Cambridge Solo Phono Preamp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dennis1077, Dec 19, 2018.

1. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's interesting you should post this. I was considering ordering a Marantz PM 6006 and using that phono stage over the Cambridge Solo. I have always heard good things about the Marantz phono stage.

Andrea_Bellucci likes this.
  2. Andrea_Bellucci

Andrea_Bellucci Forum Resident

Hi!

It might also be that a wire inside my Rega RB 300 is broken. It's 20 years old so that might be the case.

I have to test it out and will report back. :)

Bye Andrea :wave:

dennis1077 likes this.
  3. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm looking forward to hearing how it works. I can say that the Cambridge is a nice little unit.

4. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

I previously have had the Cambridge 540, I found the Marantz phono at least as good if not better IMO, maybe the solo is a better unit though. I ended up selling it, was using a Denon dl110 at the time, since changing to an AT740ml I have added a Musical Fidelity LX2-LPS and this time it's a noticeable improvement over the internal phono, I still very much like the Marantz phono though. I'd find it hard to describe why I like it more, so just a personal opinion.

5. Mr. Bewlay

Mr. Bewlay It Is The Business Of The Future To Be Dangerous.

I bought the Cambridge Alva Duo about three months ago, love it. Amazed at the level of detail. I hear detail I've never heard before on records I've been listening to for forty years. Well worth the money.

6. Andrea_Bellucci

Hi!

Yeah, the Musical Fidelity Lx2-LPS was my second on the list but here in Europe it is 215€ while the Cambridge Audio Solo is only 170€.

What I like about the Solo that it has a build in power supply and not these cheapy outside ones which often introduces noise.

But if the Cambridge Solo will not give any improvement, maybe I will go with the Musical Fidelity Lx2-lps. Does your unit came with the loading plugs?

7. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

No mine didn't unfortunately.

8. Andrea_Bellucci

Hi Guys!

Short update:

the Cambridge Audio Solo arrived today and I installed it.

Unfortunatly it did not resolve my hum issue, but after listening for about 5 hrs over this little unit, I can say that it sounds slightly different compared to the internal phono stage of my Marantz PM 6006.

It has more clarity and better separation of instruments and a slightly better soundstage. So I have to test it further but my first impression is quite good.

c-eling, dennis1077 and GordonM like this.
  9. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

After a few months still happy with it Andrea?
    Was thinking of giving this one a shot- the Duo gives better specs but I don't need MC or a headphone amp.

10. Andrea_Bellucci

Hi!

Yes, I'm still very happy with the Solo. I also considered the Duo but like you I didn't need the extras although it has better specs.

I also solved my hum issue (new motor, pulley and belt on my 20 year old Acoustic Signature Samba).

The only slight complain I have is the white LED. It is too bright even when the Solo is in Stand-by mode.

So give it a try. And if you do please report back. :)

dennis1077, c-eling and GordonM like this.
  11. c-eling

Good to know, and thanks for the reply!
    I bit, so I should have it next week sometime :)
    It will be replacing and old Musical Fidelity VLPSII :righton:

12. c-eling

So far so good!
    Sounds nice out of the box. The 20 minute auto shut-off can be defeated by holding the power button for four seconds. I do like the channel balance feature. Good for those Miles left channel heavy 1/2 speeds :D
    My nephew is showing some interest in the format so I may gift the VLPS to him :righton:
    [​IMG]

13. Andrea_Bellucci

Hi!

That's nice! How does it compare to your MuFi V90 LPs?

I just thought the same for the balanced knob. :)

But I don't think I will use it. Your LED looks like it is blue while mine is white, so maybe they have changed the colour of the LED?!

c-eling likes this.
  14. c-eling

The photo comes out as blue, looks like an off white color.
    I only have a few hours into it and so far I'm happy! Noticed it is a tad 'warmer' than the VLPSII which is nice. The gain out of the VLPS must of been huge, I had to turn up the input gain on the focusrite quite a bit for the Cambridge, probably to allow headroom for cart's with high mV.
    Thanks for the recommendation, it's a keeper :)

15. Jaytecx

Jaytecx Well-Known Member

Just purchased one of these bad boys. Can vouch that the sound is very satisfying. Clean and clear sound from the ALVA solo without losing any of the punch and weight of vinyl sound. Music I’m playing is some Ronnie Laws and Level 42.

The LED is white, and I like how it looks when on standby

Rekkerds and dennis1077 like this.
  16. Henrik_Swe

Henrik_Swe Well-Known Member

Considering doing the same thing - curious just how good the phono stage is on my Arcam SA30.

Has anyone compared the Solo with the Alva Duo? I assume there are more differences than just the headphone output?

17. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

I own the Solo and have wondered the same. The Duo includes MC of course as well as the headphone socket you mention, but the specs on the Cambridge Audio site for the MM are slightly different - or were the last time I checked.

Edit: I checked - I may be missing it but can’t see the difference in specs other that RIAA curve accuracy. Unclear that applies to MM. Anyway, whether I could hear a difference is an entirely different matter. Probably not.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    Henrik_Swe likes this.
  18. Henrik_Swe

Thanks, that's very good to know - I was mainly eyeing the Duo (budget $300-400), but if the Solo is about the same there's some money to be saved there.

19. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

I have never heard the Duo or have seen a review of the Solo Vs Duo MM function so it's pure speculation. Most specs look similar between the two on the MM side.

I'm happy enough for the time being with the Solo.

20. Andrea_Bellucci

21. Henrik_Swe

Sounds promising, and thanks for the link. :)

For me, it's a question of how much I have to spend to top the phono in my amplifier. Not sure how good it is. I mean it sounds great, but I'm always curious for upgrades that likely will make it sounds even better. Pretty low budget right now though.

22. cjameswhite

cjameswhite Active Member

I know this is a really old post but came across it as I’m currently demo-ing a Schiit Mani and a Cambridge Audio Solo side by side. To my ear, the Mani blows it away. It’s noticeably noisier than the Solo, but the detail and soundstage are much better. The Solo isn’t bad, but it just feels muted and a bit unexciting. I’ve also ordered a second hand Rega Fono MM Mk3 which I’ll demo alongside the other two, but if the Rega tops the Mani I’ll be shocked.

not sure if that helps, but thought I’d share :)

GordonM likes this.
  23. Henrik_Swe

Thanks for the input - I'm currently looking at these 3 myself. Looking forward to hearing what you think of the Rega.

cjameswhite likes this.
  24. cjameswhite

cjameswhite Active Member

Would be great to hear your thoughts too! Rega PS1 arriving this week so will add more soon...

Henrik_Swe likes this.
  25. Warksman

Warksman Forum Resident

I also bought the Alva Duo, about 8 months ago.Agreed, really brings out detail i'd not heard before.Really lovely sound through this pre amp