Brand: Vinyl storage solutions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Justme87, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Another great and innovative product! My collection will hit 2,000 this month.I have replaced all my gatefold LPs over to your 4 gatefold sleeves, my trifold and quad fold are finally sleeved using your 13" x 13" inners and I have switched from MoFi inners to you 2 mil inner sleeves. You could say I'm a big fan.

Any word on when these will be available to the public?

JohnBlutarski likes this.
  2. vss

vss Well-Known Member

Hi and thanks for the support and kind words! A lot of hard work goes into make new and innovative products for the VC. The box sets are scheduled to be in stock NLT Aug 26. You can preorder now and secure the quantity you'd like. The next shipment is approx 50% sold out already.
    Mike

3. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Mike thanks for the tip! I just placed an order for enough to cover all of my boxes that size and enough for the foreseeable future. A question though: What is the minimum recommended size box that will fit in the box? A number of my boxes measure 29mm and 32mm. Will they fit without a lot of additional bending and rippling? Thanks again.

4. vss

vss Well-Known Member

Well this version is 34 mm wide, so there is some extra space, primarily for the 29mm box set. I do plan on eventually launching a 32mm and 30 mm wide version.
    Thanks

5. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Thanks for the many new and innovative products! I like supporting and buying products or services from small companies. They are almost always more innovate, customer friendly and offer great support. The fact you are a veteran owned company making products sourced from Canada & the US makes me even happier to support your company.

I recently bought several packs of your 13" x 13" oversized outer sleeves. One of the things I really liked about then was the 1/8" or so difference in height between the front and back surfaces of the sleeve. This makes it easy to see which side the opening is on. More importantly it makes it simple to open the sleeve and put a record in. I can't tell you how many times I have fumbled around with an outer sleeve trying to find which side the opening is on. Then it is often a struggle getting the surfaces to split apart.

Historically I have alway used MoFi or Analogue Production rice paper type inners. I recently switched to your 2 mil inner sleeves and I bought a bulk pack. I have some of the same issues with rice paper inners as I do with outer sleeves. Sure it is easy to find the opening due to the printed labels, but often the inners are just as difficult to open as the outers. Sometimes the inner and outer surfaces stick together like they are glued. I will say that your 2mil inners are a little easier to open due to their added thickness. I would love to be able to have some sort of aid to opening these records. I understand the difficulties in doing this since the sleeves are one long 2 layer sheet on a long roll that gets sealed and cut apart. I have not seen any rice paper inners that are easy to open all the time, but I also figured you are just the man to solve this problem. Perhaps with a split height opening (like the 13"x13" outers) where the back material is slightly higher than the front. Or with some sort of half moon cut out somewhere along the top side. This would allow someone to find the opening and easily separate the two surfaces. If you found a solution to this problem you would have the gratitude of vinyl lovers everywhere and probably sell a ton of rice paper type inners that are actually easy to use.

Thanks again for your creative product line.

Vinylfindco likes this.
  6. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Yes understood but I was wondering if you had a sense of at what width do the narrower box sets begin to look "silly"?

7. vss

vss Well-Known Member

It may be pretty loose on the 29 mm box set, but it will generally hold it's shape. I hope this helps?

Jim0830 likes this.
  8. Leao

Leao Forum Resident

I have been very pleased with VSS products to date. My most recent order included Premium Plus 3mil Master Inner sleeeves in a pack of 25 with the plastic packaging labeled "Made In China". I prefer not to purchase China origin products if there is a NA alternative.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
  9. vss

vss Well-Known Member

I hear you. Unfortunately, due to the manual process of the design of rice paper sleeves, ALL brands are made off shore. If anyone is claiming their rice paper inner sleeves are made in NA, I would highly doubt that claim.

If it helps, at least with me, the money stays in Canada/USA to develop North American made outer sleeve products. Currently VSS supports 14 direct and indirect jobs in Canada/USA and that doesn't include couriers.

Thanks
    Mike

JohnBlutarski and eddiel like this.
  10. johnnyb1964

johnnyb1964 Treats please!

I just got my first shipment from VSS. I got samples of each of the 12” sleeves. I really like the material. Very clear and sturdy. I also got packs of 7” outer and inner sleeves.

I want to place an order for the 12” sleeves, but I have to decide if I want the ones with the flap or not. The one I got with the flap seemed to work well. You just have to fold along the crease first. It works surprisingly well.

