Burial's Untrue: The making of a masterpiece

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Remote Control Triangle, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork Thread Starter

Great video on Burial's fantastic album, "Untrue." Very interesting. Great insight into how he composed his tracks, I've been fascinated with his unique tempo and drum arrangement ever since I first heard his stuff...never knew he made everything in such crappy software without a sequencer. Pretty wild and very unheard of in electronic music. As the saying goes, "It's not the bow and arrow, it's the archer."

elvotix, fRa, Marble Index and 13 others like this.
  2. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

Thank you, very interesting. I have not yet found an emotional entry into Burial's works, but this was revealing. I can see clear similarities to how I am thinking of soundscaping, even though I have not yet found my "true own way". I am currently planning some new stuff and even though I am much more coming from an ambient/collage/associative/cut-up approach that I still need to achieve, this was really interesting. I guess I may want to work through this album, it may gain relevance for me.

3. Timos

Timos Forum resident

I need to watch that.

Love, love, LOVE Burial - my favourite electronic musician. I chomp at the bit for his latest releases. Great music to listen to on a dark night in suburbia, and one of the genuine reasons why I look forward to autumn and winter. His music doesn't make sense to me unless it's dark outside.

I've read somewhere that his use of bass frequencies is akin to that warm rush of air one gets standing on a tube (London underground train station, non UKers!) platform before the train turns up. Love that analogy, and bang right.

Am looking forward to the 'Tunes' double CD released in a week or so. I've actually got all of the material but I'd like it on CD in a more 'permanent' form out of respect for the man (if that makes any sense). Plus, the sequencing is out of chronological order - I believe it was compiled by Mr Bevan himself - and I'm looking forward to how the thing flows as a result. Again - I could easily sequence a playlist to copy the tracklisting using my downloads from iTunes, but I'm holding out for the 'real deal', again - out of respect.

4. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Try this beauty. It will be included in the long awaited Tunes double cd mentioned above.

5. Timos

Timos Forum resident

Yeah, great tune.

Marble Index likes this.
  6. Timos

Timos Forum resident

I received notification that my CD copy of “Tunes 2011 - 2019” has been dispatched today, and just an hour ago Bandcamp sent me the download link (a day early!).

Perfect timing, weather-wise; there’s still enough of winter left to go for a long walk in the dark to listen to this sad, beautiful music.

lonelysea likes this.
  7. Timos

Timos Forum resident

Great little documentary. The realisation that this album contains a warped, gender-altered Beyoncé blew my mind.

8. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

IIRC he started using wave editors to compose stuff because he initially made things on the original PlayStation (Music 2000 perhaps?), got used to the way it worked and found them the most natural progression. Can't turn anything up with Google but I'm sure I read that years ago.

This Simon Reynolds article from a couple of years back is well worth a read too.

Marble Index, Timos and ralphb like this.
  9. ralphb

Amazon still hasn't settled on a shipping date for my pre-order. Kind of stupid as it's coming out tomorrow.o_O
    Regardless, very much looking forward to this long overdue compilation.

10. Yakr

Yakr Forum Resident

Does he have to credit all of those artists he sampled? Does that leave him anything left after they've been paid?

11. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork Thread Starter

Heh, mine too. Never knew that about that sample.

Timos likes this.
  12. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Bull Moose just delivered my copy of Tunes today. So psyched, I’ve been hoping for this compilation for years. Even if it’s a compilation, this is a contender for album of the year for me.

13. Timos

Timos Forum resident

Eeep. That’s not great. Hope they get it out to you soon.

14. Timos

Timos Forum resident

That’s a very good question.

There’s Michael Jackson samples on there too - if not on Untrue then on something else - “Rock With You” if I remember correctly. I wouldn’t have thought his lawyers would let that slip under the net.

15. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

A masterpiece indeed. :righton:

Marble Index likes this.
  16. Michel_LeGrisbi

Michel_LeGrisbi Far-Gone Accumulator ™

This type of "sonic sculpting" I enjoy, although I do listen to the debut more (I like dub poetry) :hide:

Certainly has aged better than most of the farting Transformer noise that the kids went nuts over :magoo:

Timos likes this.
  17. Timos

Timos Forum resident

How could anyone know?! Those samples are insane.

The girls are turned into boys and the boys into girls. I remember reading somewhere that this gender-melding reinforces the idea of “angels” as a recurring theme (‘Archangel’; the guardian angels in the’Rival Dealer’ EP) in Burial’s music - as traditionally angels are neither male or female. Whether or not this was a conscious decision by the artist, I don’t know.

Burial is COOL.

18. Timos

Timos Forum resident

It’s very fitting that Burial first started making music on a PS1. He’s a hardcore gamer, apparently.

That article is great - I already had it saved in my bookmarks on my browser!

19. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

Yeah, there was a funny quote in one of his rare interviews where he refused to give an ETA on new material because Dark Souls II was imminent and he had to play that before he could do anything else :D

He seems a man of taste in that department - MGS, Majora's Mask and ICO samples, an obvious affinity with FromSoft, Silent Hill etc.

Marble Index and Timos like this.
  20. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Ordered my copy of Tunes... direct from Hyperdub a couple weeks ago - says it’s on the way!
    Pitchfork just gave it a glowing review.

Marble Index likes this.
  21. ralphb

Amazon US needs more time to get a delivery date.
    Amazon UK can't get it to the states until January
    Import cds has it on back order.
    Bull Moose is out of stock.

Get the feeling that Hyperdub underestimated demand.

Spotify here I come.

Timos and Izozeles like this.
  22. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Great to see a thread on Burial here.

Although the video in the first post is OK in places, especially around what was sampled, the whole thing of how he changed music is almost as cock-a-hoot hyperbole as when Daft Punk apparently did it as well (in one of their documentaries).

Due to the fact that neither artist speaks to anyone, it seems to remain for jornos to pile on laughable superlatives until the cows come home. Mary Anne Hobbs referred to Burial's track once as "humid" - but she is a massive idiot.

I'm not a fan of his last couple of E.P.'s if I'm honest, I stopped buying them. The first CD on Spotify of this new collection was a tough listen for me. Genius it is not.

23. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

my case too. I´m really eager to put my hands on it

ralphb likes this.
  24. ralphb

Even "Come Down To Us"?

25. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

That was from the last good EP yes, bought that one