Can someone define "Granny music?"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Folknik, May 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

I should have made the connection. It was clear in your thread starter. Maybe it's just a "Granny Smith" thing. :)

[​IMG]

Folknik and Purple Jim like this.
  2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

A lot of my elder's music tastes, I like, I enjoy, I even hunt copies of. That is mom, dad, and grandparents, and even great grandparents, aunts, and uncles.

Folknik likes this.
  3. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

4. Buick6

Buick6 Forum Resident

The direct quote from John about this came from a Melody Maker interview given December 6th, 1969 where he said:

The Beatles can go on appealing to a wide audience as long as they make albums like Abbey Road, which have nice little folk songs like Maxwell's Silver Hammer for the grannies to dig.

John also allegedly, "openly and vocally detested" the song, O-bla-di O-bla-da. calling it Paul's "granny music ****" according to studio engineer Geoff Emerick, in Here There and Everywhere, p.246

O-bla-di O-bla-da was supposedly a (failed) attempt at a Jamaican reggae style song. The Beatles were 5 weeks into the white album sessions when they began work on O-bla-di O-bla-da and up to that point they had not worked on anything of Paul's as a group. Emerick claims John despised the song from the first take, so it was not being asked to repeat it that caused him to dislike it.

These were the only songs that John specifically referred too afaik. Therefore it is not clear that it applies to all the songs mentioned in #2 and it is related to #6 though whether his objection was the lyrics is unclear. He was talking about "nice little folk songs"

Last edited: May 15, 2016
    Zeki, Folknik, Purple Jim and 2 others like this.
  5. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Thanks for that. That sounds like the comment I remembered... so the term is very loosely defined as music that grannies would dig, as I recalled. Emerick's recollections should be taken with a grain of salt, as his memory is apparently very poor and his book has numerous fact errors. So the only song we know for certain Lennon regarded as a "granny song" is Maxwell. The rest is all speculation/extrapolation about what a grandmother might dig.

Folknik likes this.
  6. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

My Granny was a HUGE Miles, Coltrane, Isaac Hayes, and James Brown fan!

Folknik, Purple Jim and Scope J like this.
  7. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

In the future, future grannies may enjoy Justin Bieber.

That's how Criswell would put it :)

8. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Any recommendations for Granny Music comps ?

Folknik likes this.
  9. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Not sure l could define it, but l think it's got a connection to the term, 'he's an all round entertainer'.

Folknik likes this.
  10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

My Gran liked Arthur Askey:

Very similar to Paul's work. :hide:

Mal and Folknik like this.
  11. normanr

normanr Forum Resident

My grandmother used to play this on a 78.

It's not unlike some of the pastiches McCartney and others came up with in the 60s, except back then the "vocal refrain" was very much an afterthought (it doesn't appear until 1.38). I quite like it - good tune and witty lyrics.

Folknik likes this.
  12. abraxa

abraxa Forum Resident

I can define "Granny Music" it's how John Lennon defines the audience for a song when he's in a bad mood.

We really weren't meant to be talking about it 47 years later

bumbletort and Zeki like this.
  13. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

You should ask your mother...

14. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident Thread Starter

I agree wholeheartedly. Transcending the demographics is another nail in the coffin of ageism.

bumbletort likes this.
  15. Folknik

Good idea. Sounds like something I would buy.

Scope J likes this.
  16. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

Calling "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" granny music I can see, but the description wouldn't have made sense for some of the other tunes on Abbey Road, such as "Come Together" or "I Want You (She's So Heavy)"

17. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

This is what I have always heard, and it's an odd comment. John probably meant all those dancehall style tunes (#2 in the original post) but Obladi Oblada doesn't belong in that group.

Jamaicans might have some grounds to criticize the track (the " Ice Ice Baby" of reggae/ska?), but it's not "granny music".

18. Folknik

"Maxwell's Silver Hammer" is a song about a serial killer. My granny would have been horrified.

sallymae_hogsby and bumbletort like this.
  19. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

20. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I do not advocate the consumption of nefarious substances, but I've heard that Granny music is more enjoyable if you smoke crawdads before listening.

Folknik likes this.
  21. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

The Beatles - Good Night

Written by John Lennon.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  22. 905

905 Senior Member

Granny music? I prefer the term pre-Elvis :)

Folknik likes this.
  23. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

I know, but it's a quaint song about a serial killer.

Folknik likes this.
  24. Folknik

And I love it! Beautiful song. Both this one and Paul's "Honey Pie" were covered by Barbra Streisand on her What About Today? album.

25. tcbtcb

tcbtcb Forum Resident

My gram (may she rest in piece) loved this song, because it was "cute" and "had a good beat". :)

ARK, Dynamic Ranger and Folknik like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.