Can a test record damage a cartridge?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by keiron99, Jan 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Probably a daft question!

I've got myself a new cartridge (AT OC9 XSH), which replaces my AT 150MLX.

I have a copy of the HiFi News test record. My 150MLX never really did very well with it, but it sounded good anyway. TBH, I'm not sure I fully understand all the tests on the disc anyway!

I've only had my new cart a couple of days, set it up according to the instructions and it sounds great.

I'm actually put off using the test record because I remember just how violent some of the "torture tests" are on it! So my question is - could it possibly damage the stylus?

2. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

I can't think of any way any record could damage a cartridge other than the usual wear. What tests are on there that you think could cause damage, and that I might not think of?

3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

NO.

radioalien likes this.
  4. keiron99

There are some tests that cause a cartridge to buzz like fury and even jump out of the groove!

5. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

I'd just play some music

6. keiron99

Thanks. So I ran my new AT OC9 XSH through the HiFi News test record. Not sure if anyone here is familiar with it?

TBH I don't fully understand the "instructions" on the record. It is rather vague!

On Side 2, for what it's worth, everything seemed fine. Not really sure what I'm listening for. There's no buzzing anywhere. The "resonant frequency", where it starts wobbling both visually and sonically, was 7Hz. I gather that's OK?

However side 1 was a different story. Things went wrong on band 8: "Bias setting - 300Hz tone, 16db". Here, it started to buzz on both channels, mostly the left. The recommended VTF for the cartridge is 1.8 to 2.2, with a recommendation of 2. It buzzed everywhere between those settings, and adjusting the anti skate didn't fix it.

There's an even tougher test at 18db which of course it "failed". The notes with the test record however suggest you should be aiming to pass the 16db test.

The review of this cartridge by HiFi News, says "its tracking performance ...is outstanding. On test it sailed through the top 80µm band and suffered distortion of just 0.2% and 0.3% at 315Hz with the +15dB and +18dB test tracks, respectively (re. 5cm/sec)."

Have I got something set up wrong, or should I not worry?

7. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Maybe. You would have to test to find out.

8. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Anything is possible. :) (especially on the internet)

I'm sure if I tried I could find a way to do it.... but in normal, adult use and when not in a heavily altered state :) a test record should not harm the LP from a "feature" standpoint! Even with the torture tracks.... so if you're well aligned and tracking well to start, I wouldn't fear a torture track. Give it a rip.

But again, I am sure a very poorly set up TT (TF, VTA, stylus alignment, etc) the possibility for damage increases, not probable........ but anything is possible in the worst case.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  9. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

No.

Dirty records coming at-cha stylus will do a number.

caracallac likes this.
  10. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

After many years of using this record
    I came to this conclusion.
    Most cartridges have a recommended
    Vtf ie 1.5 to 1.7g
    Now, using this data I find that band 1
    Is easily passed.
    Band 2.
    This will probably induce mistracking. Adjust bias so that its equal
    On both channels.
    Assuming arm to be parallel to record
    Play your favourite record.
    It will sound superb.
    Forget the other tests.

Classicrock and anorak2 like this.
  11. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

^^^ This.

Set the VTF to the recommended value, set the anti-skating so any buzzing you hear is equal (L/R) on whichever track buzzing first starts to appear, and listen to some music.

Most vinyl won't exceed +12db, it would be nice to successfully track the 14db.

Keep in mind that Shure demonstrated (and I have confirmed with some of my own recordings) that low frequency tracking doesn't tell the entire story. It IS possible to make a cartridge track the 18db 315-hz track that performs poorly at higher frequencies.

Think of it kind of like a single loudspeaker driver trying to reproduce the entire audible spectrum. A driver that reproduces bass outstandingly (woofer) may be terrible at HF.

Thorensman likes this.
  12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

On some extreme tracking tests, the groove can cause the cartridge to jump out and fly to the spindle. If you choose to do these extreme tests, you need to be watching things very, very carefully. Be prepared to grab the arm or lift the cue lever if it jumps out of the groove very quickly. If you cannot do that, you shouldn't be doing that test.

On the HFN, which I don't recommend, I think there is a +18dB test.

On the Ortofon test LP, and other test LPs, there is a 315Hz tone with increasing amplitude. 50-100um in 10um increments. The 90um and 100um tests are very extreme and not all cartridges can pass them. Better cartridges should be able to stay in the groove at least to 80um.

Now, keep in mind these tests are for general tracking ability only.

They do not test inner groove tracing ability, or anything else like the ability to track sibilant passages. For that I recommend you use records of music from your collection that you know to be challenging.

13. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

That is absolutely true. These types of tests, are "necessary but not sufficient" in my book. There are DJ carts with fat conical styli that do very well on tracking tests, yet struggle with sudden sibilants (esp. certain female vocals) and inner grooves. These tests only test one thing, not everything.

