Brian Eno - Song by Song (& Album by Album) Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HitAndRun, Oct 31, 2021.

1. William Gladstone

William Gladstone I was a teenage daydreamer.

Diamond Head: An excellent take - visceral, atmospheric, melodic - the rhythm section yet again almost takes the cake, but this is the first one where Phil really, really lets the passion in his playing shine, and I feel the same exhilaration that I do from the Viva! version of In Every Dream Home a Heartbreak, when everything kicks in. 5/5

Patanoia, Putrifiers II, vcpj and 7 others like this.
  2. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Diamond Head
    Symphonic, soaring, cascading, singing, sighing. Insert gushing superlatives here. One of my favoritest tracks by anybody ever. Back a semi full of stars to the loading dock

Incidentally, of the photos I adore, the 801 cover has to be the worst, the grainiest, the most off-color. That’s because I am convinced it was taken during Diamond Head.

3. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

Diamond Head

Well, the guitar solo at the end of this track pretty much seals the deal for me. It's the soundtrack for everything that's wrong.

I'm now guessing that Eno played this show because he may have owed Manzanera a large amount of money?

I'm bowing out, see yah at "Science".

0/5

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    Putrifiers II, HitAndRun and eeglug like this.
  4. brew ziggins

Talk about YMMV.

‘Insert gushing superlatives here. One of my favoritest tracks by anybody ever’

v

‘the soundtrack for everything that's wrong.’

Well, I guess we can be pretty sure the truth is somewhere in that range :D

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  5. Front Row

Front Row Finding pleasure when annoying those with OCD.

I always like the the guitar solo on Diamond Head.

6. fried

fried Forum Resident

4.73/5 for the last 2 tracks. That is all.

7. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

For me to consider a live album to be great, the material has to be better live than in the studio. Not every song, but at least a few. There isn’t a single song on this album that is better live. This is still a very good version of Diamond Head. 4/5

8. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

Better than the studio version. Another classic. Erm it’s 5/5.

9. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident Thread Starter

Diamond Head

I'm not sure what Brian did on this track. I presume some sort of treatment of Phil's guitar.

I do like guitar instrumentals, but I think this while a good one isn't the best such track in Phil's oeuvre. It's nice, well performed, and produced.

3.5/5

10. HitAndRun

Putrifiers II, eeglug and AZRunner like this.
  11. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

Another very good cover that’s not quite as good as the original. I’m started to sound like a broken record. 4/5

For what it’s worth, I just found this live cover of Miss Shapiro/You Really Got Me by INXS. They are introduced as 801 songs and apparently they performed them regularly as Hutchence states, “This is the last time we’ll be performing this, thank god.” Indeed.

12. fried

fried Forum Resident

The definitive version for me, loses the sluggishness of the album version 5/5

13. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

Miss Shapiro. Better than the studio version IMO but then maybe I'm biased, having heard 801 Live long before Diamond Head. I find the keyboard part during the chorus a little too loud on the studio version. Urgent, catchy - just excellent.

14. brew ziggins

Miss Shapiro. I was looking at the lyric sheet while listening and this appears to be a truncated version. It ends too abruptly and I will express my displeasure at what comes next tomorrow. Put me in the 'it crushes the studio version' camp.

The chorus:
    Smokey broads and smoky windows in the square
    Come, come, charmer, come on over for the day
    Disappearing cocoa forests flash and die
    Fortunes crumble, all demolished in the bay

I totally dig this - it must have sounded majestic soaring out over the audience at the gig. Overall, this a rather odd, Dadaist lyric to be blasting at a crowd in 1975. As we saw with Sombre Reptiles, the 801 material pushed the boundaries of expected concert performance just a bit.

***** for what we got, wish it went on longer.

15. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

The segue to You Really Got Me
    Is sharp and effective

Phil’s outro solo majestic

I always loved the fast word play and Brian doesn’t disappoint

Movement Hampered Like at Christmas
    Ha Ha Isn’t Life a Circus

Bill McCormack in the unsung hero of the 801 live set

16. William Gladstone

William Gladstone I was a teenage daydreamer.

