broken Blue Point stylus, need advice

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TheNomadicSoul, Sep 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheNomadicSoul

TheNomadicSoul Active Member Thread Starter

Hey everyone-
    My stylus just busted :realmad:. I need advice on where to order a new one. This is the first time I've had to replace it since I bought it. I've never dealt with a Blue Point cart before and I'd like to get the best replacement without spending too much money. The only local vinyl shop nearby is run by a bunch of idiot teenagers who know nothing about vinyl so I'd rather not deal with them. If there's a reputable online dealer, I'd greatly appreciate a link or two.

Thanks,
    ~Kyle

2. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

There's other carts much more easy on the ears than a BP. I take it you are looking for a replacement cart not just stylus? What is your phono stage and budget?

3. TheNomadicSoul

I'm sure there's always something better out there, but I already have the cart, why would I want to get a new one? I basically have no budget right now due to various reasons. I don't have the money to invest in a new, nicer cart unfortunately. In the future, hopefully.

So can anyone help me out with getting a new needle?

4. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

5. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

The blue point does not have a user replaceable stylus. Did you buy it
    from a dealer or used from someone? If you bought it new, you might
    be able to get them to replace it under warranty. You can talk to the importer, sumiko (www.sumikoaudio.net) and see if they have a "retip"
    program. This might be a good trade in.

Otherwise, a lot of budget Grados for around 100-150 that aren't bad either!

6. TheNomadicSoul

Ahh.. damn! I just found this out on the web about the retip thing. I bought it from a friend so I guess I'm stuck. Might as well spring for a new cart. Is this BP cart worth anything as it is? I really have no use for it anymore and I don't feel like doing a retip. Seems like a hassle and I want to listen to my vinyl NOW.

Thanks for the help,
    ~Kyle

7. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

probably not much. I think you save a hundred bucks on a retip. But it's not like you have to wait for it. You send them yours and you get a refurbed BP special back I believe. Call them and see.

If not, call todd the vinyl junkie www.ttvj.com and tell him TONE Audio sent you. hes a good guy and will give you some good suggestions!

Take it easy!

8. Upstateaudio

Upstateaudio Senior Member

The broken cart can be traded in with some retailers for a trade in. Not much is given I'm afraid. I would definitely get another cart. There are other carts a lot better out there at that price point. Give Music direct, elusive disc or some of the other retailers a call.

9. cwon

cwon Active Member

Make sure you get a cartridge that has a user replaceable stylus and maybe even buy a stylus at the same time so you'll have one on hand if it breaks again.

10. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

not too many cartridges like that any more....

11. cwon

cwon Active Member

I don't know of any moving coil cartirdges that have user replaceable styli, but most moving magnet cartridges do.

12. Lavalamp

Lavalamp New Member

I recently replaced a blue point with an Audio Technica AT440ml. I strongly suspect this will be cheaper than retipping your blue point.

The AT440ml tracks so much better, and reveals much more of a recording. It has better bass. However, the blue point had better mids.

Overall, the extra detail in the AT440ml wins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.