Can someone explain 5.1 surround hookup?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by YaQuin, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YaQuin

YaQuin Formerly Blue Moon Thread Starter

I heard 5.1 music for the first time and I don't think I can go back to stereo. If I purchase a 6 channel amp should I purchase 6 full-range speakers or do I need 5 speakers and 1 subwoofer? This will be used for Audio and Home Theater purposes.

Thank you.

2. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Five full range speakers and one subwoofer equals 5.1.

3. therockman

All you really need is a 5 channel amp because most sub-woofers have a built in amp in them. You could get a 7 channel amp and go 7.1, most receivers on the market today have 7 channels of amplification built in.

4. YaQuin

Therockman, I am aware of that piece. My thread title is misleading.

I mean is there any rule that I have to use a subwoofer or can I substitute a full-range speaker for it? Will that have an affect on what I am playing i.e. dvd-audio or dvd-video?

5. therockman

The tricky part is going to be your cable set-up. If you go high-rez audio, i.e. DVD-A or SACD, then you will need an amplification set-up that has 6 input jacks for analog audio. If you simply go DTS or DD 5.1, then you can use an S/PDIF.

6. therockman

The .1 channel is bandwidth limited to a maximum of 200 hz by design, although most material will only extend to about 125 hz in the .1 channel. Thus, a full range speaker will be wasted, and you probably will not get the advantage of a built in dedicated amplifier for the .1 channel.

7. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Gamma, get the sub to allow you to make full use of the 5.1 sound.

mud-:D

8. YaQuin

Thanks a lot guys, your information helps clarify.

9. Most DVD-A capable players will not redirect the .1 channel to the mains if you do not have a sub (thus Sub set to " No" in set-up menu. mains to Large). That may mean a lot or a little depending on how the MC tracks on a given disc is mixed.

For DVD-V content, such players, pre/pros, and AVR's will redirect, but for whatever reason, DVD-A content does not.

If you happen to have the Chesky Ultimate DVD-A you can test this. They have a test track that calls for you to set the mains to Large and the Sub to Off, then they play a test tone that is encoded only on the .1 track. If you hear it, your good, but I do not think I have ever read a post from anyone where their player passed that test. I know my Pio 45a and Denon 3910 do not.

But its all a moot point if you have a sub.

Brian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.