Bruce Springsteen - Live Archive Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris S., Aug 24, 2015.

1. BeatleBruceMayer

BeatleBruceMayer Forum Resident

It was the peak of his songwriting. Take the four songs from Tracks from Darkness, the 2 CD The Promise (forget the modern vocals for a moment), the single album River, and the 2 CDs of River outtakes, and you have a wealth of fantastic material. As good as the BIUSA outtakes are, they pale in comparison to these.

NYMets41 and Jacline like this.
  2. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Max’s drumming improved considerably between Darkness and The River. He look lessons (at Bruce’s insistence) with Bernard Purdie, and it paid off. His drumming on The River is top notch.

3. And are they, indeed better than Hammersmith?

4. INSW

INSW Senior Member

5. Holy ****!!! I never knew until just now that there's video of this! Goddamn, I love this song.

budwhite likes this.
  6. boe

boe Forum Resident

I remember reading that Max also took lessons from a drummer who had played with Benny Goodman. I wonder if Purdie taught Max how to play Beatles songs :). (For the record, a friend of mine helped Max with his Big Beat book project and Max thought Purdie's claim of playing on Beatles records was totally delusional.)

BeatleBruceMayer likes this.
  7. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

I took lessons from Purdie a few years back. At one point told me “I played on about half of all the Beatles records”.

It was a strange moment.

8. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Same here. I like the alternate quite a bit, especially for the "dream" verse, but the one that got on the album is the one.

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I found this 2003 "Kitty's Back" and think it's surprisingly awesome:

hodgo likes this.
  10. bobfan

bobfan Forum Resident

I like the fact you can compile your own version of The River. Surprised no one has mentioned Restless Nights. How is I Wanna Marry You (one of Bruce's most dull, and utterly boring, tunes) on there and this isn't? I'd also include I Wanna Be With You; just a really great rocker. Put that in place of I'm A Rocker, which is rubbish also! I'd include Take Em As They Come also. I really like From Big Things...but the vocal feels more like '78 than '80. For me The River is Springsteen at his vocal peak, even if it isn't a perfect record.

11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

If they’re only selling 1000 units of these, they’re losing money.

blueslover99 likes this.
  12. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

The album had a few weak points, certainly not Stolen Car and Wreck on the Highway though. It also had some pretty major highs, title track, The Ties That Bind, The Price You Pay, Point Blank etc etc

The tour ran from 80-81, whether it was as good as the Darkness tour is debatable, but it is certainly very close.

robcar and hodgo like this.
  13. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I feel like the song isn't quite there yet but the guitar solo is freaking AWESOME, perhaps my favorite solo on any Springsteen record. Van Zandt definitely wanted it on the album.

bobfan and budwhite like this.
  14. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

It's that solo plus what Max is doing on the drums at the end of it that does it for me. That part finishes with really frenetic bit and with some changes in the pattern followed with a final guitar strum (sorry for my layman's way of describing it). Excellent.

budwhite likes this.
  15. bobfan

bobfan Forum Resident

Van Zandt was right!

hodgo likes this.
  16. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Wow. If you consider "Wreck on the Highway" and "Stolen Car" to be "weak", I'm sort of speechless. Both are among Springsteen's greatest songs, and The River (both the album and tour) was better than Darkness on the Edge of Town.

hodgo and daveidmarx like this.
  17. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Roulette
    Restless Nights
    Where The Bands Are
    Loose Ends
    Out In The Street
    Ramrod
    Take Em As They Come

All great drumming performances

18. That's crazy talk.

sonnyrock, redsock, KirkK and 4 others like this.
  19. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I'm a bigger fan of The River than Darkness. I find The River a more interesting listen. Darkness just drags a lot of the time.

I think the Darkness tour was better and more exciting than The River, though. I think on the Darkness tour, he was still playing like he had something to prove.

Brett44 likes this.
  20. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

bruce had max play with a couple of metronomes on the born in the usa tour.
    max is good but swinging is not his strong suit.

21. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

agreed on both points. darkness was way too serious......overly melodramatic.
    the river tour was a step into arena touring.

22. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

I like them equally. Darkness (the album and tour) was raw and powerful, but The River (album and tour) showed a maturity and depth that really moved his songwriting forward.

23. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

I think Bruce was the only one who really thought it was an off night. I seem to remember when he watched after so many years he decided he was pretty hard on himself back then and liked it. I don't know that the Born to Run Anniversary set was poorly marketed and my memory was that fans liked it. Had the DVD come out as a stand alone piece it may have been a different story. But as a bonus in the Born to Run box, I think it was a welcomed surprise.

24. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Two metronomes? What's a second one gonna do, that can't happen with just one?

redsock likes this.
  25. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I wish they had a bit more "life" to them as far as capturing the sound of the venue and feeling of "being there," but they're absolutely crystal clear and represent the music itself very well. Granted, Phish is a lot easier to mix than a modern-day expanded E-Street Band, but also my guess is Phish gigs are recorded exactly the same way every night, and he starts with a basic preset and only makes minor tweaks.

That small-scale bands like Tauk that play clubs still record and sell every show via Nugs reiterates how little overhead it requires to do the archive series. I knew that going in, so I'm not really nitpicking the mixes, but it's obvious not a ton of time is spent on them.