Bryan Ferry And Other Music Faves.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ForeverAmber, Nov 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

That whole album is killer. But me I'm a ' Stranded ' kinda guy.

2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Used to be like that as well. But as the decades rolled by I became a Roxy Music kinda guy! Yes, even "Manifesto"! They're all great!

Man at C&A and Crimson Witch like this.
  3. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Nothin' wrong with ' Manifesto '. It' s moody and magnificent and the start of the journey to ' Avalon '.

4. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I love Bryan, Brian, Phil, Andy, Paul, and Graham. Bryan I love the most though.
    I never got round to seeing him or the Roxy crew live and I am okay with that.
    I lucked out in my life with the number of great artists I had the honour of seeing that I just can't complain about the few I never did. Bryan is one of those guys though I'd gladly have traded in any ten of the best acts I got to see, in exchange for having been able to have seen him just once.

.. if wishes were horses ..

Here's another excellent cut from his superb 2002 album 'Frantic'. This one's called "One Way Love"

ForeverAmber and willy like this.
  5. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Pretty sure they did yeah

Crimson Witch and Neonbeam like this.
  6. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

Prairie Rose was the opening song on the Country Life tour, at least in the U.S. It was a great opener.

Crimson Witch and Neonbeam like this.
  7. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Just wish Ferry would've covered Dylan's 'Most Of The Time'.

8. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Absolutely. An excellent example of a late career album that rivals earlier highs.

9. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Brian Ferry, Roxy Music, Eno, Phil Manzanera, Andy Mackay... great stuff! Good pick and welcome to the forums, C!

Karnak and Crimson Witch like this.
  10. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

Wish they'd re-issue OLYMPIA on vinyl

Markyp and Crimson Witch like this.
  11. SteveCooks

SteveCooks Senior Member

I have been a fan since Olympia.
    Was there at Lyon at les nuits de Fourviere and the blu ray released.
    Great show !
    And welcome !!

Quiet American and Crimson Witch like this.
  12. ForeverAmber

ForeverAmber Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Great reads and listens since I was last here. Wondering how many, if any, liked the Falling In Love Again track I posted yesterday: the magic of Bryan's voice and intonation and feeling with this Marlene rendition way back in time is to my mind a classic in it's own right.

Quiet American and Crimson Witch like this.
  13. ForeverAmber

Thanks for your welcome, folks. Its gr8 to share my well-loved music and songs and artists and learn about yours.:thumbsup:

Ooh! I can now Edit my posts--thft. Typos on my phone are a pain in the butt even using a keyboard pen.:rant::laugh:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    Crimson Witch likes this.
  14. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

As Time Goes By is probably the Bryan Ferry album I go back to the least. Nothing really against the performances, the songs of this period just aren't as endearing to me as they might be to others.

Yet I saw Bryan Ferry on this tour and the live renditions were amazing.

Crimson Witch and ForeverAmber like this.
  15. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Little interest in Bryan solo (I tried!!!) except The Bride Stripped Bare which I think is marvelous. Waddy really gets to blow down the doors on the last track. And the covers are well chosen.

I'm a late Roxy guy, could fit all the early stuff I like on one cd. I prefer the 'Stax' solo version of Remake/Remodel over the original

16. ForeverAmber

Hiya.. that's interesting. What is the reason you have little interest in his solo's?

17. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Being a late Roxy guy, I’m curious why Boys and Girls, Bete Noir and Mamouna don’t resonate with you (or nearly anything thereafter for that matter).

18. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

I have loved Roxy et al since I was a college sophomore, when on a whim I purchased Siren and never looked back. I have them all now. And as I aged a bit I soon realized that all the beautiful girls absolutely swooned when I put a little Roxy or Ferry on the ole’ Hi Fi. Slow dancing to Avalon by the pool on a moonlit night...ooh yes, thanks Bryan!

19. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Is it true that Ferry has pretty much lost his voice? I remember listening to an NPR program (Fresh Air /Terry Gross?) not too long ago and they played a few of his tracks from a recent album. He could barely whisper the lyrics. I found it very sad because his voice is /was so unique, at least from my perspective.

20. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The ballads just drag for me. So much atmosphere, but I didn't find anything I liked. I admit to not being a big fan of his ballads in Roxy. He seems to have settled into this crooner mode. What I'd give for a balls to the wall show of rockers, starting with Virginia Plain and through to The Space Between.

21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Folks here who have seen him say a resounding yes. Look for threads about artists whose voice is shot.

22. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

‘The Bela Lugosi of rock.’

23. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Saw him this year and.... no. The voice obviously changed with age but live he still sounds fantastic.

24. Crimson Witch

I dunno. Bryan Ferry does very nice things with his voice on this track ,, "Alphaville", from his 2018 album
    Bitter-Sweet..

Quiet American likes this.
  25. Crimson Witch

While My Heart Is Still Beating
    Bryan Ferry ( 2018 )

softer, yes ~ but it sounds to me like a voice very much in fine form,, it's just the style of music he has approached for this project. I don't know whether he's actually having issues with his vocal cords or not, but based on what I'm hearing on these songs, I would say there's nothing stopping him singing in his old style if he is able to do this on record - except by choice.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.