Can stacking a receiver on top of a CD player cause scratching on CDs?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Waspinators, Oct 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Has this CD been played on any other player?

2. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Ive noticed that if i have odd socks on, my record player skips...

3. Waspinators

Waspinators Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yep, there actually was an audible scraping noise for a bit as the track stuck, stopping when the player gave up and the CD ended.

First time playing the CD. Wish I would’ve checked it out beforehand, but being an unplayed CD I didn’t think to look twice.

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I don't see how that is physically possible unless the CD player mechanism had been damaged at some point.

5. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I keep mine on my turntable.

6. Most likely this CD was scratched in PC drive being ripped. Any chance of that? At 78 min at the end, the data area is at the very edge vs. most CDs and this is where the trays touch the CD if it does not stop spinning before ejecting.

As the Fringe pointed out, a dished/warped disc could also do this with the tray, not necessarily the laser. If the laser hit the disc, it would not play anything well after that. If that is the case, the disc is no good, and a new one is in order.

patient_ot likes this.
  7. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

Sounds more like a slightly bent CD. The outer edge then makes contact with the lens right at the end of the disc and makes those circular scratches.

It's the disc. Not the receiver.

patient_ot likes this.
  8. Carl Swanson

I ask because in my experience, that type of damage is almost always caused by some other part of the mechanism. I've never heard of the laser assembly making contact with the disc.

9. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

It does happen. You'll see it on cds and dvds. Especially when ripped on a laptop.
    Those concentric scratches are the giveaway.

10. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Put the CD on a flat surface, like a granite countertop. Push down in the center, does it give? Turn the CD over and repeat. This will tell you if it's bowed. Try it with a known-good CD also, to verify the surface really is flat.

patient_ot likes this.
  11. Staxus

Staxus Hyperactive!

Do you own a dog or cat ?
    :hide:

12. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Use a rack or side by side - problem solved. :righton:

13. Carl Swanson

I've seen plenty of concentric scratches, and what they give away to me is that it was probably played in a car player (slot loader) with some kind of dust or grit in it.

In over 33 years, it's never happened to me with a CD I only played in the house, which is why I started using only CD-R copies in my truck, until the CD player stopped functioning.

14. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

One of the box sets from the last year or two? There have definitely been some quality control problems with some of those discs. In particular the '73-'74 Pacific Northwest box from last year. I myself sent back 4 discs for replacement because they were scratched. Lots of reports in the thread for that box set.

15. Waspinators

The Grateful Dead Movie Soundtrack set, I did buy it new this past year though. I have the PNW 3-disc set as well but have yet to play it, now ya got me scared to put it on!

Interestingly enough, I've come across a few posts with CD players having trouble tracking the very end of extra-long CDs (past 78 minutes). This particular skip occurs at the tail end of a 30+ minute track on a 78+ minute CD (the scratch is on the outer edge). Wonder how much that has to do with it? I'm going to check the CD for warping when I get home today.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  16. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Is it even possible to come across warped CDs these days?

17. Waspinators

First I've ever heard of them!

18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Not common but possible.

19. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

Not to change the subject, but how good is that Onkyo when it comes to playing vinyl?

20. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

Same here, if a cd is really loaded up to the. Max allowable minutes, the last song or so will skip , my yummy cds300 did this as did my Denon model I had, a pro model Denon.
    It’s not the disc player, it’s the cd from which I now know.
    Have since purchased a used McCormack UDP, AND am quite happy thus far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.