Bruce Springsteen - Live Archive Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris S., Aug 24, 2015.

1. Adam Schellin

Adam Schellin Forum Resident

Dylan seems to sell well, otherwise they would stop doing the bootleg series releases each year. I think Dylan collectors have more money and have been turned into an ATM machine over the last years. I've bought all of those bootleg series releases, the only one I don't have is the Big Blue Collector's edition of the Cutting Edge (Bootleg series 12: 1965-66) They go on ebay for about $1200-$1800, and were only $600 at the time of release. 5000 copies sold out through his website.

Thank goodness Springsteen has never done this.

2. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

Springsteen is a colossal idiot for not following the Dylan model. Not necessarily with charging $600 for a huge box, but for not putting out generous as-is releases with no new singing/instrumentation. It is a missed opportunity of such gigantic proportions. He had a chance to enhance his already-great reputation as one of the all-time giants - and he has blown it.

3. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

He hasn't blown anything since he's offering a great show every month:)

4. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Re: Winterland
    I'm with you on the non - broadcast night.

5. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Shouldn't we know now the show that is being released for July?

6. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Usually the first Friday, they simultaneously do the announcement and the show goes on sale.

J_D__ likes this.
  7. lazysean

lazysean Forum Resident

I don't think there's ever been any official announcement beforehand*, it just shows up, usually mid to late morning CDT on the first Friday of each month.

That being said, it's Roxy '78.

*except that pair of '77 shows that kicked off the new monthly schedule last summer. They did announce those on Sirius E St Radio a couple days ahead.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    Adam Schellin and superstar19 like this.
  8. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

"All you bootleggers out there in radio land, roll your.....never mind".

9. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

[​IMG]

E street radio is going to air the 85-07-04 Wembley London show on the 4th. Apperently they have a better source than they had before(whatever that means).
    I still think we'll get The Roxy '78 on Friday though. But maybe we get the '85 show too?

INDEPENDENCE DAY / BORN IN THE U.S.A. / BADLANDS / OUT IN THE STREET / SEEDS / JOHNNY 99 / DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN / THE RIVER / WORKING ON THE HIGHWAY / TRAPPED / PROVE IT ALL NIGHT / GLORY DAYS / THE PROMISED LAND / MY HOMETOWN / THUNDER ROAD / COVER ME / DANCING IN THE DARK / HUNGRY HEART / CADILLAC RANCH / BECAUSE THE NIGHT / I'M ON FIRE / PINK CADILLAC / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE / BORN TO RUN / BOBBY JEAN / TWO HEARTS (with Steven Van Zandt) / RAMROD (with Steven Van Zandt) / TWIST AND SHOUT - DO YOU LOVE ME (with Steven Van Zandt)

Unique acoustic “Independence Day” opens the show on July 4, its final performance of the tour. “Seeds” includes a spoken introduction accompanied by Nils on the guitar. ”I’m On Fire” includes a keyboard led introduction. “Can’t Help Falling In Love" is introduced by Bruce telling the story about going to Graceland. The song itself is played by Bruce and Roy rather than like the River Tour versions that were performed by Bruce alone. Little Steven guests on “Two Hearts”, “Ramrod” and “Twist And Shout”.

10. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

A double-header would be nice but I wouldn't read too far into what E Street Radio plays.
    They had a Darkness at 40 in the week leading to the last release and we ended up with another '09 show.

budwhite likes this.
  11. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Is there a soundboard/multitrack recording of this show? My understanding is that only a few stops on the 84/85 tour were professionally recorded. If only an audience recording exists, I doubt it will see an official release.

12. budwhite

I'm pretty sure they recorded it on two track at least. If not a multitrack, then a SDB must be the new source that E Street radio got.

It's a good show, opening with Springsteen solo on acoustic guitar. And Little Steven is guesting on the last songs.
    But 1985 is to overblown and cheesey for me. Not sure that I will buy a show from that year

13. Randy5554

Randy5554 Forum Resident

There's also a chance that E Street Radio's "better source" of London 1985 is just a higher bitrate rip of the Crystal Cat audience tape.

