Breaking Bad, The Sopranos or The Wire

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by marke, Nov 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mfidelity

mfidelity Senior Member

The Wire for me. Sopranos/Breaking Bad close behind.

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Six Feet Under ?
    Yep! Excellent, terrific ending.

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  3. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

The Wire - in it's own league, unbelievable achievement

The Sopranos - fantastic masterpiece

Breaking Bad - quite good

Dave Hoos likes this.
  4. alexpop

8 year old thread, poll closed.

5. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

But the thread will never die.

6. alexpop

Will if locked ( least participating).

7. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

I'm actually curious if/when this thread will ever lock after two years of inactivity because it keeps getting bumped up every few months.

8. alexpop

Great tv series all three.

9. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Long live The Sopranos

10. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

It's interesting eight years on. The Wire will always be important, Sopranos also but they lost a little reputation because people didnt like the ending. Breaking Bad should also lose some hype over the years.

11. GregM

GregM The expanding man

People don't like endings in general. Sopranos was one of the most beloved families in television history. I hardly think it would have a better reputation of it ended in that family's bloodbath instead of simply going black and I think the ending is achieving greater respect with the passage of time. The whining regarding GOT's ending eclipses it, but that ending too will be better appreciated with time.

Breaking Bad just isn't in the same league, but indeed had flashes of brilliance.

12. alexpop

Ending ....

Six Feet Under.

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  13. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Gomorrah belongs with these 3 among best crime/drug series. It’s often called Italy’s Breaking Bad and has higher ratings than there than GOT. Unfortunately only seasons 1-2 are available in North America.

Gonorrah’s creator Robert Saviano’s new show ZeroZeroZero just premiered in Italy and will be on Amazon Video in North America on March 6.

14. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

Exactly!

15. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

It will never lock, it will just go into witness protection.

head_unit likes this.
  16. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I vote for...The X-Files :D

17. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Trust no one.

18. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Loved Sopranos and Breaking Bad.
    Never saw The Wire.
    I guess I should check it out.

rburly likes this.
  19. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

The 'secret sauce' in The Wire, as he is in practically EVERY project he does, is Wendell Pierce! He's worked in some heavy-duty acting ensembles, alongside some real heavyweights, and always stands out!

20. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

You should.

21. GregM

GregM The expanding man

He is really amazing in The Wire, isn't he. Definitely the best actor in the cast, which is saying quite a lot considering all the excellent performances. I also like how much old-school Baltimore presence he brings to the role, whether licking his fingers while eating those famous Maryland crabs or waxing philosophic about everyone having a code to live by. His character was fun for him to sink into, as he had arguably the most integrity of anyone in the BPD. I liked his interactions with Omar, who had loads of street cred and was on the wrong side of law, despite working with the police as an informant.

Dave Hoos and asdf35 like this.
  22. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

It sounds ridiculous, but he did a scene during an investigation with his partner; McNulty, where the entirety of their conversation was ONE word! You KNOW which one! And WE understood the entire conversation! I thought it was a smart and marvelous never-to-be-repeated technique, not to mention funny as hell!;)

23. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I watched the first episode today...so far so good

Dave Hoos likes this.
  24. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I loved this Opening Scene from the 1st Episode when I originally saw it, especially the dialog from around 2:05-2:45.

gkella likes this.
  25. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

One of my favourite 'little' Wire scenes (of which there are many) is when the Bunk chews out Omar and walks away. Omar spits and Bunk turns around and looks, unsure how to interpret that. I think he's even out of focus.

Those little scenes really contribute to The Wire's greatness, and honestly, there's not a bad or superfluous scene in the series.

One of my favourite funny scenes--one that never gets mentioned--is this one. Just a little moment that adds nothing to the plot and everything to the character:

That said, I think there are a couple scenes that are 'overwritten'--the famous '****' scene and the also famous Omar-in-court's 'same as you', but even these need to be in there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.