Miss Shapiro - Pretty faithful to the studio version, and that's fine. This definitely has a lot more spark to it, which is yet again because of the rhythm section, which again seems to ignite Phil. That said, still not one of my favorite Eno related outings. 3.7/5

17. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

I also heard this version before the studio version. Maybe that’s why I prefer this live version. Who Knows?
    Anyhow it’s another 5/5 for me.

18. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

Storming. The arrangement is better than the studio original, way more dynamic and fun. Shame it's shortened a bit, but what the heck, this is so bloody good!
    Loving how these nonsense lyrics were belted out onstage.
    And why not crash straight into You Really Got Me?
    Not essential, but a bit of a reward for those who've sat through the more complex tunes, and always a great live song, by whoever plays it. Makes perfect sense in he context of the gig.

19. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Miss Shapiro:

And we're rocking again! Very good song (not entirely enamored by the chorus. Not the lyrics, which are great, but the melody) which seaways nicely into the next.

20. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

The studio version has an odd but clearly intentional arrangement where it builds up momentum as it goes, just as the verse lyrics progress from coherence to gibberish. Each progressive verse "loosens up" both lyrically and musically until the whole track is going full steam ahead. I love that effect, but the more streamlined live arrangement obviously works better in that context.

And I forgot to mention this earlier, when we were discussing the studio version;
    I'm not a U2 scholar, or even a fan, but does anybody else hear U2's signature guitar sound in the chiming guitars of that track?

21. Mr. Heartbreak

Mr. Heartbreak Deep in the heart of darkest America

Haven't been able to keep up with all the threads on my list, but enjoy reading everyone's comments here. I think I like just about everything on 801 Live with the possible exception of the soon-to-be-discussed Kinks cover. But then all is forgiven when the final track comes thumping along. Great release for Manzanera and Eno fans alike.

22. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

I think you could argue that but it's a stretch to me. Good catch though. But who knows, there may be other supporting evidence for the link. I don't know if I've ever read anything authoritative (eg. a direct quote from The Edge) on the topic.

U2's guitar sound is often associated with the Edge's rhythmic/treble-y way of playing through a delay/echo and a lot of people (myself included) point to Keith Levene's playing on the first Public Image Limited single ("Public Image") from 1978. I would also argue that there are a number of uses of echo throughout the 70s career of Pink Floyd that may evoke the U2 sound (for example "Run Like Hell", or an older more far-fetched one, the echo on the bass guitar of "One Of These Days"). The other potential influence (without using echo) is Andy Gill's treble-y guitar playing on Gang of Four's Entertainment album. But all of the above is just speculation on my part...maybe there are more solid comments about how he got his sound. (I'm not sure I care that much about U2 to know, to be honest...I actually like Public Image Ltd, Gang of Four and Pink Floyd a whole lot more than u2!)

23. Patanoia

Patanoia Third Ear Centre

"Diamond Head" and "Miss Shapiro": in both cases, I'm in the "studio version is better" camp, but it's nice to have these live versions. 4.5/5 each.

On the U2 influence, "In God's Country" always reminded me of Roxy's "Prairie Rose", but I'm not sure why, and I've never heard the Edge mention Phil as an influence.

24. HitAndRun

Miss Shapiro

I like this version better than the original Diamond Head version. I find the studio version gets a bit muddy and indistinct, while this one remains more focussed and more driving. Brian's vocal sounds more confident. This, to me, is a very 'Roxy Music' style song, and could be on a Roxy album with a Bryan Ferry lead vocal. Perhaps that helps show how important Phil was to the Roxy sound.

While it takes a long time for the vocal to come in, I don't find the introduction too long at all. On the whole album the 801 band gels, but I think it particularly shows on this track because of the comparison to the original.

4/5

25. HitAndRun