Bruce Springsteen - Live Archive Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris S., Aug 24, 2015.

1. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Incredibly, my 11/24/75 CD has finally shipped. I sent them a note a few weeks
    ago and the answer was `manufacturing delays due to holidays, etc.'. Well, we're
    on our way now. Just the interminable wait time to get up to the wilds of Canada
    but I'm used to that.

Glenn coates and Rockford & Roll like this.
  2. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

I am seeing a real slow down on these reaching the UK. Don't know if it is holidays or customs delays ( covid/brexit?) but getting a touch concerned that there might be a customs clearance implication that I have not seen before.

3. stevelucille

stevelucille Forum Resident

I don't know if it's related, but there is a general slowdown of USPS mail in the states right now. Since before Christmas. Packages sitting in one location for days or weeks.

4. Tony Glass

Tony Glass Forum Resident

I got my London CD last week.
    I had emailed them in December and received the following reply on 12/20:
    "Unfortunately, we are experiencing manufacturing delays due to holiday sales and we are behind schedule. The CD warehouse is working around the clock to complete all CD order in the order they were received."

5. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

We might be seeing another new release tomorrow?

Rockford & Roll and johnny q like this.
  6. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I tweeted at Nugs & a couple Bruce blogs usually in the know about whether there'd be a first friday, but never got a response, so not sure. I certainly hope so though.

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  7. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

There's not uncommonly a hint a day or so before the release (either via Backstreets' Twitter feed or certain fans in-the-know) but, so far, there's been no word.

Rockford & Roll and walrus like this.
  8. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

TeddyB, JohnB and NunoBento like this.
  9. walrus

Solo show. Ultimate yawn.

I wonder if Main Point exists in any better quality than what bootleggers already have. I think what is circulating (particularly the 2nd set upgrade from recent years) may be the best it's going to get without a time machine.

10. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Sigh. The Archive Series has been great. I've bought over 40 of the releases. But unless they start releasing shows from 1973-76, or some of the 1978 and 1980 shows I went to, I think I may be done with them. I don't need any more of the later shows.

11. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Are they pressing these now?

The last few releases have had a cd release date, which suggests pressed discs rather than cd-r.

12. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Love the solo acoustic stuff. Listen to it more than any other live Bruce apart from maybe 78.

13. windfall

windfall Senior Member

And always happy to hear another "Dry Lightning".

jlocke08 likes this.
  14. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I thought I read somewhere that one of the two Main Point master tapes is missing?

15. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Going to pass on this one. I enjoy the acoustic shows, but there was more set list variety on the D&D tour.

chickendinna likes this.
  16. JohnB

JohnB Senior Member

I can only speak for myself, but I passed on today's release, however would have pulled the trigger in a second on a Main Point '75 release in whatever quality they can find that's at least as good as what's already out there.

Glenn coates, TeddyB and J_D__ like this.
  17. walrus

Yeah, only the first half of the show exists as a pre-FM source, at least to us (an upgrade to the 2nd half of the gig surfaced about a decade ago, but still comes from an FM capture). Because of how early it was in Bruce's career, one has to assume the full show doesn't exist in Bruce's archives either, so it's very possible there's actually nothing to release, no matter how many people are screaming for it.

Saint Johnny and J_D__ like this.
  18. walrus

I genuinely don't believe they have anything better than what's already out there. And while I'm hesitant to jump on the bandwagon of people here complaining about the mastering of other releases, taking the fan bootleg and professionally mastering it to be louder would be kind of a pointless exercise, IMO.

I guarantee Bruce's people have been in search for the missing master reels of this show for decades, but if anyone had them, I feel like we'd know by now.

19. JohnB

JohnB Senior Member

So why don't they "release what's already out there" ? Clean it up best as possible, that doesn't mean they have to make it louder. That Main Point show is an important show in Bruce's legacy. The one they released today is not.

Glenn coates, Jimmy B. and TeddyB like this.
  20. walrus

They will 100% make it louder. The first 90 minutes sound as good as they're going to sound already, on the recent fan-released bootlegs from the last 10 years...the second set only exists as an FM capture, so there's even less anyone can do with it.

Like, in 2021 there isn't that much magic professionals can do to clean up tapes than fans with home recording setups and some professional-grade plugins can't do at home. And, it could be said, a lot of times, the un-futzed-with source is a more pleasant listen than what the official release ends up being. (Check out Prodigal Son At Winterland next to the official 12/15/78 release if you don't believe me).

It's an incredibly important show, but I'm okay with them not just taking the bootleg source people already have, adding a bunch of compression, and releasing it, because there's just no point.

I hope one day, miraculously, the whole show is discovered from an original tape...I guarantee if that happens (assuming it's found by Bruce's people and not fans), it will be released pretty quickly. They know how great the show is, and I'm sure they want to release a better version just as much as we want to buy one.

21. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

I’ve given up on the hope that the “Live Archive Series” was going to provide a true career-spanning live retrospective. Like most of Springsteen’s archival product line, the Nugs thing has been good, occasionally great, but could have been a lot better.

I still listen to my classic boots as much (if not more) as the Nugs stuff. Nugs certainly did not render the boots obsolete, as some had predicted.

22. JohnB

JohnB Senior Member

I'll go with this, except that Nugs did not render SOME of the boots obsolete.

23. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

This is getting weird and pathetic We have 9 releases of solo acoustic shows, but nothing before 1975. Come on man!

24. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Keeps saving me money!

redsock, Saint Johnny and superstar19 like this.
  25. walrus

What do you think they have pre-'75?