Bruce Springsteen - Live Archive Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris S., Aug 24, 2015.

1. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

They are credited on studio albums. But as I said before Bruce's contract is as a solo artist so his name is on the cover/label.

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It has never been revealed, but it is highly unlikely Springsteen split the BITUSA tour revenues equally. Perhaps the band salaries went up or perhaps Springsteen agreed to give the band a small percentage, but with Landau’s carefully orchestrated plans for BITUSA and awareness that both album and tour were setting the stage for big money, he likely controlled how the money was distributed, especially after the album broke, singles started owning the charts, and the tour graduated to stadiums.

Efus, Jimmy B. and budwhite like this.
  3. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Really? That will never happen

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

They're credited as musicians - I didn't say their names were left off the notes.

But there's still never been a studio album credited to BS&TESB.

And whatever Bruce's contract may be, if he wanted to credit the albums to BS&TESB, he could. It's not like he begged CBS to credit the albums that way they refused...

5. Oatsdad

I agree that it won't happen - it's unlikely that all the HOF-inductee ESB members would no longer play with Bruce.

But I think he's much less sentimental about ESB than the fans and wouldn't hesitate to still call it ESB if all of those musicians quit...

Efus and Jimmy B. like this.
  6. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

I think it is fairly clear from what he said in his autobiography that the ESB were on salary. What is less clear to me is whether they were on salary when they were not on the road (I assume they are not at the moment, but maybe I'm wrong). The autobiography gave me the impression that one of the reasons for jettisoning the band after the Tunnel of Love tour was not just that he wanted a new artistic direction, but that it had become a huge hassle to continue to be involved with the financial lives of the ESB both on and OFF the road. In particular, I think it was Danny and Clarence who were in permanent financial crisis, and kept coming back to management to bail them out.

Efus, Rockford & Roll and Citrus like this.
  7. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

My understanding is that back in the day, the band and the crew were on salary all the time (although at a much reduced rate when they were off the road). Bruce did that to try to keep band members from moonlighting, and from filing for unemployment.

In the modern era, everybody is contracted for a flat fee for each tour, and that's it. Much different world now.

Rockford & Roll and Efus like this.
  8. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Indeed. Consider The Rising, which came with a hype sticker that said, "His first studio album with the E Street Band since Born In The USA".

But it was still credited to Bruce Springsteen.

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  9. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

IMO, except for Roy the ESB members are solid musicians that we have seen are easily replaceable.

10. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Gotta disagree there.
    Roy, Nils, Max and Garry are elite musicians that have been playing with Springsteen for decades. Can any be replaced? Yes. Are any “easy” to replace? No. IMO.

11. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

I saw several of the shows where Max's son was filling in for him (at least partial shows and in one case, the entire show) and I've got to say there was an energy from his kid that Max has been lacking for years. I wouldn't have minded a permanent swap.

J_D__ likes this.
  12. Oatsdad

Agree. You could tell Bruce had a ton of fun with Jay behind the kit.

Not saying he wanted Jay to replace Max permanently, but those shows definitely came with a life not usually there!

kouzie likes this.
  13. uncle

uncle Senior Member

What shows did Max's son play at?

14. Oatsdad

Spring/summer 2009...

uncle likes this.
  15. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

lol uh no.

16. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

saw some shows on that leg, too.
    I agree that Jay brought energy. The uptempo songs benefited from his playing, especially Radio Nowhere.
    However, he does not have his father’s touch and feel which is a huge part of the E Street sound. As good as Jay was (keep in mind he was still in school!!), the E Street Band sounded a bit less like the E Street Band with him behind the kit. Especially on the slower and mid tempo songs - in other words the majority of the set

Turbo2k likes this.
  17. BeatleBruceMayer

BeatleBruceMayer Forum Resident

Why did Max and Jay split time in the same show?

18. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

to "ease him in" I suppose.

19. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

laf848 likes this.
  20. Oatsdad

I was on the fence about renewal and the DVD convinced me, but I'm also disappointed there's no BD.

That said, I get it. They're making limited quantities, and they can't just make BDs, as that'd leave out the tons of people who never upgraded.

Those of us with BD prefer that format, but if they made BDs, they'd have to make DVDs, too, and they probably figure it's not worth the effort...

21. erocky

erocky Senior Member

Is it just me or do Bruce threads often get mean spirited? It seems like there are some folks that do not like Bruce on some sort of personal level. It has to be because of so many of his albums have lo fidelity.

Tom Campbell likes this.
  22. Oatsdad

Nope - politics. People get mad about Bruce's politics...

dee likes this.
  23. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Sorry if this is off topic, but I've seen a few instances where bonus videos (not being sold by themselves) are provided as DVDs when it is almost certain that the video was recorded in HD, and a Blu-ray could have been been issued instead.

For example, in addition to the above U2 example, I can easily think of:
    Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA live (High Hopes bonus disc) - this one even says "recorded in HD" on the back!
    Beck - Live at Shinkiba Studio Coast (Colors deluxe version) - Oct 24, 2017 concert

Is there that much of a price difference between printing DVDs and Blu-ray, once all the work has been done to edit the audio and video?

24. belardd

belardd Senior Member

IF the sound of the Other Band (HT/LT touring band) had been "truly" different, I might have bought into it but they just sounded like shabby version of the E Street Band (F Street)
    I would love to see a stripped down band (HERESY alert - Dump Miami Steve and Suzy and Patti and all the back-up vocalists please, maybe even Charley)
    At least Western Stars doesn't sound like a poor man's E Street

dee and Frank Discussion like this.
  25. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I agree. In the 1,000+ page book, Why Bruce Springsteen HATES The E-Street Band that was published in 2013, it spells out all these points and more! Hahaha.
    :—)