Can't separate the actor/actress from one specific character

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Say It Right, Jan 15, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

It seems every other movie he's in is a variation of that role.

cleandan and Cryptical17 like this.
  2. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

KAREN!

3. Ray Liota may be a better example of typcasting than a specific character we most associate with a certain actor.

4. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I thought about it at that at the time. He did appear to be speaking in his normal voice. Don't know?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
  5. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

He's forever the "hamburger man."

Danny Coffin likes this.
  6. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

He also played the father of Oswald Cobblepot (The Penguin) in Batman Returns. Also, my understanding is that he also appeared as Cobblepot's Father in the TV series Gotham.

Hamill eventually broke free of typecasting via voice acting. For me, I think of him first as the voice of The Joker in Batman - The Animated Series than as Luke Skywalker. His voice work in that role has made him The Joker.

Mickey Dolenz almost got the role of Fonzie on Happy Days. He lost out of the role because was significantly taller than Ron Howard and Anson Williams.

For her, the role I always associate with Sarah Michelle Gellar more than Buffy is Kendall Hart (the daughter of Erica Kane) on the soap opera All My Children. If I remember correctly, she became a character so hated by the citizens of Pine Valley that she had to leave town before someone could kill her.

On television, Brent Spiner has become more typecast as the Soong Family. Not only did he play Data on Star Trek: The Next Generation but also Lore and Dr. Soong (Data and Lore's creator). He also played Arik Soong on Star Trek: Enterprise, and Alton Indigo Soong in Star Trek: Picard.

Spiner has moved on to voice work. He voiced The Joker on Young Justice (giving the role a creepy turn compared to Hamill's), and Puck on Gargoyles. BTW, Gargoyles has become a place where many members of the Star Trek cast have appeared, often playing roles far different then their role on Star Trek (such Jonathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis playing villians).

I remember reading somewhere that Atkinson has retired as Mr. Bean because he felt the character should remain ageless. It was the same reason that Brent Spiner had Data killed off in Star Trek - Nemesis, he felt he was getting too old to play an ageless android.

7. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired Thread Starter

We're getting into "role most known for" more than "can't separate the actress from the character. Sarah Michelle Gellar did have a fairly big part in "I Know What You Did Last Summer" after Buffy. So, wouldn't put her in this category, myself, but this isn't worth debating.

JediJones likes this.
  8. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

I think u hit a good point. One actor who was always himself was John Wayne. Of you had the misfortune to see Conquistador, you woukd see Wayne as ancient warrior. Problem I expected him to pull out a 6 gun and fire away.

That said, I think JW was a very good/great actor. It seemed to me. in only a few movies was he stretched. IE, "The Searchers" an old west movie but in it he plays a dark character. Another one is, "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" He was the tough cowboy who was so stubborn he lost everything. Still, both cowboys.

Humphrey Bogart an actor from that same error had much more range. Still, his main image was a tough but good thug.

9. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

How about Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry? I think he carries that baggage with him everywhere he goes, and his roles work best playing off of some variation of that persona.

Sly Stallone is kind of a twofer. You can see him either as Rocky or Rambo, but he seems miscast in anything else.

10. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired Thread Starter

Clint? No way! Already dealt with:

11. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Despite everything he's done (even if I haven't seen most of it), and I acknowledge that some of it is very good, I can't watch Robin Williams, especially in a serious role, without half-expecting him to suddenly break into Mork's 'Ar! Ar!' laugh.

JediJones likes this.
  12. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

Ed O’Neill will always be Al Bundy

Khorn, jawaka1000, Juan Matus and 2 others like this.
  13. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

Yes, but he was a very good actor. I remember him as a photo shop person for a big department store. He was really creepy. And as the robot in the Sci fi pic, "The Bicentennial Man"(?) Or a man who kept memories(?) in another Sci Fi movie.

14. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Or that movie where he played the guy who did that thing.

JediJones likes this.
  15. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I don’t know if it has been mentioned already: David Suchet as Poirot.

mmars982 and Raf like this.
  16. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I saw that movie. The scene where that thing happened was good.

JediJones likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That's essentially true - he's pretty much always the snarky "Ryan Reynolds Character".

He deviates a little for "Free Guy" - he's still kinda "Ryan Reynolds" but the Guy part is more of an innocent and less sarcastic...

18. Oatsdad

Danson was also a star of 1987's "3 Men and a Baby", the year's biggest hit!

And wasn't "The Good Place" pretty successful?

19. Oatsdad

Gonna disagree there. I hadn't seen "Night Shift" in almost 40 years, but I watched the new Blu-ray a few weeks back... and she's essentially "Diane Chambers As a Hooker".

She's the prissiest NYC street prostitute in history! :D

Though "Night Shift" was slightly before "Cheers", she still has that same kind of tone. Not a "wild woman"! :)

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. Oatsdad

I didn't even know where he played "Andy Brown" - had to look it up!

Williams never became the star it felt like he would turn into 40 years ago, but he had a good career.

Not someone I'd think got locked into one role...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. Oatsdad

Nah - he's dentist Tim Whatley 4-eva! :D

22. Oatsdad

"Troop Beverly Hills" seems to be one of those 80s movies that underperformed at the box office but kids found on cable/video and embraced.

It flopped in 1989 - 91st at the year's US box office! - but seems to have a good cult/nostalgia following...

Say It Right and SandAndGlass like this.
  23. Oatsdad

I knew Michael Richards from the "Fridays" TV show well before "Seinfeld"!

Also knew Alexander from "Pretty Woman", but that was essentially concurrent with the start of "Seinfeld"...

24. Oatsdad

A lot of weird choices here.

Anthony Hopkins?
    Robert De Niro?
    Sean Penn?

:wtf:

Say It Right and Raf like this.
  25. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

[​IMG]

The guy that plays Ernest in all those Ernest movies. I didn't even know his name and had to look it up. I assume he has done other work but I can't separate that guy from that one role.

Say It Right and SandAndGlass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.