Boris Grebenshchikov and Robert Wyatt

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by verhfrank, Apr 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. verhfrank

verhfrank Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just heard an absolutely gorgeous track called 'Stella Maris' by Boris Grebenshchikov (with Robert Wyatt guesting on flugelhorn?). I am a huge fan of the latter but am not familiar with Boris G.
    Does anyone know what album/CD this track is from? I did a search under his name but everything is listed in Russian (duh!) so that's not helping...

Thanks for your help. Stay safe!

2. verhfrank

Bump...

3. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

It is on an album called "Salt" from 2014.

4. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

That's a single that was released in advance of the album (but is probably much easier to find).

5. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

The song Stella Maris is included in the album "Соль" released in 2014. But the album contains a different version of this song - Robert Wyatt did not take part in the recording of this version.
    He participated in the recording of the single version, which was released in 2016. The single did not come on sale through stores, it was only distributed through the crowdfunding system and it was a very small circulation.
    Here is what Boris Grebenshchikov told about the story of the creation of this single:
    "One day during the recording of the album "Соль", "I thought - how great it would be if on the last song of the album" Stella Maris" played on a cornet one of my favorite musicians in the world - Robert Wyatt. That song was very good for him. I wrote Robert a letter asking. Robert politely refused - "would be glad, but I stopped doing music forever." "When the song was finished, I sent it to Robert without any back thought," Here, actually, is the song I meant. " The answer knocked me off my feet. Robert wrote that he more than liked the song, for its sake he is ready to engage in music again and asked for an opportunity to work with it. "Two months later, he sent his version of "Stella Maris", where he not only played cornet and trumpet, but sang."

6. verhfrank

Thanks so much for all the replies! I am so very much taken by this song even though the lyrical content obviously escapes me but I will follow the leads you guys offered and dig deeper into Mr. Grebenshchikov's catalog.
    And thanks to zinan's reply I now also harbor hope that Robert Wyatt will be coaxed out of retirement and resume making music. Joy!
    Thanks again, everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.