14. budwhite

Higher bitrate? Not likely. It comes from a CD

15. The Punisher

The Punisher Well-Known Member

Jim Rotolo has been saying for weeks that hes been cleaning up bootleg sources so they can play better quality shows as the channel is slowly changing their approach. That's all it is. Hes wasting his time but that channel is one big waste so....

Adam Schellin likes this.
  16. The Punisher

The Punisher Well-Known Member

Nobody is getting two shows on friday its Roxy. That's it. Everything else is just a pipedream that the troll ns81 on backstreets makes up in his head.

17. budwhite

Thanks for the info. Seems weird

18. I already have Cleveland Agora and Passaic Capitol Theater from 1978, do I really need the Roxy? Does anybody have the set list from the Roxy show?

19. uncle

uncle Senior Member

I doubt they are airing some new soundboard or multitrack. it is likely an audience tape they are cleaning up. I mean if they used the existing boots for the 40th Darkness Anniversary week and not even the best sources at that when they actually have multiple multitracks of some of the same 78 shows already mixed and ready to go, then I highly doubt they are bringing out some new soundboard for this show.

20. Darren Smith

Darren Smith Forum Resident

Just the greatest show, going to be gutted if it is not this on Friday!!

1978-07-07 - THE ROXY THEATRE, WEST HOLLYWOOD, CA

RAVE ON / BADLANDS / SPIRIT IN THE NIGHT / DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN / CANDY'S ROOM / FOR YOU / POINT BLANK / THE PROMISED LAND / PROVE IT ALL NIGHT / RACING IN THE STREET / THUNDER ROAD / PARADISE BY THE "C" / FIRE / ADAM RAISED A CAIN / MONA - SHE'S THE ONE / GROWIN' UP / IT'S HARD TO BE A SAINT IN THE CITY / BACKSTREETS / HEARTBREAK HOTEL / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / INDEPENDENCE DAY / BORN TO RUN / BECAUSE THE NIGHT / RAISE YOUR HAND / TWIST AND SHOUT

Remarkable setlist includes the premieres of "Point Blank", "Rave On" and "Heartbreak Hotel". Probably one of the best shows Bruce will ever do. Another live debut "Independence Day" is performed solo on piano for only time on the tour. "Point Blank" features different lyrics to later versions and is played slightly differently. Also includes the first known tour performances of both "Twist And Shout" and "Raise Your Hand".

Mark E. Moon likes this.
  21. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Not quite the standard Darkness tour setlist. For You, Saint In The City, Point Blank, Independence Day make rare Darkness appearances. Any Darkness show offered on the archive is must purchase for me.

Disc 1
    1. Intro
    2. Rave On
    3. Badlands
    4. Spirit in the Night
    5. Darkness on the Edge of Town
    6. Candy's Room
    7. For You
    8. Point Blank
    9. The Promised Land
    10. Prove It All Night
    11. Racing in the Street
    12. Thunder Road
    13. Outro

Disc 2
    1. Paradise by the C
    2. Fire
    3. Adam Raised a Cain
    4. Mona --> She's the One
    5. Growin' up
    6. It's Hard to be a Saint in the City
    7. Backstreets
    8. Intro (to Heartbreak Hotel)
    9. Heartbreak Hotel
    10. Rosalita

Disc 3
    1. Independence Day
    2. Born to Run
    3. Applause Break
    4. Because the Night
    5. Raise Your Hand
    6. Applause Break and Credits
    7. Twist and Shout

Mark E. Moon likes this.
  22. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

You sweet summer child. You’ve clearly never heard this show. :)

23. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Do we really need the Roxy?

Nothing personal, but to ask this, you must not be a big Springsteen fan.

The Roxy - from the multis -- with no overdubs and unedited.

Short answer. Yes, we need the Roxy. It's a classic show.

24. Thanks!

Obviously, or I would know what the set list was. Care to expound on the merits of the Roxy show vs. the Capitol?

25. I've been a Springsteen fan for 40+ years, but I've never heard this show. It happens (or doesn't, as the case may be).

I'm looking for the long answer. What's special about the Roxy, as opposed to the Capitol, where the band is on fire, and the sound quality is excellent?