Brian Eno - Song by Song (& Album by Album) Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HitAndRun, Oct 31, 2021.

1. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

That is indeed rather Enoesque.

By the time that album was recorded, Richard Sinclair had joined the band, so maybe Robert Wyatt provided the connection, as those two had been close collaborators going back to Matching Mole. Camel's sax player Mel Collins and Eno had both contributed to Manzanera's recent Listen Now!, but not on the same tracks, so they might not even have met during the sessions.

HitAndRun and dubious title like this.
  2. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Good guesswork! That's one thing I really love about this scene, all the musicians hopping around to play on each others records. Pre internet it's also how I discovered a lot of music. Also read the heck out of the rather amazing Rock Record book, it was like a bible for a time. The only thing that puzzles me a little is that even then Camel weren't the coolest band, maybe it didn't matter as much then. More diversions. Sorry.

[​IMG]

HitAndRun likes this.
  3. Patanoia

Patanoia Third Ear Centre

Yes, @Mr. Bewlay pointed this out when I shared this page from "More Dark Than Shark" when we were discussing "The True Wheel":

"Energy Fools The Magician" makes a great palate cleanser. There are probably other bands who would stretch this out to a full album side, so I appreciate Eno's brevity. 4.4/5.

4. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

And than you for introducing Frith to me. I’m sure I’ve seen his name in the credits before and just glazed over it, but today I actually took a dive and liked much of what I found. I especially liked a short piece with Keep the Dog called Legs that I found on youtube. Not very Eno-like, but just some great, out-there playing. Rene Lussier, on bass, may have been an interesting collaborator for Eno.

I can’t say I’m as initially enamored with Frith’s more recent chain and tin can technique, but that may take some time to appreciate. Anyway a new exploration has begun and I hope I haven’t strayed too far, but it was Eno and Hightops who brought me here.

5. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

I do think it helps to se the chain and tin can stuff live - which is true of a lot of avant/improv music (though by no means all of it!)

6. The Boy Slim

The Boy Slim Forum Resident

Energy Fools the Magician - And relax! This foreshadows so much of Eno's work over the next few years, his own albums and "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts" (and the second side) in that it's all about the feel. Listening back to it now it seems to end before it starts but I guess that's part of the joy in this track.

I've going with a 4/5.

7. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

Lovely track I think it fits perfectly exactly where it is. 4/5.

8. ciderglider

ciderglider Forum Resident

Yes, that book was a never ending rabbit hole for me.

9. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

He's playing with the Samla boys in that clip. Gravity, Speechless and Cheap at Half Price are all great and slightly more accessible. Step Across The Boarder is a wonderful doc that's probably on YT.

10. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

Yes! All three of those album are essential Frith! Some Clouds Don't!

11. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

Just to pile on what others have said, get yourself a copy of Frith's trio Massacre's debut, Killing Time. It has the original version of "Legs" (a little slower than the hyper version you posted with Lussier). One of my favorite albums. There is another distant Eno connection with Massacre as their bassist Bill Laswell appears on My Life In The Bush of Ghosts.

12. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

Ever seen the documentary "River & Tides" about the artist Andy Goldsworthy? Frith created a sublime soundtrack for the film. Can't recommend the CD enough.

AZRunner and HitAndRun like this.
  13. boyo

boyo Forum Resident

Energy Fools the Magician totally does it for me. I would love to have a compilation of Eno songs in this collaborative format. Particularly with Phil drumming. The buried-in-the-back song called "Untitled" would also be a headliner on my comp. 5/5

14. "Energy Fools The Magician" -- 4/5

I've no problem with it's placement on Side 1 (because Side 2 is perfect - as is).

15. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident Thread Starter

Energy Fools the Musician

I think I can spot more of Fred Frith's playing now.

This is a very nice piece which as said fits in nicely between the more up-tempo vocal tracks. As usual everyone does their part very well, including (as mentioned) Brian on keyboards.

If anything, I would like more of this.

4.5/5

16. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for all the contributions everyone. Today's track is King's Lead Hat. Written by Brian Eno.

As is well known, the track title is an anagram of 'Talking Heads'.

