Can you imitate a famous singer?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Keane, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam Thread Starter

I'm told my imitation of Dean Martin is eerie. No, I can't sing as good as him but I can do his 'sound'. Can you do anybody?

2. Chippoh

Chippoh Senior Member

We were just discussing this at work a few days ago...

None of us are even "good" singers, but one guy can sound like Jim Morrison at times.

One guy can sound a little like McCartney when Paul "Whoo" 's just before the vocals on SPLHCB (Reprise).

And me...well I don't "sound" like anyone, but when I sing along with anything with a Ray Davies vocal on it, my voice blends right in...so, it seems, my pitch and vocal ability kinda matches his.

3. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

William Hung on a good day.

4. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I can do a pretty decent Johnny Mathis. Gene Pitney on a couple of songs. An exaggrated Elvis Costello. A little Dino. I do a good imitation of Phil Hartman's impression of Sinatra.

I haven't had the nerve to do DiNizio's voice in front of him... :D

5. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

Can do a fair Jack Bruce.

Also, when I was younger, I could do Johnny Winter's gutteral roar without any problem. Now I just choke, gag, and cough, if I try it.

6. rock76

rock76 Forum Resident

:laugh:

Gotta watch out for the new William Hungs on this season of AI. :righton:

7. scott palmiter

scott palmiter Senior Member

i never listened to guided by voices until someone told me that i sounded like robert pollard. of course i don't know if that is a GOOD thing. :D

8. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

My friends think i can do Sting better than Sting.
    I especially like to sing Sting to other artists to see what it would sound like if he did their songs.

The other person i can do extremely well is James Taylor. but thats not so much an impression as my natural singing voice.

this was an interesting topic!

I would add out there what famous singer do you guys wish you could imitate?

I wanna be bob dylan.

and im close, but no cookie.

9. polod

polod Member

Well, I just pinch my groin area and instantly, I can do Michael Jackson, even helps in hitting the high notes. Nothing like a little pinch here and there. :)

10. Peter D

Peter D Forum Resident

On a good day -- with optimal humidity and a well-rested voice -- I could probably do a decent imitation of rene smalldridge imitating William Hung. :)

A couple of months ago, while driving home from work, I was singing along with some Talking Heads song on the radio and I thought I had David Byrne's voice nailed. But when I got home and tried to re-create my imitation for my wife, she just laughed and asked me to stop frightening the children.

11. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Back in college when I was in my car playing Led Zep III (and making my friends crazy for playing it) I could sound like Plant on most of the songs. Even my friends mentioned it. I am 36 now so I don't know if I still got it.

inperson

12. Totti

Totti New Member

I can do Eminem good enough to make gays and blacks very angry :D

13. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I do a great Louis Armstrong ....What a Wonderful World
    Bob Dylan's Rainy Day Woman...I do a mean Joe Cocker's You Are So Beautiful.

Wierd thing is, I can mimic them, and John Lennon's voice on Norwegian Wood....but when I try to sing my own stuff I suck!

14. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

I do a MEAN Donald Duck. :p

15. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

When my kids were young, I use to be able to sing all most any BEATLES song with a BOB DYLAN style. They use to bring their friends over and have me sing Dylanesque/Beatles songs, it was fun.

16. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

No joke. I can sound exactly like Bobcat Goldwaith. Does that count??? :D

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'm working on my Axl Rose. I think I can approximate him in a cartoony way...

18. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

"I Don't Know Why, but I'm feeling so sad...",
    A really weird Billie Holiday. No joke.

19. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

Oh, I forgot to add that I can do a pretty good Ian Hunter. I can even approximate Hunter doing Dylan. :D

20. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I samg some backup on a demo for a firend one time. Upon hearing the playback, he turns to me and says "You sound just like Donald Fagen"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.