Can it be the reason why Uriah Heep never were taken seriously....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, Feb 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

Keep in mind that the RIAA didn't start awarding platinum certifications until later. In the early '70s gold was it, so it sounds like they were doing very well in the US at least for a few years.

danielbravo and Zeki like this.
  2. old school

old school Senior Member

Thank you some of these people don't no anything about Uriah Heep.

danielbravo and Zeki like this.
  3. old school

old school Senior Member

I would say they were a second tier band in there prime! There 1971 album Look At Yourself was as heavy as anything in 1971.

4. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Salisbury is in my personal top 10. I like it and Look at Yourself more than the more acclaimed records that followed.

danielbravo, strummer101 and muddy810 like this.
  5. old school

old school Senior Member

Two great albums for sure. I also really like there debut album the song Gypsy has some of the finest organ ever recorded.

danielbravo, strummer101 and Zeki like this.
  6. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

It didn't look that stupid in 1973 but the truth is their songs were not that good.

MungoMusic and Malina like this.
  7. Seederman

Seederman Forum Resident

David Byron didn't look any more stupid than any other rock singer. He took command of the stage, and had a fine voice for the material. Freddy Mercury probably owes a lot of his career to him.

And how "seriously" are we talking anyway? The band had a huge number of gold records, they managed to record ten albums with Byron in just 7 years (and have continued without him to this very day), and believe it or not, have made some very entertaining albums.

In fact, I just left a love letter for them here the other day, in a thread that didn't really go anywhere. Perhaps rather than rewriting the same post all over, I can just quote it here?

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...ah-heep-1970-1973.286092/page-2#post-11801574

8. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Just your opinion, so there's no right or wrong.

Sod the image, it's all about the music...at least for me, it is. :)

jay.dee, Dingo, Zeki and 1 other person like this.
  9. old school

old school Senior Member

Some of the finest Hammond playing ever!

10. Dingo

Dingo Forum Resident

Uriah Heep fronted by David Byron were one of the best and tightest live bands of their era. They were huge in the U.K., Eorope, Japan and Australasia.
    I saw them on the early seventies tour tour that generated the first live album. They were not over the top in anyway. Just a band, their gear, and a few lights. Sensational.
    FWIW- Byron was an exceptional vocalist with several octaves of range, and great phrasing.

11. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

Still better than Coldplay!

12. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I'll tell you who might have mixed feelings about that video - John Wetton.

13. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

thank you for posting this. Heep were fantastic but I'm kind of ok with people believing otherwise.

moodyxadi and danielbravo like this.
  14. old time fan

old time fan Active Member

It goes to show you have no clue what you are talking about. You must be reading wrong history books.

15. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member Thread Starter

Yeah, so the only people who can post about the Beatles are the one who were there? Dare I ask who has the right to post about Bach??

16. Lk4605

Lk4605 Forum Resident

I don't find him more stupid than other singers..and he was a good one !

17. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

Man that's horrible.

Echo likes this.
  18. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

Oh...he looked silly alright.

19. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

Didn't Roger Dean do a couple album covers for them?

MungoMusic and junk like this.
  20. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

It's because their name looks like 'urine'.
    Oh no, now you've got me posting this.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  21. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

I wouldn't say "stupid" - just a little weird. He seems to have had a very eccentric personality, and that shows on stage.

22. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

It's only rock 'n' roll - strictly not to be taken seriously.

That's why I like it.

23. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Heep had a great run of albums in the early 70s but drugs, alcohol and constant lineup shifts ruined the band. I read a bio on UH several years ago and it seemed David Byron's abuse of the bottle was just as bad if not worse than John Bonham. In just a few short years, Heep went from headlining arenas in the US to opening for the likes of Kiss by 1977. And to be honest, you can kind of hear why beginning with "Return to Fantasy". There were still a few good songs but UH couldn't make up their minds whether they wanted to be a hard rock band, a pop band, a boogie band or a funk band. Eventually Heep got themselves sorted out and went from strength to strength beginning with "Abominog" and continue to put out solid albums today. But with David Byron long dead and a lineup that only retains Mick Box from the classic years, it just isn't the same, IMO.

At their best, I took them seriously. I don't put much stock in rating someone a B, C or D grade level band. It's just an easy way of saying if they aren't as ubiquitous as Zeppelin or Sabbath, they suck, particularly for those who don't take hard rock music seriously.

24. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

They were an excellent hard rock/prog band but came across as the poor man's Deep Purple. I had a best mate who was bonkers on them, he played and played "Look At Yourself" and "Magician's Birthday" until the rest of got to like a bunch of songs. One punk/new wave happened, they looked and sounded ridiculous, (just like Deep Purple and Rainbow did).

danielbravo and Echo like this.
  25. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

Who said Uriah Heep were never taken seriously? These guys were huge when I was at school in the 70s and I still love them today. They were much more popular than Deep Purple, their obvious competitor, and almost up there with Zeppelin. As this was a small country town, UH never made it my way for a concert and I was too young to go to Sydney for their local tours.

But these days I live in the big smoke and UH is coming to town!!! They play Doncaster Shopping Town in March, the local venue for all old, washed up bands who can't fill any large venues in the city. And I will be there, for my first ever UH show. Rock N Roll, I can't wait!! Of course Dave Byron won't be there unfirtunately. He may look like a goose in that video but to be honest I haven't watched and don't think I want too. But its only rock and roll. Its entertainment. Why do people get so uptight about UH?

The OP says that they weren't taken seriously like its a bad thing. Well you don't have to take them seriously you just have to relax and have fun. Sex, drugs, rock n roll. That's what its about. Actually I don't do drugs but I'm going to drink a few gallons of beer at Doncaster Shoppingtown, bang my head all night then take my wife home. 2 out of 3 ain't bad!

I might be in a minority here but I love UH. The had at least 4 classic albums in the 70s and a few other good ones. Sure it was never the same without David and I tuned out pretty much after he left. But that is not going to stop me having a real good time on 20 March.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.