Can Merchants Reverse a Credit Card Refund?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by ROFLnaked, Dec 31, 2022.

1. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident Thread Starter

I recently made an online purchase where the receipt states: "60-day return policy; subject to 15% re-stocking fee if not returned to store location." Being penny-wise but pound-foolish, I wasted half of my day off last Saturday driving to my nearest store location to make the return, only to be told no-can-do by the manager because it's a final sale item. I called CS on the way home to ask why there is no mention of "final sale" on my receipt or packing slip, but rather, instructions as to return initiation. He offered me a courtesy return and emailed a FedEx label to me.

I dropped the item off at the local mom & pop FedEx pickup yesterday, and I was told the next pickup would be Tuesday, due to the holiday. This morning I received an email from the merchant saying my refund has been completed; that funds have been returned to my original method of payment, and curiously, that I should "return all unsatisfactory merchandise within 30 days or else my form of payment will be charged once again."

(To clarify before anyone accuses this ROFLnaked person of being a skin flint who is trying to commit eCommerce fraud: I dropped the item off yesterday for return at the local stationery store that has FedEx pickup.)

This gave me pause. Does a merchant have the ability to issue a CC refund, and then reverse that refund 30 days later? I see my FedEx package status still shows "label created" and nothing more, so it appears the merchant issued the refund on goodwill. It appears that Amazon can do this, because they require purchasers to link a bank account/keep a CC on file. That said, it's a bit scary to think that any merchant I've ever done eCommerce with has the ability to make retroactive transaction alterations.

Just curious how this works.

2. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

This would probably get into a "disputes" loop between the merchant and the card company.

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yes. It's the same as with advanced returns that many stores offer, where they send you the replacement, and indicate that if you do not send the return withing 30 days, you will be charged for the replacement on top of the original purchase.

The merchant can, and will, charge you if you don't make the return.

4. ROFLnaked

Thanks Kwad--

I appreciate the confirmation. Is this the new eCommerce protocol? It's curious that the merchant wouldn't wait until they receive the item back, inspect it, and then issue the return. It seems odd that a merchant would authorize a refund, and then go back to the credit card company a month later and say, "Oh, that payment that we refunded 30 days ago? Go ahead and reverse it please."

Do merchants thus keep buyers' credit card info on file? It's a little bit disconcerting that any past merchant theoretically has the unfettered ability to retroactively renegotiate any of my credit card transactions with them.

I'm not trying to be argumentative; just curious about how the process works.

Thanks again, and Happy Holidays!

5. Ken Dryden

Ken Dryden Forum Resident

Certain items are not returnable: usually seasonal close outs and clearance items, open box items and anything sold as is.

When dropping off a return at UPS or FedEx, ask for a receipt and write down the name of the vendor and items returned on it. Hold onto it until the merchant confirms receipt. If the package is lost by FedEx or UPS, your receipt should provide protection against a charge back.

6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Absolutely. You want proof you shipped it off.

If the seller has provided a return label, it is enough to get the item scanned in while you wait when you drop it off at UPS/FedEx. (As long as you have a record of the tracking number). If it's lost after the shipper receives it, it's the seller's problem.

If you are shipping using your own label, and if it's lost, then it's YOUR problem. You have to get the shipper to refund you for the loss--and you'll owe that to the seller. If you are shipping it with your own label, be sure to buy enough insurance to cover loss (or else take the chance you could get burned).

7. ROFLnaked

What I'm still hung up on is that this means any merchant I've ever purchased from has the ability to make future charges to my credit card.

8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Well technically if they still have your card info, they can process the payment again. You can of course dispute this with your card company.

9. Ken Dryden

Ken Dryden Forum Resident

In over 40 years of using credit cards, I've never had a business attempt to charge back a credit I had received.

Maybe I've been lucky or I screen businesses that I deal with pretty well.

I even got full credit for a recent Amazon purchase that was supposedly non-returnable. One of the vendors which has Amazon fulfill their orders sent a health care product that had obviously been torn open before packing, as both the seal and the cardboard flap were torn off. I was stymied until I got in an online chat with an Amazon representative and I received the credit and didn't have to return the product, though I would have gladly sent it.

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If you play by the rules, you shouldn't have that happen.

If you promise to return something and then don't return it, then it can happen.

11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Let me see...store doesn't like how you spent your money...credit card company maintains, it's their money, not yours...credit card company decides to never offer their services to the store for their customers, affecting a significant customer base from store...:idea:

Yeah, I see store being a dick, not being in their best interests, here. :pleased: