Bronzed CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, Dec 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

There's a thread about it here. I read it some years ago and I think they're nothing to worry about.

What Exactly Causes Pinholes On CDs?

c-eling likes this.
  2. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Blast! Whaam! Bam! Thank you Dan! A Whaam Records Compilation 1981 - 1984 CD issued on Vinyl Japan in 1995 seems to have this problem. Don't think this is going to reappear any time soon.

PDO and definitely ropey on the outer edge.

3. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

The bronzing is never on the readable side. The recorded data, however, is closer to the label side, and that's why it can be affected.

Correct, unless they're unusually huge or numerous. But that's extremely rare.

Lost In The Flood and fogalu like this.
  4. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

not every pdo disc suffers bronzing/rot. The ones that do, eventually will be unreadable. So rip a lossless copy now, or buy a different pressing.

GerryO likes this.
  5. strippies

strippies Forum Resident

I don't think that the bronzing affects the physical shape of the pits and lands in the plastic which reside directly beneath the aluminium layer.
    However, the bronzing likely affects the laser reflective capacity of the aluminium. Theoretically you could remove the damaged aluminium layer, apply a new one and the disc would function again.

6. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

It sounds like it. I would burn a digital copy asap - if you still enjoy U2 music.

TonyCzar likes this.
  7. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

You should be able to pick up a non UK PDO copy fairly cheap. Just be thankful it isn't something by Coil.

8. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Are you saying this or is this a quote from a Led Zeppelin song?

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, I have a bunch of those rotten bastids!

10. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

PDO used aliminium instead of silver on the CD surface in the UK. French PDO CDs have no problem.

11. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I have about a half dozen or more PDO CDs that have bronzed significantly. They all play OK except for one of them.

12. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

The two major plants that were set up to manufacture CDs in the UK in the 80's had fatal flaws in the manufacturing process.
    Nimbus UK CDs had a very weak top layer that came off as goo if you cleaned them in any way, while PDO UK CDs eventually turned bronze.
    Once is an accident, twice is just careless.

13. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

All CD-V’s were that colour!

c-eling likes this.
  14. Correct. The PDO UK made CD-Vs were intentionally made that way to look different. Not related to the rot. ironic they look like the earlier failing CDs.

Lost In The Flood and c-eling like this.
  15. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I think you have that flipped. PDO has said that they mistakenly used Silver, which is why the bronzing occurred. Almost all manufactured CDs use Aluminum to this day.

GerryO and Lost In The Flood like this.
  16. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

So, my CD isn't rotting?

17. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Well they did it to cut costs. I figure silver is more expensive.

18. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Yes I have a few that are Gold in color and some that are the darker bronze. I ripped them just in case for safe measure.

19. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I thought it was silver instead of gold. The silver reacted with sulphur in the booklets to produce silver sulphide.

20. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

The early UK PDO CDs were gold tinted.

Man at C&A and c-eling like this.
  21. Good idea just in case!

22. Is it a CD-Video (CD-V)? If not, are the edges are more bronze than the rest of the disc face? That's classic PDO UK rot.

This has been a problem before with U2 PDO UK discs:
    My U2 UK PDOs are rotting away

Lost In The Flood, scobb and c-eling like this.
  23. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

Ok now I just bought another U2 CD pressing

24. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

A good idea if you are a fan of the album. Mine is Island Master IMCD 223 842 297-2 which according to the rear of the disc was Made in France. It has remained silver.

c-eling and Sear like this.
  25. Keep in mind these rot problems, which have been extensively documented on SH.tv, are specific plants made during a specific period with incorrect materials and/or processes.

PDO UK, and its successor companies, continued to make CDs until recently that work fine because they changed to the standard materials that Philips/PolyGram/PDO/PMDC used in their other plants that have been proven to work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.