Capitol Albums Volume 1, Are you going to buy it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

2. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

No.

I may someday buy a Beatle Box set, if it has a good selection of career-spanning hits and flips and album cuts, with 60 + minutes per disk.

And if that never happens, I won't cry anyway.

3. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I am very much on the fence here, and it may come down to the sound reviews to knock me one way or the other.

4. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

No way. With Peter Mew almost certain to work his sonic "magic" on these things, I'm sure they will be unlistenable even for those people who actually like the Dexterized stuff...and Yours Truly is most emphatically not one of those people.

I'm sure I can think of several hundred things I'd rather spend my hard-earned money on than this exercise in solipsistic, thumb-sucking Boomer nostalgia and crass Apple-tunism.

But if this floats your boat, buy all means buy and enjoy. ;)

You know what I wouldn't mind seeing? A CD version of the Beatles Box that EMI's World Music division put out in the early '80s, which had all of the major hits and several hard-to-find alternate mixes ("Penny Lane" with the extra trumpet, "And I Love Her" with the closing riff repeated six times instead of the usual four, etc.).

Or how about a box containing the UK mono mixes of Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper and the White Album? *That* I'd gladly shell out for.

5. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

What I'm really wondering is that when and if they get around to vol. 2 or 3, will Yesterday And Today have it's original "butcher cover" artwork or the "sanitized" version that became the more commonly known version??

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

..and their CHILDREN!:laugh:

7. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Maybe Volume 2.........

8. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

I'll probably get it as I've been wanting a reissue of the Capitol lps on cd for historical rep reasons. I do find the endless speculation somewhat of a bore tho. Sometimes I think some people get too hung up on the fabs and should broaden their tastes a bit more. There was a TON of great music IN THE 60s ALONE and if time was well spent searching out the hidden diamonds, there wouldn't be as much of a need to worry about every reverb glitch or echo boost on each track the fabs ever recorded.

9. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I'm still not entirely convinced that this won't be nixed at the last minute. However, if it comes out, I'll probably get it for Christmas.

Gee, that was pretty smart of Capitol to release it so close to Christmas, eh?

10. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I'm always looking for more "hidden diamonds" from the 60s. Why not start a thread alerting us to a few? :)

11. Michael

I own tons of it! Originally, the LP's/45's in the 60's and later, on Compact Disc's, be it legit or boot! Oh yea, one thing, 90% of them started AFTER they heard the BEATLES!!!!

Them Beatles, they we're sure an influence...:)

12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Like most rabid fans, I will need something to complain about when I am done whining about the Star Wars DVDs that I had wanted for so long, and this should fit the bill nicely.

Regards,

13. Michael

...been that way since the beginning, I have fond Christmas memories, namely, The WHITE ALBUM...and we got to pay an extra DOLLAR to boot!

14. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Of course! I do have a reputation to uphold, ya know! What kind of Jimbo would I be if I didn't buy one of these??? :angel:

15. Dawson

Dawson New Member

Have to say no, won't buy. Not that I wouldn't enjoy it....not that it wouldn't look good on the shelf....not that its too expensive....not that its a question of sound quality. Guess its just that it wouldn't get played all that much. Once or twice to go "yeah"...then back on the shelf. Oh well!

Best!

16. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

One reason I can justify my dalliances in unofficial product is that I always support the official product. Within reason, that is.. (I skipped that silly WA reissue). Yeah I'll buy it, go ooh and aah for a few days then throw it on the shelf with the rest of my boxed sets. But I'm fulfilling my obligation (to myself) to "pay my dues".

I still hold out hope for a revelation, and hope for the best sounding commercially available Beatles CD to date.

17. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Of Course. No matter what tapes they use.

18. Absolutely.

19. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Definitely maybe...a fitting answer for those who understand....

:ed:

20. JohnnyH

JohnnyH Senior Member

The Beatles Box proliferates as a 5-CD bootleg set on Ebay - anyone bought it and if so, how's quality??

21. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

Yes, assuming forum folk do not find the sound horribly objectionable...

22. CHARLOOTZ

CHARLOOTZ New Member

Hasn't it been established that Ted Jensen at Sterling Sound is doing the mastering, not Peter Mew at Abbey road? Anyway, I'm already in on the Red Trumpet deal....

23. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

****, I buy everything. That's why they sell it.
    I'm sure they'll sell a couple of million sets. (likie ANTHOLOGY and #1)

Course, I'll probably try to get it for about $40. (I can wait for those used discs to start rolling back in after Christmas) :agree:

24. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Yes.

The Beatles Second Album was the first album I ever bought (still have it). I liken my reaction to hearing it again after these many years to that of a Pavlovian dog - I break into a grin and my foot starts tapping.

Even knowing about all that echo/reverb doesn't stop my enjoyment of the music - and for me, enjoying the music I am listening to is what it's all about.

25. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Since I "inspired" the poll (Thanks Michael), I have to say YES! