Bruce Springsteen No Nukes Concert to be released.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pacman68, Jul 17, 2021.

1. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Is there a video download option for sale?

2. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

I see the opener is “Prove It All Night” - does anyone know if this performance is more like the extended 1978 versions, or the more standard 1980 version?

3. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Countoff into the album opening, not the '78 extended intro.

4. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

ah bugger, wouldn’t have minded a concert kicking off with that 78 version, but I’m looking forward to checking it out regardless !

5. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Saw that at my last Bruce show in 2018. Cool surprise that I never thought I would hear live!

Bruce Springsteen Setlist at Wrigley Field, Chicago

NunoBento, matt79rome89 and SlimLee like this.
  6. PES

PES Forum Resident

I already have the two No Nukes performances via download, but this is an automatic purchase for me for this if no other reason. It has footage of Bruce doing the James Brown cape routine during the "Quarter to Three " encore. Just from the audio I couldn't tell what he was doing on stage, but to see it again is true rock and roll joy. I saw him do it at the Forum on 7/5/78, but have never been able to verify that, even with the bootleg available on YouTube (I will swear that the "Quarter to Three" on that is from another night and not the one I experienced. Yeah, it's corny, but joyously so. I don't care that they exclude the Goldsmith incident. This video will be pure 100% rock and roll ecstasy.

lambfan68, jenglund72 and Alan G like this.
  7. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Bruce does play a bit of the '78 intro during the outro at No Nukes (he also does this in the Tempe 80 show). It's not the same as the full intro, but still pretty cool.

budwhite, graveyardboots and SlimLee like this.
  8. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

Looks like a great release. My local indie is unlikely to stock it, especially the video, but I'm assuming that Bullmoose will. I'd prefer to order from them rather than Bezosworld.

9. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

2012. I’ve been thinking about that show and opener a lot lately. I remember it was a late start because he was stuck in traffic. It was so cool to start with that song and ease into the whole show. Everyone talked about Fenway as a logical release from this tour but I never understood why Wrigley doesn’t get equal or more attention. Vedder and Morello guest spots too.

Sorry to digress.

10. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

That's what the press release is saying. Supposedly available before the physical products.

11. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

No Nukes. Yes, I want it!

12. kmk pdx

kmk pdx Forum Resident

Really looking forward to the video. The 1980 No Nukes film was magnificently shot. It's a shame that only Bruce's performance is getting this treatment, though I understand why.

It doesn't seem like it would be that hard for someone simply to release a DVD of the original film, which was one of the best rock performance films ever. I'd also hope that some of the other artists might release video of their full sets so gorgeously captured and preserved. The Doobies are reuniting with Michael McDonald for a tour this year - they were probably never better together live than during the MUSE MSG concerts - at the peak of their popularity and headlined/closed the first 2 shows. JT, Bonnie and Jackson Browne could probably also profit from issuing their full sets. Others are equally worthy, but far less likely, to be released in full for other reasons - Gil Scott Heron's great set, Nicolette Larson performing her hit with the Doobies, John Hall's great "Reach" performance, Jesse Colin Young's extended set. An amazing week of music well beyond Bruce, still a bit rusty from 9 months in the studio, but 2 great performances nonetheless.

13. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I whole-heartedly agree.

The best chance is probably getting the original movie re-released in HD. As the video quality of Bruce's trailer shows, unless you saw this in theaters, you really haven't seen it before. The VHS/laserdisc home releases look really rough now. Throw in some bonus performances of people that didn't appear in the film like Paul Simon, Tom Petty, Chaka Khan and Peter Tosh and I think you have an excellent package.

I'd also be game for full sets from Ry Cooder, Tom Petty, The Doobies (w/Nicolette), Jackson Browne, Gil-Scott and maybe even Raydio. This might be the only film that exists for some of these acts from this era. I wonder if fans of these bands (and CSN, Bonnie Raitt, James Taylor, Carly Simon, the list goes on...) are wondering the same thing.

Martin Byrne likes this.
  14. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

There must also be scope for a documentary feature about the concerts to put the film in context. There's still enough of the original artists around to talk about it, and personally I'd love to hear about the people who put it together and the cause they were supporting. The historical context would be worth examining.

I suppose it's possible that Bruce played this show/movie down for many years, a he seems to have avaoided political association for a long time. That clearly changed with the last couple of elections, so he maybe more willing to show his political leanings again.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  15. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

I still remember hearing the Devil With The Blue Dress medley for the first time in the car on WNEW NY. I remember exactly where I was. Heady stuff.

I’m sure the no Nukes footage will be great. But the 1980 Tempe video Crew deserves major props. That was only 4 cameras, and they did a great job. Nice long shots, no jump cut or other gimmicky nonsense.

16. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Does anyone know if you get a digital download with the LP purchase?

17. PrineHootieWho2000

PrineHootieWho2000 Forum Resident

Yes. Although apparently Hammersmith 11/18/75 is both on nugs and avaliable everywhere.

I should think you do.

18. No.The concert put out as a DVD with the Born To Run box and released shortly afterwards on CD is the first London concert of that short tour.The one on Nugs is the second show which was held about a week later.

19. Maxdriver

Maxdriver Forum Resident

Yes Bruce supposedly was not happy with the first show performance and came back for the second show with something to prove. The Nugs show is considerably better than the first Hammersmith show.

20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I've always considered the Detroit Medley to be very much "oh fire" as a performance, and good recording / mix job.

The film will be incredible.

21. I’m not sure about better but definitely different.The first show is very tight and sounds like they are sticking to a musical script.The second show is looser and a lot closer to the Roxy show in feel.Both great IMHO.
    Bruce’s feelings about the show at the time were coloured by the hype around it down to the flyers that were put on the seats.He said in the liner notes that came with the release of the first show that when he went back and listened to it after nearly 30 years it was a lot better than he remembered it.

dee and superstar19 like this.
  22. PrineHootieWho2000

PrineHootieWho2000 Forum Resident

I was sure I saw 11/18 on nugs IN ADDITION to 11/24.

23. Station2Station

Station2Station Forum Resident

Pre ordered as soon as I saw this at a online store.
    2 cd with the Blu-ray.
    Excited about this, my favourite Bruce Springsteen era.

24. Maxdriver

Maxdriver Forum Resident

If he's playing multiple nights in the same city, the last night is usually the one to see. The first London show is 16 songs and 2 hours in length. The second one, clocks in at 2.5 hours and 22 songs, including 7 covers....When You Walk in The Room, Carol and Little Queenie among them.

Rating shows can be subjective, but for me Hammersmith #1 is good, #2 is great.

25. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Preview track "Sherry Darling" is coming tomorrow: