Brazil (Terry Gillam Film) - Criterion Question?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Skull, Apr 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skull

Skull Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello,
    I have the 3 disc set but I'm looking for a single or double disc version that has both versions of the film and bonus material. Tried looking but can't seem to track it down.

I love the 3 disc version but it's eating up way to much of my limited space. Just trying to optimize shelf space.

Oh, and I still use a DVD player. It's a multi-region DVD player.

Thanks! :laugh:

2. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

You could buy the blu-ray. I think that has all the same material as the 3-disc set. Or take the discs out of the cases and store them in sleeves or something. Or buy a third-party DVD slimline case that will store three discs in less shelf space. Buying a whole new DVD edition of the movie just to save a little shelf space seems a little extreme, in my opinion (which, TBH, you didn't ask for).

Matt I and longdist01 like this.
  3. Skull

I was going to give the cumbersome 3 disc set to a friend and get a new one to replace it.

Can you play a blu-ray on a multi-region DVD player? I don't have a blu-ray player.

4. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

No. Get a blu-ray player. They're cheap.

5. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

The Criterion DVD box set includes three cuts of the film, not two. The Criterion BD only includes two cuts: the Director’s Cut and the Love Conquers All version.

In order to get the U.S. Theatrical Cut, you would need the Universal one-disc BD:

Brazil Blu-ray Release Date July 12, 2011

audiomixer and uzn007 like this.
  6. Skull

I have a DVD player that plays all regions. Can I get a Bluray that does the same thing for cheap?

7. Skull

I guess I could. All bluray players play DVDs, correct?

Matt I, audiomixer and Pinknik like this.
  8. stepeanut

It is a little more complicated for BD, but yes, you can buy multi-region players. The machines need to be physically modified, though. It is not just a case of changing the region via the remote. The players won’t be as cheap as a region-free DVD player, but mine is six years old, so I’m not up to speed with current prices.

Also, be aware that some 50i content (such as old European TV shows) may not play on some U.S. television sets. You’ll have to check your equipment and/or any Region B BDs before purchasing, to avoid disappointment.

9. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

You could get a slim case....

Joshua Tree likes this.
  10. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Correct.

11. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

You don't have room for the Brazil box? The Criterion box with the 3D holographic slipcase
    is something I have made room to display, but to each his own.

longdist01 likes this.
  12. edbert

edbert Forum Resident

The US theatrical version is the only one that works for me... I have the blu ray for that. The changes Gilliam made for the director's cut version are all bad. I have the Criterion DVD too but only use it for playing the Terry Gilliam commentary.

13. Skull

Is 'Love Conquers All' and the theatrical version the same? I first saw it on regular TV when I was a kid. I'm guessing it was the 'Love Conquers All' version.

14. Skull

Ha! Well, it's still there until I find a happy medium. I just have very little space. Honestly they could put all of that in one slim box if they wanted to.

15. stepeanut

No.

16. Skull

Is there a site with all the definitive versions? I don't see the theatrical version on the 3 disc set.

I'm guessing it was the 'Love Conquers All' version I saw on TV when I was kid.

17. stepeanut

longdist01 likes this.
  18. Skull

longdist01 and stepeanut like this.
  19. Skull

In a very bizarre and odd twist of fate a movie came on TCM last week that caught my eye because it didn't look like the typical movie they play on the channel. Even though the name seemed rather pedantic and mundane I decided to record it. I have to say I wasn't disappointed. It was quite surreal and revelatory and I saw some stunning similarities between it and Brazil. The film is called:

Brewster McCloud

The similarities between this movie and Brazil can't be a coincidence. The surrealism, the wry humor, the existential philosophy, the flying apparatus...the ending!

If you love Brazil I would highly recommend watching this film.

uzn007 and unclefred like this.
  20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Yeah, but...was there ductwork...?

jamesc, Ignatius and Matt I like this.
  21. stepeanut

This is a well-known, well-regarded, early film by the great director Robert Altman. If you’re looking to own a copy, it’s available on BD from the Warner Archive Collection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.