Buchardt S400 and Amphion Argon 3S

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ChuckyBuck, Apr 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChuckyBuck

ChuckyBuck Forum Resident Thread Starter

Here are two speakers that invite comparison though I doubt many have had a chance to hear both. I haven't heard either. My evaluation of the two is pretty superficial: Buchardt is better priced and offers in home audition; Amphion is better looking. More insightful comments are welcome. Thanks.

2. Ria

Ria Well-Known Member

I have heard both. I have the S400’s at home and am maybe 100 hrs into the optimum 300 hr burn in time. I’ve heard the ARgon 3’s twice. They are really good too, but until I’ve properly burnt in the Buchardts I can’t call it! More recently heard the Argons with Hegel 390 and they were amazing !!! That being said the Hegel made them sound soooo good. I have a few weeks for the Buchardts to be properly warmed up and they are improving with each hour.... when they are burned in i am going to put them up against the Argons.... can not wait!

ChuckyBuck likes this.
  3. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

The Buchardts love power. Is the Rega enough?

4. ChuckyBuck

I went ahead and got the Buchardts a couple of months ago. I'm very happy with them though I've still not heard the Argon 3's.

5. ChuckyBuck

I think so. With my DAC the Elex-R plays with volume at about 9-10 o'clock. With my mc phono stage it plays 11-12 o'clock. That's about as loud as I listen. It produces a nice, deep audible bass though it doesn't shake the walls by a long shot.

6. Slippers-on

Yes.... many have been complaining about having to turn the knob too much to get good enough fidelity. Thats a power hungry speaker and would take a lot of current to get the best out of her.

7. ChuckyBuck

So I borrowed a friend's D amp and liked the results which lead me to ordering a Hypex amp. Should be here in a week or two. However, I also learned that I can crank up the rega then use the digital volume control (either on DAC or in Roon) to get improved bass. Thanks for getting me to look into this. A punchy bass makes a difference.

Slippers-on likes this.
  8. Slippers-on

You're welcome!

ChuckyBuck likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.