Bosch TV series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Peace N. Love, Jul 24, 2015.

1. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

But that view! :goodie::pineapple:

George P and ssmith3046 like this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member

[​IMG]

3. George P

George P Notable Member

[​IMG]

It's much better at night! :laugh:

4. ciderglider

ciderglider Forum Resident

Don't think I would sleep well there, knowing it's just those flimsy looking scaffold poles keeping my house out of the ravine. But I suppose Bosch is all about "grace under pressure".

JorgeGvb likes this.
  5. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I'm well into the `Bosch' books and have yet to encounter this pair. Are they unique to the
    streaming series?

JorgeGvb likes this.
  6. George P

George P Notable Member

Haven't read the books, sorry.

7. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

They're currently shooting episode 8. Just got a note in the neighborhood that they'll be at Runyon Canyon tomorrow. Maybe Crate & Barrell will be there, though they're not the hiking types.

8. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Do you know when is the next season is expected on Freevee?

Scope J likes this.
  9. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I love the show.
    I am I the only one who is not a fan of the actress playing his daughter?
    She seems stiff, no personality.

Claviusb, mx20 and Scott222C like this.
  10. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

She's perfect, she's dad's girl. Bosch is not the huggy bear type. She's a female Bosch. She's a cop and is even learning about jazz.

11. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

No, they are in two or three of the books. The Drop ?

Daryl M likes this.
  12. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

The newest Bosch/Ballard book, Desert Star is another great read by Michael Connelly.
    I've been a fan since the first Bosch book in 1992. If you start reading Connelly's books don't limit them to only the Bosch series. Many of his characters show up in books where they might have a supporting role, including Harry.

13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I think she (Madison Lintz) does a great job as Bosch's daughter.
    I'm reading Desert Star as well. Just a few chapters in. A bit slow so far but I'm sure the pace will pickup. Always enjoy Michael Connelly's books!

gkella likes this.
  14. Dhreview16

I’m going to try to save my Desert Star for Xmas reading. I think Connelly has been back on form for a few books now, when so many crime and thriller writers have just become formulaic or worse.

15. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

This in from Michael Connelly:

Two new shows are in development at Amazon Studios. The first, the Untitled J. Edgar project, follows Harry Bosch’s former partner, Detective Jerry Edgar, who is tapped for an undercover FBI mission in Little Haiti, Miami. In this glamorous city, he is forced to balance his new life with the gritty underbelly of the city, while being chased by his mysterious past.

The second drama, the Untitled Renée Ballard project, centers around Detective Renée Ballard, who is tasked with running the LAPD’s new cold case division. Beyond simply investigating unsolved crimes, Renée is dedicated to bringing credibility to the department and justice to the community. Having learned from retired ally and mentor Harry Bosch, Renée does things her way – solving cases in unconventional ways while navigating the politics of being a woman on the rise in the LAPD.

16. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I'll likely skip the J. Edgar show, as I really didn't like his character in "Bosch" and also because his character was so different from his portrayal in the books.

The Renée Ballard show is intriguing, especially since she is likely going to be replacing Bosch if Connelly keeps the books going. If you're reading the books, you'd know what I'm talking about. I don't want to add spoilers here in case some of you are still reading them.

Bhob, Amnion and Lightworker like this.
  17. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Can not wait or a J, Edgar series.

18. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

On the surface, neither of these sounds that appealing to me, but I really liked the character of J. Edgar from the original series so I may give that a go. Although, I should say, a lot of his appeal was the way he and Bosch played off each other.

I can’t even remember who the other character is.

Juan Matus, Lightworker and George P like this.
  19. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Me neither. I'm guessing we didn't see her in the mothership series. Kinda disappointed they didn't build a show around a Latino character, demographics and all. I liked that sketchy looking bald detective in the show.

robertawillisjr and Wounded Land like this.
  20. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Yeah, he was great! Had hoped he would (will) return

21. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I've read and reread all of Connelly's books since 1992. In a few of the early books J. Edgar was more interested keeping his expensive suits clean and selling houses than focusing on being a detective. Not that likeable of character.
    I've enjoyed the Ballard and Bosch books. The last book, Desert Star, was my favorite out the Ballard series.
    I've tried watching the Bosch series but the Bosch that I've developed in my mind over the last 31 years is just too different than the TV Bosch.
    A new Bosch/Haller book coming in November so I'm looking forward to that.

Bhob, bresna and MrGrumpy like this.
  22. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I agree with you that J. Edgar was presented as a really lousy cop in the books. He was so good at avoiding doing actual police work that it really forced Bosch to be the "lone wolf" police detective that got the perp no matter how many people he ticked off in the process. If J. Edgar had done half of what he did in the TV series, Bosch wouldn't be the Bosch we came to know & love. :)

I've really enjoyed the Ballard/Bosch books too. I think it "modernizes" the police environment. In the more recent Bosch books, he became this curmudgeon lone wolf who ignored the rules and sorta/kinda (meaning not really) got away with it because he got the bad guy. In the real world, breaking all those rules would have had him tossed out the door by book 2. :) I like how Ballard is a lot more resistant to breaking the rules as it makes it more realistic. Bosch can still break the rules, after all, he's not a cop anymore, and she relies on him for that.

I had a lot of trouble with the series in the beginning. But eventually, I just treated it as a TV show with characters that have names from the Bosch books. They really aren't the same at all.

Amnion, Lightworker and ssmith3046 like this.
  23. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Great points. To me having read and watched, somehow I still enjoy both. I'm actually looking forward more to the next Lincoln Lawyer installment.

Lightworker and Scope J like this.
  24. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

25. Dhreview16