Byrds Nyrds: Talk about anything Byrds related here (Part 04)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Mar 17, 2015.

1. low_line

low_line lukewarm water

I respect what you say, but the big, discursive type of (auto)biog. can be good for leading the casual fan down a path towards greater appreciation and enrichment. I don't know about 'trash talk' (one person's trash talk is another person's unburdening - a therapeutic, better-out-than-in exercise), but you'd surely want a book spiced with some direct opinion and disclosure. The crux would be the quality of the writing (great writing can make even unappealing subjects interesting), and you'd imagine that with McGuinn the writing could be really rather good. He's certainly an interesting figure - that transformation from the cool, distanced and rather pithy psychedelic soothsayer of yore into the avuncular, clear-sighted and self-effacing character he is today is one of the most intriguing in modern music. He's one of the finest survivors of the '60s rock scene (as are Crosby and Hillman, of course; so heartening that all three are still with us, and in such an engaged and spirited way).

2. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

My guess -- and it's just that, a total guess, based on nothing! -- is that "John, John" is one of the following:

1. An old but not actually "traditional" British music-hall type song, perhaps written in the 1910s, '20s, or '30s, that McGuinn picked up somewhere;
    2. A new song with a slightly old-timey British sound and diction (a la some of Richard Thompson's songs) written by a friend or acquaintance of McGuinn's who was no longer alive when the Sundazed reissue came out.

In either case, the compilers of the Sundazed reissue didn't know its provenance and just assumed it was out of copyright in 2002 (which may or may not have been true).

3. Sure, the type of book you describe is what most of us would like ......but in my opinion, he’s not that guy.
    As it relates to music and songs - I believe he would do that part - BUT only if it makes a music or lyric point.

As I wrote:
    “Any general , personal statements or disclosures would be most welcome, but that part would be likely minimal and he would not be forthcoming.

This would be a music book - not a bio, not a tell all, not an investigative book. Just McGuinn and music.”

In fact, much of his music knowledge and perspective might get diminished if the book contained “unburdening, therapeutic “ elements.
    I think he doesn’t want
    to stir up the issues and people that any disclosures about others or himself his writing would create.

I could be wrong, but that’s how I see it.

My guess his nature is to prefer being a mysterious enigma, rather than an open, Jolly Roger.

Earscape, Hep Alien and carlwm like this.
  4. low_line

low_line lukewarm water

I think you're probably right (the man's reserve seems a natural given: first maintained as cool disengagement, when he was sporting the square shades and espousing mind-expansion, and now maintained as the becoming reticence of Christian modesty). But he might find the quiet of a book to be a place where he could be more open and confessional than he is able to be when interviewed. Just idle speculation.

carlwm and Paperback Writer like this.
  5. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Bob Irwin of Sundazed worked pretty closely with McGuinn on compiling, mixing, and sometimes overdubbing tracks for the 90s Byrds box set and reissues. So you would think he would have access to McGuinn and would have checked with him about that song.

6. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

OmIsWhereTheHeartIs Forum Resident

Ah yes. And everyone could skip the shanties chapter except carlwm who would have the corner folded down. :p

7. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

To me haul away, to me heave away. :D

Hep Alien and Paperback Writer like this.
  8. Maggie

This is what made me wonder if McGuinn himself knows the song's history, but it's also possible that no-one bothered asking him. Based on some questions that I asked him by email 15 or 16 years ago (and which he responded to very graciously), this period of recording seems not to be one that McGuinn remembers very well or feels very inclined to talk about.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  9. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

It still seems weird though, that if this song has any history at all, beyond being contemporary to and then left off Roger's album, that none of us can find any trace of it. Not impossible, of course, that it hasn't left any sort of footprint. Feels odd, though.

Paperback Writer, zobalob and Maggie like this.
  10. Professor Roger McGuinn at U.C. Berkeley

Great 90 minutes with Roger McGuinn in a classroom environment. It includes environmental and technology interests of Roger - that’s the class topic, but goes increasingly to more about music.

