, South Africa etc.
    This was going to rub the people who didn't necessarily agree with these opinions up the wrong way.
    The difference was in 1984, 1987 and 1991, there was no easy way for people who disagreed with these views to hammer them into oblivion.
    There was no Internet in 1984, 1987 and 1991. Now there is.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
    Man at C&A, ARK, EwaWoowa and 4 others like this.
  2. aravel

aravel starchitect...then, father!

...and Coldplay's Chris Martin doing the same: free carbon shows! now, let's celebrate with millions tons of multicoloured confetti waste every concert!" :sigh:

3. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

His secret heroin addiction?

4. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

As Bono said:

ARK and longdist01 like this.
  5. dunkoid

dunkoid Forum Resident

Don't really understand what beef people have with Bono. I recall him getting stick as far back as the Under a Blood Red Sky concert for being a bit up his own ****, which he may be, but that's hardly unique when it comes to musicians.

ARK, aravel, MrGrumpy and 5 others like this.
  6. tingly

tingly Forum Resident

His November book tour was announced today, 14 cities. A bunch are on Ticketmaster. One unofficial report claims that tickets start at $50+fees. A copy of the book is included with the ticket. You get it when entering the venue. https://www.u2.com/news/title/surrender-the-book-tour/

JeffMo likes this.
  7. ILoveLucille

ILoveLucille The infernal desire machines of Dr Steve Hoffman

-Bono is actually Larry's dad.
    -Bono often doubts Edge's ability to play the blues.
    -Bono is under 5ft tall, but wears artificial shins to elevate his height.
    -That time Bono got really drunk and played Eno's bald head like a conga drum.

ARK, PDK and Rich C like this.
  8. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Lotsa politics. Snoooooze.

9. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

There are always detractors, but this round will have long-time fans who walked away due to Bono's friendship with a growing list of problematic characters.

10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Announced a book tour today - a night of stories and song!

Elliottmarx likes this.
  11. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Which problematic characters are they?

12. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

Not my cup of tea but if you're into that kind of thing - wow, that's not a bad deal at all.

ARK, tingly and JeffMo like this.
  13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

We caught a night like this one time for Patti Smith and it was quite fun!

dee, idledreamer and Elliottmarx like this.
  14. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Fairly standard procedure these days. I recall Nick Cave charged a small fortune for tickets to his promo tour.

tingly likes this.
  15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Bono was willing to work with anyone who'd support his causes. If that meant cozying up to W, he did it.

Saw on Twitter that some Spice Girls fans are mad at Mel B because she spoke at a conference of conservatives.

Mel actively pushes for awareness of abuse issues, and I suspect she's of the same mindset as Bono: if it'll help with her cause, she'll work with the opposition.

ARK, EwaWoowa, Elliottmarx and 2 others like this.
  16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Oh, I didn't look to see who complained. Just saw some negative reaction to Mel B's appearance at a Tory conference.

Which I get - same as I understand the reactions to Bono and W.

But I respect the ability to make common cause and swallow pride potentially to get done what you view as the greater good.

Elliottmarx likes this.
  17. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

I started getting into U2 as of late (October & War being my favorite!), I might take a look into this when it comes out.

Thankfully, after looking int this thread,I'm glad I don't pay much attention to an artists personal life that much.

ARK and Gavaxeman like this.
  18. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

No, in the case of Mel B she is actually a Tory supporter who has pictures of herself with many prominent Conservative members in her Facebook and Twitter timelines.
    I don't think Bono would do that even if I agree with you he is probably a rather conservative person these days.

In my opinion it doesn't make sense to try and solve an issue through the people who are the cause of the issue. I mean, do you want to feed the world with charity from people who resent paying their taxes and go to great lengths to dodge them? I think it's ridiculous but obviously Bono can do whatever he likes and so can Mel B.

PS: Did U2 think that they were denying money to Irish schools and hospitals when they set up their company in the Netherlands? The same FREE schools and hospitals they used before getting rich.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
    Vangro and Rufus rag like this.
  19. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

U2 give a lot of money to schools in Ireland they have various causes which they donate to, also give millions from tickets sales every time they play in Dublin, They gave €10 millions to the Ireland to buy covid supplies.

zphage and Gavaxeman like this.
  20. Music Geek

I am glad they do it but, in my opinion, taxation remains the best way to fund schools, "various causes" and covid supplies.

21. Vox78

Vox78 Forum Resident

Man, this argument is so tired.

They do pay tax in Ireland….Loads.

They are an international business …a rather clinical way to refer to a rock band, but it’s true.

Ireland accounts for less than 1% of their income.
    Why should Ireland receive every cent of their tax?

Then there’s the obvious fact that 99% of wealthy entertainers do exactly what U2 do regarding taxation…but for some reason only U2 deserve opprobrium for doing so!?!

Oh, and Bono is only 1 of 4 members of the group….Maybe the other 3 have more of a Mick Jagger/Jay Z attitude to taxes.

22. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

I read somewhere but don't know that it's true is that the rich who give to charities also has great benefits in their tax relief. In other words what they donate would be taken in taxes anyway!

It's Felix likes this.
  23. Lazerize

Lazerize Forum Resident

Well you'll be happy to know that they pay taxes in Ireland. Since this issue is so important to you, would you like to talk about the business dealings of any other rock bands who do much leas good than U2 have done? Would you like to complain about any singers who *haven't* secured HIV/AIDS medication for millions of people?

Or maybe, since in this is the thread for it, you'd like to discuss the upcoming book and/or the extracts that have been released so far?

24. Music Geek

Who paid for their schooling, for their doctors, for their vaccinations, their unemployment benefits? The Irish taxpayers. Even today, they live in Ireland, if they need an ambulance who pays for it? The Irish taxpayers. Please let's stop this discussion. Ireland is not the US where you could claim that you pay for most things yourselves; Ireland, like most of Europe, has a welfare system to fund (which they used in the past), public health care to fund, pensions to fund, etc. That's why Ireland should receive every cent of their tax.

25. Music Geek

You know perfectly well why a discussion on Bono brings up this argument. He can do whatever he wants with his money but if you are a taxdodger I am afraid you lose the credibility needed to preach for change in other people.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022