Thanks for some great products!

11. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Do you find that the 12" Dual Pocket Outer Sleeves w/ Sealable Flap (Tape on Body) - 4mil work for most gatefolds (using 2) and most Stoughton types jackets (using 1). I'm thinking Tone Poet and AP Prestige respectively.

My brief research is leading me to order these for their multi-functionality. I can always use Sleeve City oversized (as I currently do) for any really large gatefolds that don't fit the above.

I do see he sells slightly oversized 12.75" Dual Pocket Outer Sleeves w/ Sealable Flap (Tape on Body) - 4mil. Do you are anyone else have experience with these?

I also plan to add the 3 Mil Inner Sleeves. Thinking of starting off 100 on each but may add a few of the other options (oversized, box set, etc.).

12. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

So during covid a lot of the tip on jackets seemed to be running large, so i hd to get the 12.75” ones to fit them, recently they seem to come back to more normal.

however, i keep packs of 12” and 12.75” around for anything thats off in sizing.

i keep 13” around too but rarely need them

These are easily my favorite sleeves of all time.nif you can wait until black friday, they usually have a decent sale

gabbleratchet7 and mikemoon like this.
  13. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I use the regular 2mil and 4mil dual sleeves (with flap or sealable flap) and they do fit gatefolds plus the two lps (obviously you can't see the gatefold unless you take the cover out). They fit but it's a tight fit. Could be too tight a fit for some modern reissues though. You might need the 12.75"

No issues with 1lp releases that I can recall.

They sell singles of many of their items though. Might be worth checking to see if they have any singles of the ones you are interested in.

mikemoon likes this.
  14. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Good info and thanks for taking the time to respond.

It's a little confusing the newer gatefold options when the ones we are discussing seem to do as good or a better job...maybe just more options. I will contact VSS too before ordering.

Do you have experience with the 3 Mil inners or the Clear inners?

15. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

I'm sure it's already been mentioned, but always best to request samples of the different sizes. Once you have them in hand it's so much easier to see exactly what you need and what sleeve works best for different types of covers.

eddiel and Swordsandchains like this.
  16. Swordsandchains

i use the 2 mil inners and love em

mikemoon likes this.
  17. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

I've really come to dislike the 4 mil dual pocket sleeves. The flap at the bottom can crease if not completely put back on the shelf right (can't just slide it in) and having the record in the back can cause ring wear to nearby records if the shelf is too tight. I realize both of these issues can be mitigated.

I've come to like the regular VSS outers with foldable flap for single LP and some thinner gatefolds.

mikemoon likes this.
  18. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I use the 2mil inners. I bought a few 3 mil singles. Both are nice. The 2 mil are fairly sturdy, relatively speaking. The only difference is that the 3mils are thicker. Both excellent quality though. I just stuck with the 2 mil as they did the job. It really depends on how thick of an inner you want.

I did buy some clear inners to test out. They are excellent quality but I didn't see any advantage of using them. I think they aim those for people who have picture discs or want to see the colour variants. They sell these in singles as well so you can get one or two to test out.

mikemoon likes this.
  19. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Do you have the flap at the bottom of the sleeve with the pocket opening at the top? It's how I use the dual pocket sleeves and I've not had any bottom creasing with the resealable or regular flap. It sounds like you do but I could be misreading your description.

The single lp sleeves with flap are great. I really like those and I've started using them more.

20. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Great responses. I'd definitely order samples with my first order.

The foldable flap looks irritating to me...not sure I'd want to mess with it over and over again. I would order a sample though.

I'm not usually a fan of traditional resealable sleeves but once it's sealed on the cover with the dual pocket, no real reason to have to unseal it again and again. This is what makes this design appealing.

It seems the 12" Dual Pocket Outer Sleeves w/ Sealable Flap (Tape on Body) - 4mil is the most popular item on their site for a reason.

21. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

If you double them up, you can have unlimited protected access to the gatefold correct?

22. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

That's how I do it, yeah.

23. Swordsandchains

it doesnt work as perfectly as it seems. Sometimes each side of the gatefold can be different sizes and then its off when trying. When it works its great, when it doesnt, its annoying.

mikemoon and Blurry like this.
  24. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

They sell sleeves specifically for gatefolds. Those might be better to use: 12" Gatefold Sleeves

mikemoon likes this.
  25. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Have you tried the sleeves with the flap rather than the resealable ones. Maybe those will work better?