Buying records from Amazon

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Oelewapper, May 18, 2022.

1. April Snow

April Snow Forum Resident

The GST (Goods & Services tax) which is 10% of the purchase price is added by Amazon, so they handle that part, it is added to the final price.

Oelewapper likes this.
  2. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor. Thread Starter

Nice. That doesn’t happen over here.
    Paying import duties up front is very rare.

3. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

Amazon is the only place I'll buy new records from. Mostly cos there is a high chance I'll have to order three or four of them to get a clean copy.

4. Andrea_Bellucci

Andrea_Bellucci Forum Resident

Hi!

If you do return too often, they will bann your account.

Bye Andrea :wave:

5. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

I think when buying new vinyl online there is no more of a problem than buying at the store.
    You can't see the vinyl, or what shape it's in.

Buying used us always a chance. Even when using known groups such as Discogs.

I'm not sure about Amazon's return policy. I'd think that's where any problem will lie.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  6. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Just a heads up but the Coltrane's Favorite things repress on Atlantic with 2 albums, one mono the other stereo is for sale on Amazon right now for $33 or so. That's cheaper that used copies on Discogs.

7. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Out of a cupla hundred purchases from the 'zon, I've had zero issues with packaging. I had one wrong order, a rap album shipped instead of the 1/2 speed remaster of the Stones - Some Girls). Return easy peasy. Another cupla album returns for Christmas presents that were dupes, again, no questions asked and simple.

8. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

Amazon used to have an Advanced Search function which did allow one to enter record label, it was great, but in the mid-2010s, for some inexplicable to me reason, it was eliminated; multiple e-mails asking why have never provided any believable response; it's my perception was that it was long gone before any of the current employees were even there, given the inability to understand what I'm even writing to them about. It was great for entering record company name, then sorting by price; still had way too many totally irrelevant responses, just as now, but there WERE fewer of them.

9. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

They do threaten me now and again...

10. Oelewapper

Report them to the police :cop:

11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I've heard of this happening and I think a couple members here had it happen. Never happened to me (yet). One thing they have started doing is limiting the number of times you can return one purchase. For example if you buy a record, you may be allowed to return it for a replacement but not try a third copy. If the replacement isn't to your satisfaction they will force you to take a refund or keep the item. Of course you can just purchase the album a second time to get another go-round.

Oelewapper and Andrea_Bellucci like this.
  12. Countermoon

Countermoon Well-Known Member

I started buying from individuals via discogs.com

13. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

Really, I always inspect the record at the store

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  14. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Do you just rip the plastic open? Bit disrespectful to other customers. Or are vinyl records not sealed in shrinkwrap in Wales?

15. Mark Shred

Mark Shred Fiery the angels fell..........

I'm not sure what independent record stores you're using that
    In the whole time I've been buying Records ( 40 years ) , I've never once had a store with such a policy. I've bought Records from all over the world and never even come across anything as crazy as that ! Name and shame the store !

16. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

In my experience inspecting the record can only tell you so much. Some look half wrecked but play ok. Some look utterly pristine and have major crackle.

17. Oelewapper

Really depends on the records.
    DJ records often come without shrink wrap.

18. Oelewapper

The record just arrived.
    All just fine in a cardboard mailer.
    So shipping takes about 3 days, which is decent for a German webshop.

bever70 likes this.
  19. bever70

I got one of the Paris albums I ordered a few weeks ago, sadly got the message that his 3lp from 2015 is sold out and no longer available. They should transfer the money back to my account...

20. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

As a fellow Dutch in such a small country its a bit embarrassing to buy from such a sad and devilish company.

21. Oelewapper

How long have you been waiting for that to happen?

Well, how about bol.com?
    Lol.

RemyM likes this.
  22. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

Actually i looked up who owns it and how they are treating there employees as i buy some books there. It wasn't bad. The reviews from employees were ok.

Oelewapper likes this.
  23. bever70

I only got a notification monday that this title is no longer available so I will expect to receive the refund one of these days. Never had an issue before so not expecting any now.

Oelewapper likes this.
  24. Oelewapper

Ah I didn't know that - I thought that bol.com was basically the Dutch version of Amazon.

Okay good to hear. I've seen reviews of jpc.de varying from bad to good.

25. Adagio

Adagio Forum Resident

I like to support my local brick and mortar store.

However when reviews indicate that a particular release has pressing quality inconsistencies I will go with Amazon because of their no hassle return policy. (e.g. recently ordered Joe Henderson's "Inner Urge" from amazon due to multiple complaints re pressing defects).

April Snow likes this.