Bruce Springsteen Western Stars (the movie)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Panda, Aug 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

2. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

not a fan of the studio album but i'll go see this

3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I really like the new album, but not sure I want to see this if its one of those storyteller type things. Whenever I see Bruce do something like that where he talks about his songs, it just seems a lot of stating the obvious. I don't find it ever enhances the songs for me at all. But if this is mostly live musical performances, I might go.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  4. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Looks good!

5. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

from what ive heard it is just mainly a music performance. he may speak a bit about the music but it's no Storytellers

6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That's good.

7. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

One would think that Sony/Columbia would release this instead of Warner Brothers but I guess that the music department doesn't have to much to do with the movie studio

8. Bill

Bill Senior Member

2 1/2 hours is a bit intimidating. We'll see....

9. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

IMDB shows that it is 83 minutes long.

10. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

saw WS Saturday with a full house. and I must say-not unexpectedly-that I enjoyed the music MUCH more than on the album. gorgeously shot. setting, sound, performance, narration, and production all top notch. Zimny and Bruce find the perfect approach to present the music and Bruce's feelings about the songs. for anyone who enjoys the album, don't wait for any home viewing opps-go see it in the theater. I see Grammy for long form music video in it's future.

brownie61, Daryl M and HarvG like this.
  11. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

Seeing it at a local theater on Wednesday with a few buddies who are also big Springsteen fans. Looking forward to it!

12. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

The cinematography looks stunning from the preview, and the music is Bruce’s best album in years.

brownie61 likes this.
  13. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

I assume this will be released on DVD / Bluray soon?

Jimmy B. likes this.
  14. The Panda

15. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

probably gonna be a while. maybe for Christmas but that's a big maybe. larger theater run coming soon then probably to a streaming service before home release.

16. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Unless he's deliberately trying to sound older, his speaking voice makes him come across like he's 83 years old.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  17. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Saw this tonight and adored it. I have never really been a Springsteen fan, but something about this album really speaks to me.

The performance was great, and the little “on the road” bits between the songs really fit the mood.

18. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

Saw it last night. Great sound and picture. The narratives between songs were insightful and revealing. Most, if not all of the 13 songs are better live in his barn than the versions on the studio album, with of one my buddies liking the album more now having seen the movie. Looking forward to getting the CD soundtrack tomorrow from Amazon.

Thoroughly enjoyable. Go see it!

nick99nack and brownie61 like this.
  19. JulesV

JulesV Well-Known Member

I've always had a tough time distinguishing between a 70 year old, and an 83 year old. You've got good ears. ;)

20. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

Listening to the soundtrack album right now (Western Stars - Songs From The Film), and yes I think he sounds quite old and tired now. It suits some of these songs, but it still makes me a little sad, and it really makes me wonder what he's gonna sound like on the upcoming E Street album...

Jimmy B. likes this.
  21. The Panda

and tour. I have a friend that got tix to the last tour as a gift and tho he's hardcore Bruce, he said he just sounded awful.

22. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

I heard him live on The River Tour 2016 (European leg) and thought he sounded pretty good actually. It's only now with this new live soundtrack album that I'm beginning to hear the age in his voice...

Jimmy B. and The Panda like this.
  23. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

I thought the Western Star movie was all about getting old.

24. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

I saw this last night at one of the UK showings. I did enjoy it but also wondered why it merited a cinema showing. 25 years ago this would have been a slightly pretentious MTV special with subsequent home video release.

I was also disoriented by the sound mix. One song heavily featured the sound of a banjo behind my left ear. I scrutinised the stage in front of me but could see no banjo player. If there was no banjo player on stage, why could I hear a banjo so prominently? If there was a banjo player on stage in front of me, why was the sound of his banjo behind me? It was a non cinematic use of surround sound (though it may work on a 5.1 mix for a Blu Ray Audio disc). It became a distraction.

Jimmy B. and budwhite like this.
  25. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I'm sure it's for effect, like the way he's been trying to sound 'Western for the past god knows how many years. He almost - almost - has Jeff Bridges beat.

Jimmy B. and The Panda like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.