Bosch, Jazz Vinyl Loving Cop On Amazon

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dubmart, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

One of the best shows on right now, just pure quality throughout. The writing is just so tight, it really reminds me of The Wire in this regard (also because quite a few of the cast are in both!).

2. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

I just watched episode 4 of season 4 last night and I didn't see that one coming! I've read the first five books and thought that character would be around for awhile. It certainly is going make Bosch's life a lot more complicated!

3. HILO

HILO Senior Member

Who was that?

4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

His lady friend... without spoiling to much

5. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

his ex-wife Eleanor Wish

6. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

He uses invisible interconnects and speaker wire from what I can see. Check Season 7, Episode 5 at around 31:18. You can see his 6300 RCA connects dangling on the floor even though his daughter is playing a record. I don't see the speakers connected either. I know it's just a TV show but this little detail amused me (along with the lack of headrests in the vehicles and no one wearing seatbelts). Still, love the old Marantz turntable, Mac 240 and whatever the tuner/pre seems to be (a Mac?).

grx8, Rupe33, Juggsnelson and 3 others like this.
  7. hoytis

hoytis PDX Cratedigger

Ha! Yeah, a lot of gear heads talk about the inconsistencies in that show. There was also a close up of some vinyl spinning, can remember the artist but it was definitely a song from the Impulse! label, and what we were looking at was a Verve record :)

Regardless, gotta love his Ohm Walsh speakers.

8. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Guess not all that interesting to most of the members here... ;)

bhazen and audiolistener like this.
  9. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I like the show a lot. That the protagonist is a jazz fiend makes it more interesting. I've picked up a few records based on the show, including the version of Patricia that Art Pepper released in 1979 with Cecil McBee on bass. It's a great record.
    As to the hi-fi, it's cool that he has an older system- looks like an MX110(z?) being used for a preamp-tuner, which is a nice piece (happen to use one in my vintage system as well). I'm glad there is a 7th season- and having watched 4 of the episodes so far in this latest season, I'd say they didn't just go through the motions on this.

10. teag

teag Forum Resident

I got into some Art Pepper because of this show also. Glad I did.

11. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I picked up that version of "Patricia" as well. Wonderful tune!

teag likes this.
  12. Fahzz

Fahzz Forum Resident

Dude, his system is obviously wireless. LOL
    One thing bugged me though: His dog is named Coltrane- I get that, but wouldn't he just call him 'Trane?

timind, Daryl M and csgreene like this.
  13. FritzL

FritzL Adrift & Dumbfounded

Haven’t watched the latest season yet but previously he had:
    McIntosh 240 amp, vintage $3,500.00
    Speakers are Ohm Walsh 4 (Walsh Accoustics)
    McIntosh MX110 tuner/preamp MX110(Z).
    Marantz turntable, Marantz 6300.

I think I got this info from a post here on SHF and what I could figure out on my own.

The second speaker sometimes disappears in scenes.

Dennis Metz likes this.
  14. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Based on this thread, looked up that Art Pepper release. Seems to be the "Today". The vinyl version kind of bites: anything in a condition acceptable to me (at least VG++) is above $100. Sealed originals go for up to $459. So I picked up a sealed CD on Discogs, for $15.80. I love Art Pepper!

Dignan2000 and avanti1960 like this.
  15. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

love his show, just finished season 5. one of the few shows i can keep watching. the last couple of seasons have been lacking the mac / marantz ohm system. cool when they played it, nice sounding.

16. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

This doesn't come as a surprise, but the books are even better than the show (which is still solid!).

17. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Tried to get into this show a while back but stopped for some reason. Now everything seems to be time travel with no dialogue just a plethora of explosions.
    Maybe I’ll try to get into it again.

avanti1960 likes this.
  18. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

they get better. i like the slower realistic pace. just finished season 5 it was excellent, season 4 also good. worth the effort to get to know the characters.

Blue Gecko and Khorn like this.
  19. Benzion

BTW, those Ohm Walsh speakers are dynamite: heard them at the NY Audio Show in 2019 (I think, maybe 2018) - they were, to my ears, some of the best sounding speakers at the show, easily better than some of the more pedigreed brands present. I have a review somewhere on this forum.

molinari and Agitater like this.
  20. Benzion

Just started Season 1...:shrug:

Juggsnelson and avanti1960 like this.
  21. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

We’ll try to catch up get into it again. Just curious if any here sub to the Britbox channel and if so how is it ?

22. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I had to look but I paid US$40 for a Japanese pressing from 1979 and added shipping (DHL) to get it quick. Sounds fine. In fact, I'll often look to Japanese pressings for records of this era.

23. Benzion

Yup. Now a Japanese pressing is over $300 on eBay.

24. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

I wonder what kind of system a slightly more modern version of Bosch might have and what artist they might be listening to?

25. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Inspiration from this thread. Listening to Pepper Mosaic Select that has the entire "Return of Pepper". Patricia is a beautiful song.