Canned Heat Woodstock

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spotlightkid, Apr 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maciej

Maciej Forum Resident

Forgive my intrusion but if I understood the bass and drum solos were not recorded at all.

2. ebro

ebro The Green Manalishi

Thank you for sharing this BRush!!! Now for the 50th anniversary in 2019 I wanna see Canned Heat's complete set released on CD!! :D

3. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Got to see them twice in Hawaii in 1972. They played the Civic Auditorium then Schofield Barracks Army Base within days. Let's see...Henry Vestine was one of the guitarists....and Howie Mandel or another ? Yeah man....you missed it ! :D

4. Maciej

Maciej Forum Resident

Me too

5. BRush

BRush Senior Member

No the Drums were fine. The only thing missing was the first 4 or 5 minutes of bass for "I'm Her Man".

Cannedheatfan and Maciej like this.
  6. Maciej

Maciej Forum Resident

Ok, we will wait for more exposed 50th anniversary DVDS

7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Isn't Goin Up the Country on the lp a studio version substituted for live

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

:biglaugh:

9. chicofishhead

chicofishhead Forum Resident

Looking close there is one shot from the side toward the end where Al doesn't have glasses on. But I don't think I would have ever noticed that if you hadn't pointed it out.

I've done a lot of that kind of editing, although it's nice that these days I'm usually editing from several angles. There was one time I didn't notice until a friend pointed it out that I had shots of a guy in Karl Denson's Tiny Universe both with and without his glasses in the same song.

10. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I saw a later incarnation of The Heat but missed seeing "Blind Owl" Wilson. Darn! Man, I loved that band. Still do.

11. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I saw the original Canned Heat twice. Once in the summer 1968 at the "Back Door" club in Ventura, CA. The other time was at Robertson Gym UCSB, Santa Barbara, CA, April 1969. I had seen several different incarnations of Canned Heat throughout the years, but the original lineup of Vestine, Hite, Taylor, Wilson and De La Parra were always my favorite.

footlooseman, jay.dee and Maciej like this.
  12. Cannedheatfan

Cannedheatfan New Member

Hi Bill, Im interested in knowing more about these Canned Heat footages [mod: member's email removed, please use the conversation mode to talk privately] thanks! take care.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2017
  13. Warren Hawk

Warren Hawk Forum Resident

I just wanted to say that I really appreciate what you did in helping to get all the unreleased performances on the 40th DVDs for us. I can't tell you how grateful I am. How much more footage is there??? Not just of Canned Heat but everyone? There's bound to be enough for another 3 hour outtake dvd!!!!! I want Incredible String Band, Quill, Bert Sommer, and Sweetwater please! I know for a fact a lot of it was filmed by the Wadleigh crew because I have really crappy looking outtakes of it on vhs. You think anything will happen for the 50th???

Again, I mainly just wanted to say thanks for your great work.

footlooseman, GerryO and Maciej like this.
  14. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

Wow, I had never seen that footage form Playboy after Dark.
    That's great stuff!

15. heyday2day

heyday2day Forum Resident

I've always been fascinated by Woodstock, which led me to grabbing all of the officially released video components. The Director's cut, the daily diary one, etc. I'll have to go pull all of the different titles to recall who I saw on what release, but the one that had this Canned Heat performance on it (as well as "Keep On Chooglin' by CCR, "Jennifer" by Bert Somner, some of The Band's set, etc) made a pretty big impression on me. I'd never been a Canned Heat, The Band fan, didn't know much about Bert Somner and I was kind of lukewarm towards CCR (at that time, I felt that most of their stuff sounded the same). Seeing "Woodstock Boogie" by Canned Heat, "Jennifer" by Bert Somner, "Keep On Chooglin' by CCR, etc completely changed my perspective and led me toward investigating, buying and enjoying music that I'd never been inclined to investigate before.

This was an awesome jam-performance (it's been released on the Rhino "Woodstock - 40 Years On" 6 disc box set) and was directly responsible for me going out and hunting down Canned Heat's first 4 releases.

budwhite and Zoot Marimba like this.
  16. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Without a doubt Canned Heat was one of the best bands at Woodstock, a highlight of the film (I have the 40th Anniversary blu ray), and they were electric, and I love The Mike just rocking out to the music, he was easily my favorite member in that performance)

Warren Hawk likes this.
  17. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

We know a couple (originally from New York) who were at Woodstock. He said one thing he remembered was it being pretty laid back but when Canned Heat came, on a lot of people got to their feet and the crowd got roused up. Got their blood going.

Maciej and Warren Hawk like this.
  18. Warren Hawk

Everyone I talk to that actually went to Woodstock can't remember anything. In fact they usually remember things quite differently than what's documented and even seen on video. No doubt the couple you know remember correctly!!! Just listen to the crowd after their last two numbers (Woodstock Boogie and On The Road Again). Probably the biggest crowd reaction at Woodstock, maybe with the exception of Sly. Great stuff.

19. janschfan

janschfan Senior Member

I saw the Heat on Memorial Day, 1970 at the Kickapoo Creek festival outside of Heyworth, Illinois. Mandel had recently left, replaced by a returning Henry Vestine. Larry Taylor was gone, unfortunately, replaced by Tony de la Barreda. It was wonderful hearing Alan Wilson. Festival-goers also had the rare opportunity to see Canned Heat skinny dipping in the creek, before their set.. That's a mental memory that's unerasable....Alan Wilson passed about three months after that, I believe. While typing this, it occured to me that I don't remember Alan playing any harmonica, only guitar..Of course, that was almost 48 years ago.....

heyday2day and Warren Hawk like this.
  20. Warren Hawk

Wish I'd have been around to see them in their prime. I had no idea that Larry had left the band before Alan died. It couldn't have been very long before as I have a show from may 1970 with Larry and Alan....and I think Harvey was still there as I also thought Harvey and Larry left together to work with Mayall.

21. spotlightkid

spotlightkid Senior Member Thread Starter

Every time I see this video I ALWAYS regret not every seeing Canned Heat live with the original lineup.

ebro likes this.
  22. Maciej

Maciej Forum Resident

23. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

The West Coast had Canned Heat

The East Coast had Paul Butterfield

Right down the middle we had em both

Maciej likes this.
  24. Warren Hawk

Maybe one day we will see video footage of Me and My Baby or whatever that song is called before Woodstock Boogie. I so wish there was the complete filmed version of that but I'm happy there's at least 8 minutes of it! Wonder what, if anything, lies ahead for the Woodstock 50th????

Maciej likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.