DCC Archive Bowie and DCC (attn: Holy Zoo!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Nov 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

A while ago, someone asked Steve if he could look into David Bowie. Steve said something like they wanted to remaster Bowie but they wanted $1.0 M up front which is why Ryko got to do the (now old) remasters.

Well apparently Steve got to do some Bowie after all! The details:

David Bowie - 1966
    DZS-EP-101
    Limited Edition
    Copyright 1988 DCC Compact Classics

Digitally remastered from the original Pye Records master tapes by Steve Hoffman. Original mono versions. Contains six tracks.

From the CD notes:
    "... David Bowie in 1966 before he went on to achieve international acclaim... performing in and around London using his real name David Jones, with a band called David Jones and the Lower Third."

Picked this up in a used CD store in Amherst MA! I just loooove used CD stores!

I was just thinking: Most people say that the original RCA Bowie CDs were the best - unprocessed. Next were the Ryko's which are not that great (tweaked treble, boosted base, etc.) but are listenable. IMO the worse Bowie CDs - mind you I only have Ziggy Stardust as I have absolutely NO desire to pick up any more - are the new Abbey Road remasters. Totally lifeless.

Why are things getting worse?

2. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

Where was that used store in Amherst? I live in Ware, MA and go to Amherst all the time. I used to go to a place called Al-Bums, but they have closed. I miss it - they always had something good there.

3. Gary

I discovered three in Amherst. Newbury Comics, ? Record Train ? and something else. Unfortunately I did not memorize (or even look closely at) the name of the streets. The main intersection - stoplights - where there is a Subway Sandwich shop - you can almost see the three stores. Within a block walking distance.

Lets try again... going up #9 into town, you turn left at the lights which is the intersection at the top of the hill. Next lights turn right - Newbury Comics is a block away from the lights. The other stores are on the street you first turned on.

Don't stay at the Lord Jeffory. It's haunted (seriously - ask the staff).

But Chris, does this mean that these places will be cleaned out when I get there next time ;) (Oct 2002)?

ALERT: If you are a Metallica fan, BOTH DCC Metalica CDs are at Newbury Comics - Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning. $27.99 (?)Unfortunately I am not a M. fan!

[ November 02, 2001: Message edited by: Gary ]

4. Douglas

Douglas New Member

That's great that there's a Steve Hoffman mastered Bowie CD out there. But it's that super early, embarrassing Anthony Newly material. Please Mr. Gravedigger, et. al. No matter how good he makes it sound, it's not going to make the songs any better. Now if we discovered a Hoffman mastered Ziggy that would be different. :)

5. Gary

I agree, Douglas. Well here is something from Gary's overactive imagination for you! Please note the following is purely speculation on my part. I actually know (less than) nothing!

A previous post asked about DCC's Pink Floyd upcoming releases. No official response - of course. There could be sensative negotiations in the works, competition ,etc. These things would prevent any pre release leaks. Or it could be totally false.

But Steve has been experimenting with SACD mastering. He has said that there will still be gold discs produced because he was not happy with the dual layer SACDs (this is from foggy memory). But this could have changed by now! Who knows?

Now Pink Floyd has 20th, 25th anniversary issues of Dark Side. A 2 CD GH package called Echoes is soon to be released. To me it looks like they are trying to market the old catalogue because there is no new product coming out (remember, this is just speculation on my part). Another marketing avenue? DCC SACD and normal CD gold discs of Floyd! Sounds good to me! This would generate market interest in the stock catalogue as well. Maybe.

And getting back to Bowie: perhaps others would see this Floyd marketing and say "Hey, good idea! DCC, can we contract out our Bowie Catalogue to DCC for SACD and DVD-A?"

:D Told ya I had an overactive imagination! But there is always hope..... isn't there? ;)

6. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Thanks Gary, it's in!

Sorry it took so long... I got a new computer this week, and have been busy reinstalling all my software (I'm now running on Mac OS X! Unix at home on a Mac, whoo-hoo!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.