Bridge Over Troubled Water -double 45 ultradisc box set *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bruce of oz, Jan 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Are they actually going up to $125? I would absolutely be out no matter what the title. Somebody took me out to a nice dinner for business once. I got an $80 steak at their insistence. It was wonderful. But I would never, ever go back there again. Not because it wasn’t excellent, but to me at that price it wasn’t relevant if it was excellent or not. The price exceeded that point; it didn’t matter to me, it just would not interest me. For me, this was a very good product but not excellent because both copies had excessive noise on side one. My Billy Joel from them was perfect. It was three albums, six sides of hits, and was flawless. And I still had to really think about it before I plopped down $89.95. S&G went up $10 and one could argue it was far less of a value compared to the Joel. At $125, the artist become irrevelent to me; it’s an automatic pass. I care and want to buy the very finest in audiophile pressings of that handful of truly exceptional albums we all have in our minds. So, I wonder if I would totally pass, how many others would given my desire to own such products. We here are at that top of whatever percentage cares about this stuff....and it isn’t a big number. If I’m right, they are in for a big surprise next time.

However, from a strictly business point of view, it is a step they need to take, and I did write way up thread I was afraid this was going to happen. If they see people buying and then flipping their product on line for 25-50% more, they have to wonder where the top is. And that was the reason for my fear we would see this. However, selling 75 copies or whatever on eBay doesn’t equate to selling 7500 copies at retail. I would suggest they tread carefully as I just don’t see anything over $99 a sustainable price point.

2. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, in other words, I think most of us want to hear it the way it is, warts and all. I’m okay with issues as long as it’s on the master...don’t go and try “fixing it” because in almost every instance other elements get messed up in the process. From that standpoint, I am very pleased with this release.

RZangpo2 and jbc777300 like this.
  3. Geoffsterpiano

Geoffsterpiano ...Give me great sound, or give me death...

Well, listened to mine for the first time today and - wow.

Even taking into account the PITA factor of having to flip sides so often and the issues with the way some tracks were recorded, this still sounds fabulous to me as a whole and was well worth the money and the wait. There’s a clarity and depth to so much of the album now that’s just absent from previous pressings (and I’ve heard a few) and listening to this now is like a completely new experience.

IMHO, after almost fifty years, the master tapes have held up pretty damn well and MOFI has done a great job bringing us this close to them.

My sleeves had a bit of very slight scuffing but nothing tragic. The discs themselves are dead flat and completely free of ticks and pops, so I’ve lucked out there, I guess.

Unfortunately I missed the Abraxas & Nightfly one steps (insomuch as they’re now stupidly expensive) but I’ll definitely be up for more depending on what titles turn up in the near future.

ted321, Jrr and alx7 like this.
  4. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

#3965 arrived... let's see... :)

alx7, AnalogJ and Jrr like this.
  5. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

A6/B6/C7/D6
    Discs visually flawless
    Minor scuffing on the back of Sleeve 1 and on the front of Sleeve 2

More substance in the evening at home.

alx7 likes this.
  6. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Yeah, a lot of us have more substance in the evening in the privacy of our home.

alx7, ssmith3046 and RiRiIII like this.
  7. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

8. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

In stock at Elusive Disc for $99, one per customer.

alx7 and snorker like this.
  9. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

alx7 and dasacco like this.
  10. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

So, all sides quiet and flat. What a great record this is, and is even greater when it sounds like this. So very engaging.

Jrr and alx7 like this.
  11. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

12. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

I just got this & debated whether to keep it sealed & just flip it or open it and listen. Yeah, right. I just listened to it & I think it's so staggeringly good that I don't think I could sell it at all. I don't think I've heard a record sound like this before & I have plenty of MoFis, DCCs etc. It's jaw-droppingly good. I mean, I really don't have words for it...

EDIT: And after 2 complete inspections, I can't find a single flaw on the records or the package. I guess I lucked out!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    Geoffsterpiano, Jrr, DBMartin and 3 others like this.
  13. Jeremiah Wallis

Jeremiah Wallis Well-Known Member

My 2nd replacement LP 1 arrived the other day from Music Direct--finally a good copy with no ticks and clicks. First two were dirty as hell, scuffed, and ticks all throughout Side 1 and 2. I'm so glad Music Direct was cool about it, but man what a pain in the ass! But now that I've got a good copy, I'm just thrilled to have something that sounds as close to the original master tape as I'll ever get.

Geoffsterpiano, Jrr and alx7 like this.
  14. Geoffsterpiano

Geoffsterpiano ...Give me great sound, or give me death...

Sorry to keep banging on about it, but CHRIST ALMIGHTY this sounds fabulous- it seems to get better with every play. There are elements I’ve never heard/noticed before. Truly stunning.... the best vinyl I’ve EVER heard. By a country mile.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  15. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

Thanks to:
    I ordered a copy before they finally sold out and I am finally spinning it now. It certainly smokes my 180 Classic Pressing and is now my go to. This album is a sentimental favourite as the 8-track played often on road trips when I was a kid. I ended up singing with my two sisters and I remember how wonderful it was to hear that sibling vocal blending.

I can't say it is the best record I have ever heard but it is a great presentation. I also have a few clicks on the title track but I think we all do. Nothing terrible and I haven't cleaned it yet so will see if it makes a difference. Classic RTI pressing though (it was pressed at RTI, right?)

16. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  17. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

SoundDoctor and AnalogJ like this.
  18. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

19. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

If they would just restock Abraxas it would be my Christmas Miracle!

20. jbc777300

jbc777300 Forum Resident

I feel sorry for the chap bidding $139.95 on eBay right now...

21. Tempted to order a backup...

22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I got replacement sleeves a few days ago. And got an email today that this is it! After these are gone it’s a collectors item. Mine is never leaving until I’m gone for good!

FashionBoy likes this.
  23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

That's still cheaper than buying or importing to UK.

jbc777300 likes this.
  24. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

#6517 ordered 12/11/2018 arrived yesterday.

Firstly, my two outer sleeves have very minor scuffs.....backside of LP jacket 1 and coresponding scuffs on front of LP jacket 2. Pretty obvious this is being caused by the two rubbing against one another.
    Had it not been discussed previously I wouldn’t have felt it worth mentioning. Again, very minor.
    I’ve placed the lyric sheet between the two sleeves to hopefully prevent this from worsening over time.

Both records are pop/tick free on all four sides.

Sonically, this is truly an astonishing release. I don’t have anything to add to what’s already been said about the sq. It’s simply stunning.

I’m a very happy MoFi customer today!

FashionBoy, NorthNY Mark, Jrr and 4 others like this.
  25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I can’t believe they went to the expense of replacing the sleeves for (I’m assuming) all of us and then they packed the second half the same way so that your’s are also scuffed. Don’t even know what to say! If you think it will ever bother you request new sleeves. For a hundred bucks they should be perfect, especially given they know about this issue and still didn’t protect your sleeves. But kudos to them for at least replacing them...they have certainly earned my continued business.

Carter DeVries and SoundDoctor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.