Spotify link: King's Lead Hat - 2004 Digital Remaster

Lyrics: Brian Eno – King's Lead Hat Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

Personnel (from Wikipedia):

Brian Eno: voice, piano, rhythm guitar, metallics
    Paul Ruldolph: bass
    Phil Manzanera: Rhythm guitar
    Robert Fripp: Guitar solo
    Andy Fraser: Drums

The song was also released as a single in remixed form. Here's a YouTube video with that. But, I'm not sure that this is full audio quality.

In the film 'Survivor' there is apparently a bar named 'Kings Lead Hat'. I couldn't find a picture of this online.

Finally, here is a live cover version by Ultravox.

William Gibson has said that this song was an influence on his work.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
  17. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

King’s Lead Hat. A big favorite says younger me. Unlike the other tracks on side 1 this one definitely has “wow factor” with that Fripp solo. The huge skidding bass sound in the latter part of the track is pretty cool too. And Eno sings it with idiot glee. Despite the title anagram, I'm not feeling it as a Talking Heads tribute...it sounds like a template for every new wave song that would come out for the next few years.

Is my mind playing tricks on me or are there a number of different mixes of this? I feel like Fripp’s solo especially is mixed differently sometimes. But maybe I’m out to lunch about that.

18. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

More influenced by punk/ new wave and that old favourite Neu! than the Talking Heads I'd say. Take back what I said about "Backwater" earlier, this is the last gasp of quirky Eno, I mean, "the biology of purpose keeps my nose above the surface". It's an instant classic.

19. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

King’s Lead Hat

One of the best things he's done. This song shows how much Eno was in tune with the musical times. I do think his vocal delivery is a bit Byrne-esque, which is fine by me as I'm a big (early) Talking Heads fan. Pretty much a perfect song in my book.

Amoepe, eeglug, Hightops and 6 others like this.
  20. prymel

prymel Forum Resident

King's Lead Hat

I want to like this, but it's such a chaotic mess that I can't warm up to it. The song pulls itself together somewhat during the chorus, but all the surrounding material is a bit out of control. 2/5

21. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

The title might be a Talking Heads anagram but I agree with Vangro that it’s far more NEU! than it is Heads influenced.
    Regardless, this is a wild ride. A huge number of words, lots of puns and deft wordplay and the last blast of Eno’s ‘idiot glee’. You sense that Eno is having a ball with this. It’s chaotic for sure but it’s anchored by a solid rhythm track and Manzanera’s stunning guitar work. Then, just when you think it can’t get any more bonkers, there’s that bizarre guitar squirt at the end, presumably from Fripp. What a blast.
    Incidentally the 7” single contains a different mix than the familiar album track and the crazy ending is edited differently, but of course you can only get this on the long out of print single. Even though the b side, RAF, has been reissued in the EnoBox, the a side, KLH, has not…

22. fried

fried Forum Resident

I always thought it was more of a nod to Talking Heads than actually influenced by them. Perfect chaotic pop, excellent eccentric lyrics 5/5

23. thejammy

thejammy Forum Resident

Kings Lead Hat. 5/5 rock perfection. The backing track sounds like a bunch of sequencers and instruments gained consciousness, went out of control and recorded it themselves. And Andy Fraser on drums?

24. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

If Eno had had access to the Wonders of the Interwebs back in 1977, he might have found that King's Lead Hat/Talking Heads is also an anagram of Dealt Shaking (clearly a reference to Oblique Strategies) as well as two cousins to Tiger Mountain, Lanka Sighted and Thailand Kegs, and, of course, Alights Naked. ;)

eeglug and HitAndRun like this.
  25. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

Kings Lead Hat

Yikes..This will always be my least favorite Eno song from the first four.

I always felt "Kings Lead Hat" kinda smacked of desperation? The sound of an artist watching the world pass him by?

No matter how many New/No Wave bonafides Eno collected during this period this one strikes me as a piss poor imitation of a music that he helped influence but could no longer credibly make. Maybe this was a necessary purging of an audio village bike that our Great Bald One would soon (thankfully) put away forever?

All apologies, but it's not for me. No sir.

1/5