Starts dry and slow, warms up and is fun, informative and funny (at least to Byrds/McGuinn fans. Best to make sure you have the time carved out to watch. It’s not a hit and skip info bonanza - but is a relaxing, , interesting watch.

Not sure if it’s been posted here, or you’ve seen it - if you haven’t seen it, it’s “must see YouTube.”
    Relaxed pace. When it’s over you look back and think- “That was a lot of stuff covered on this website - a bit of 8 Miles High, a McGuinn book?, The Folk Den, Jim McGuinn hiding in Rio,.......enjoy!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  11. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

McGuinn hasn’t posted on Twitter since the 14th, so no chance to retweet my question.
    Er, rather, Maggie’s question.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  12. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Odd for him. He usually posts almost daily. Hope he’s ok

zobalob likes this.
  13. Maggie

McGuinn's twitter activity seems to have notably reduced around the time of the US election. Without reading any specific political attitude into that, it may be that he simply didn't want to deal with those issues and took a break.

14. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

Is he usually political on Twitter or something?

Ringo is usually super active on social media and there was a time where he didn't post for weeks and my heart sank thinking something had happened to him (being 80 and all) but he came back luckily.

Paperback Writer likes this.
  15. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

No. But he is often inundated with political questions.

16. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Ringo plays drums on the new Steve Lukather single. Looks about 50 in the video. Good for him!

17. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Roger took a lot of flack on usenet about 20 years ago, after he appeared on The 700 Club and voiced his opposition to gay marriage. Since then, he's been more circumspect about voicing political opinions. Both he and Hillman have a Christian conservative standpoint. I've never seen either of them make public comments about any issue that didn't fall under that umbrella. Nor do I know of any instance of either of them talking about or endorsing any specific politician. They are not Ted Nugents by any means.

18. Maggie

They do both have political contributions on the public record. McGuinn discussed politics with uncharacteristic openness during the 2015 Republican debates, but forum rules presumably prevent me from reporting what he said. Some of the details are currently on Wikipedia.

19. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

Oh I know. He is the most active famous person on social media that I know of. He looks incredible for 80.

Paperback Writer and carlwm like this.

20. Well, the song , The Trees Are All Gone, recorded in 1990, makes a strong statement on the environment, lyrics below. Years later, as seen in the video I posted a couple days ago, he doubles down on its sentiments and even sings the song for the Class in Environmental Studies.

So there’s that.

THE TREES ARE ALL GONE

The glaciers near the polar cap
    Have all begun to melt
    Temperatures are on the rise
    Far from the southern belt

Water levels shifting tides
    On every changing land
    Rain forests in the Amazon
    Have vanished from our hand

And the trees are all gone
    Yeah you know it's all wrong
    And the trees are all gone

The people want to eat today
    And so they clear the land
    Global warming is a concept
    They can't understand
    But all the politicians now
    They have no excuse
    They just hide behind their power
    And keep us from the truth

Man has tried his suicide
    With bigotry and hate
    But in the end he'll kill himself
    With nothing but his waste

What will finally happen when
    The farm lands turn to dust
    When only rich receive the food
    And nothing's left for us

But all the politicians now
    They have no excuse
    They just hide behind their power
    And keep us from the truth

Maggie and carlwm like this.

21. Well, at least I really respect their music acumen, so I’ll leave it at that. ;);)

Maggie, carlwm and pablo fanques like this.
  22. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Roger played this one when I saw him about 6-8 years go. Only song off Back from Rio in the set.

23. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

What are Byrds Nyrds thoughts on Donovan? Although everything about him, the era, the style of music, etc. should be right in my wheelhouse, there is something about him that doesn't click for me. Almost like an inauthenticness? Any thoughts?

24. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I know exactly what you mean. He does have a few albums I like, though, and he's exceptional live.

25. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

Its tough to explain. Not sure if he is worth another shot or not.

carlwm likes this.