Can someone tell me how... (.wv and .cue)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by evh5150, Apr 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can someone please help me convert a .wv and .cue file set I have into individual FLAC tracks? I thought I had this worked out with Foobar, but even though the resulting files were playable, Foobar said that there were "major errors" in the conversion.

The software doesn't have to be Foobar; I'm just looking for a simple and free way to do this.

Thank you!

2. evad

evad Well-Known Member

3. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have the software (Foobar). I just can't find step-by-step documentation on how to make it do what I want it to. :)

4. tima

tima Forum Resident

CueTools.

5. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

There is an option in EAC to split a .wav file into seperate tracks based uopn the .cue sheet. Offhand, I am not sure if it can split into .flacs in the same move. I think it can, but if not, the split .wavs can be converted to flac with flac frontend.

Hagi likes this.
  6. evad

evad Well-Known Member

Try what Donald said. Convert to Wav using Wavepack and then load into EAC and use the cue file. I have never done it, but it sounds like it will work.

7. ziggysane

ziggysane Forum Resident

I *think* that EAC will only cut WAV to WAV, but it's simple enough to just convert the individual WAV to FLAC after that. Also, I'm a couple generations behind on EAC so they may have changed it by now.

8. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

CUETools

9. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Load the cue file into Foobar2000. Then, right click on one of the tunes and choose Convert > ... and create a preset that converts the files to WAV. Finally, select all the songs on the file as they appear in Foobar, right click and choose Convert > wav (your preset). This should convert all the files separately and save them to the place you have chosen as destination.

10. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Foobar can split CUE files to individual tracks. But CUETools does it better and can handle more CUE file format variations than Foobar can. You may have a CUE file format that Foobar doesn't like. CUETools will likely handle it and can convert it to a format that Foobar can deal with.

You can get CUETools here: http://www.cuetools.net/
    It's a free program.

11. dartira

dartira rise and shine like a far out superstar

Anyone mention CUETools yet?

12. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I've been using xrecode for various file conversions and generating separate tracks but I think I will try cuetools.

13. Jdam

Jdam New Member

One thing that happens when encountering flac files is the creator of the file embeds the .cue sheet to point to the original .wav before the conversion was made. Here's how to fix:
    1. Tell your computer to show file extentions (when you can see .jpg, .cue, .flac at the end of a file name).
    2. Copy your .cue file and set it in a separate folder (in case you mess up the first time; they are usually under 3kb).
    3. Change your .cue file extention to .log and ok the computer warning.
    4. Open .log file and it is simply a text word-pad type file in contents. DO NOT touch the track grouping in the center with times and numbers.
    5. Look at the very top (usually) or very bottom of the log sheet. There should be a command line telling it to point to a file address. The address will be pointing to a .wav file, which isnt there.
    6. Change the .wav to .flac SAVE CHANGE before exiting and then exit the file. Finally, change the .log back to .cue and accept the change. Open .cue with whatever player you use. Foobar2000 is my choice.
    7. (Optional) Your files should be listed and separated in the Foobar2000 menu. Highlight all, right click and go to "convert to-". Convert to separate .flac files and save in either new or same folder.

My choice to split my flac files up: if your file becomes unreadable due to unforeseen circumstances, you lose your whole album with one big file. If they are smaller and more manageable, you only lose one song, if any.

14. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Medival Cue Splitter will split the file to individual tracks then use EAC or Easy CD-DA Extractor to convert from .wv to .flac

15. Goratrix

Goratrix Well-Known Member

Medieval Splitter destroys parts of the original audio stream by removing gaps (sections of tracks between INDEX00 and INDEX01 markers). Nobody should be using this piece of s*** software.

16. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Hmmmm this p.o.s software as you call it hasn't destroyed any of my audio files that I've used it on....I hear zero difference on playback of the original file to the split files.

17. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

You'd only potentially hear a problem or a difference if the CD had gapless tracks where one track flows to the next with no break in the music (like Dark Side of the Moon). If the tracks on the CD have silence between tracks then it probably won't be an audible or noticeable problem since what would be lost would be a little bit of silence either before or after the track.

Still not a good idea to use Medieval. There's better tools available. I'd recommend using either CUETools or Foobar.

However, I have used Medieval on some gapless CDs that have index marks identifying points within songs. Old CDs sometimes did index marks like that. Like ELP "Brain Salad Surgery", Rush "2112", and some classical CDs. Medieval is able to split at those index points. I wanted to split those CDs at those index points. So I experimented with Medieval. It worked OK. I haven't heard any audible problems with the gapless transitions that I've split that way. But I still don't trust anything split that way and always listen to the rip afterwards to make sure there is nothing obviously messed up at any track transitions. And I keep a version of the rip that hasn't been split by Medieval just in case I identify a problem later that was caused by Medieval. I also don't use Medieval to do the actual splitting of the files. I just use it to generate a new CUE with the new index points. Then use CUETools to do the actual splitting to separate FLAC files for each track. If I used Medieval to do the actual splitting I'd probably have problems at some of the gapless transitions.

18. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Good point...never used it to split a single file that had one track running into another so that would explain why I never heard any "loss"

19. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

JRiver also can recognize Cue files or wavepack, it will split them apart. if so desired. to your preferred lossless codec.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.