14. I have that record,though if your cartridge is lined up correctly and your AS is about right,I say this because one of my tables has no AS an AR-XA the rest have a weight on a notched rod,your looking for a ballpark with that album though its a good guide to see how good your tonearm is,thats my opinion.
    For £5-10 get a UK first pressing of Joan Armatrading-Love and Affection,the title track is all you need to hear if your set up right,deep bass and a 12 string lead out. Nilsson Jump Into The Fire is another great test and again its a cheap used record.
    In my opinion if those two tracks play well your good to go,for sibilants Pet Clarke Down Town,though Ive gone through multiple copies of that to find a record that hasn't got previous ground in IGD.

Thorensman likes this.
  15. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Does that include 12'' singles? The blurb on my first ever 12'' (below) explains

"The idea to produce a disco single in LP size but at 45 rpm derives from the necessity of increasing the volume of the record especially if the duration of the title is long. An advantage for HiFi fans who want to hear their singles with much more power than ordinary single recordings.

The record having a larger diameter allows to increase the width of the groove and the distance between grooves. Thus we are able to produce records with maximum volume only limited by the recording systems.

Other remarkable advantages are the increase of width, consequently depth, of the groove eliminates the tendency of the pickup system to "jump the groove" at extreme frequency distributions.

A third avantage not less important is that the level of the modulation is higher above the background noise of the record, i.e. the signal to noise ratio is higher in respect of a normal singgle of long uration where the covering of background noise is not effective when the record is out at lower volumes ue to its longer duration.

Summarizing we may emphasize that the Super Single Hansa is a record for professionals and ambitious amateuers."

(Grammatical errors as in original)

How true is this, and what does it mean in dB?

[​IMG]

16. missan

missan Forum Resident

Have not looked into what it means, but higher velocity means smaller groove angles which will track better.

17. keiron99

As it happens, I do have that even though it's not really my cup of tea...purely because it's often cited as a good test. I can confirm it does sound fantastic with my new cartridge so it would seem everything is tickety-boo!

Curiosity likes this.
  18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Can't speak to this particular record, but DJ singles are often cut louder than an LP. Ron Murphy at NSC, who was famous for cutting techno records in the late 80s and throughout the 90s recommended a 33.3 rpm record have no more than 10 minutes of material per side, with 7 per side recommended for a 45 rpm record.

This was done so the record could be cut as loud as possible. How loud in dB? Not sure. But these were loud. I have a few.

Not sure how relevant to OP they would be though.

More info here:

https://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/2015/05/ron-murphy-feature

anorak2 likes this.
  19. harby

harby Forum Resident

I've not yet found a DJ single that obviously mistracked because of level or acceleration. 1987-92 when I was buying the bulk of the stuff was when everything about pressing vinyl was sorted. Increasing digital production elements, processing, or cutting with digital delay line means little siblance from unchecked ultrasonic due to Nyquist. 300Hz of these test tracks, the stylus losing contact with the groove wall, isn't so prominent in music.

This is helped by most discs avoiding much of the inner groove, or putting a filler "dub track" as the second track.

Here's a loud 12" 45RPM - Sample-JJLetsKiss.flac

anorak2 and patient_ot like this.
  20. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Now we are talking. I like this answer.
    Who actually believes that we must
    Use these test records to get things right.
    We listen to records playing music.
    I have never heard of any manufacturer of phono cartridges who suggests using such a test record to set up with.
    ( with the exception of Soundsmith who
    Gives his views and they make a lot if sense). They suggest a VTF range and to level tonearm.
    Following this advice I never mistracking

I.believe a lot of record lovers are happy with their turntables till they buy a test
    Record, after which discontentment sets
    In.
    Using higher vtf to comply with test record does not enhance sound quality.
    So, I agree with green Elf,
    use certain records to set up with. Simple
    and effective.

Who recommends

21. Davey

Davey NP: Broadcast ~ The Noise Made by People (2000 LP)

I'm not sure what test record Paul Miller uses for these tests, they always say that it's 315Hz, which would mean it's not the HFN test record since that is all done at 300Hz, as you mention. The +18dB track is equivalent to just over 100um, which is very highly modulated, but as you say, they were able to track it with low distortion in the test. There have been other cartridge test where that track sent the cartridge flying.

I have the AT-OC9XML, and it does track very well, but I don't have the HFN test record. Are you sure your copy is still in good shape and wasn't damaged previously? Side two does have three tracks at +15dB spread over the side, and you passed that OK, but that's only the equivalent of about 70um. The 16dB tracks would be about 80um or so, but I don't think the HFN test record is calibrated very well, and I've heard some of the tracks exceed the values in the descriptions.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about it if confident it is setup well, and sounds good. The resonance will be a bit low on a medium mass arm since it is relatively high compliance at around 23cu, so 7Hz is expected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.