Bonzo Dog Band complete recordings box set in the works

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Alcoholic, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Alcoholic

Alcoholic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Announced by Andrew Sandoval on Facebook.

"I have been working on a complete recordings box set for Snapper of the Bonzo Dog Band. Still don’t know how many CDs & DVDs it will be, but it will be “enough.” Released, unreleased, studio, live, BBC, demos - everything."

Andrew Sandoval

2. reverendjim

reverendjim Forum Resident

The band, on its CrowdJustice page, is claiming 18 discs (and a title of "Still Barking"). Hope that's true!

3. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

It's sad indeed that Neil Innes won't be here to see this released, now.

If it's safe to discuss this finally, I have contributed some off-air radio session and live material for consideration after being approached to do so earlier last year, so hopefully there will be some or all of that cleaned up and included. At that point it was proposed for the end of 2019 and at somewhere in the region of 15 discs (glad to see they've upped that to 18).

Everything went quiet around August and I thought the project was in limbo, so I'm very pleased it appears to be back on again.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Including The World recordings ?

Colinjpush likes this.
  5. Surferghost

My understanding is that it will be strictly Bonzos recordings in order to include as many band rarities as possible.

6. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Great news. Been playing the three disc set in the car this week. 18 discs - terrific news. Even with the BBC set there is still masses of material to look forward too. There was another broadcasts CD recently. Haven't got that one. Will this set make it redundant?

longdist01 and pablo fanques like this.
  7. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

Would love to see this happen. I think, as a culture, we really need a doorstop Bonzos box like this. Music has long forgotten how to be funny and silly without being lightweight or disposable. It's a skill we could do with in 2020.

8. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Genuine question, why would it include The World recordings?
    The World were an entirely different band that Neil briefly fronted between the fourth & fifth Bonzos albums. If you include The World then you also have to include Grimms which involved both Neil & Viv and everything starts to get a bit complicated. I presume and hope this will be strictly Bonzo, though a similar set of post Bonzo Neil would be hugely welcome as his solo work is badly served on CD and not easily available.

phillyal1, Shawn and Surferghost like this.
  9. alexpop

How is it going to be padded out.
    Bonzo Dog Mono/Stereo mixes etc ?

10. Surferghost

I would say that would be very likely.

dormouse likes this.
  11. alexpop

As is ..apart from .org uk LPs I’ve got the early Viv Cornolgy designed cover 3 cd Edition.

12. Surferghost

I can't really say as I was only very peripherally involved early last year. What I can say is that I on my own contributed a few CDs worth of BBC and live material for consideration, but I'm not privy to how much (if any) of it will be used.

EDIT: Which is not to claim they came to me specifically for my vast unreleased treasure-trove, or anything - my contact informed me that they already had some (but not all) of the material I offered. I'm just one of many collectors who were approached.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    ajsmith, anth67, Jarleboy and 4 others like this.
  13. Surferghost

Indeed, there are enough of Vivian Stanshall's Rawlinson End BBC recordings to fill a box set on their own...

14. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

Oh, if only!

That was my first touch with Viv - a John Peel session in 1988. I can still remember being simultaneously delighted and bewildered. Half the school was talking about it the following day.

15. Surferghost

I still don't understand how a 6-disc BBC box of Rawlinson End sessions hasn't happened - they repeat them often enough.

16. alexpop

I’d buy!

17. Surferghost

It's just occured that if they're going to be including visual media from some of their many TV appearances, that will probably be a licensing nightmare and possibly that's what has held the box up.

Either way, I'm glad Snapper are doing it - anyone who has their Pretty Things box from a few years ago will know they can look forward to a labour of love with this.

sbeaupre, JohnS, longdist01 and 3 others like this.
  18. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Especially as Do Not Adjust Your Set has just recently been re-issued. I imagine some reunion era material will be included as some of that was issued on DVD at the time.

19. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I, for one, will be keeping my eye on tHIS thread, for any up-dates on this BOX!:goodie:
    I only have "Cornology" and the BBC disc.... never got the re-issues, in the hopes that one day, a SUPER-BOX will be made available!
    Sometimes, it pays to be poor!

20. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Worst band name ever.

21. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I've heard worse....

22. Surferghost

I'll get them to change it, immediately!

sbeaupre, klockwerk, Ere and 8 others like this.
  23. alexpop

Hope it’s not a cash in cut n paste job.

24. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

And still someone tried to steal it!

Incidentally, it's great, it is the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band and it is perfect. God bless Viv and Neil. True greats both.

25. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Worst SHF comment ever! :laughup::biglaugh::laughup::biglaugh::laughup::biglaugh::laughup: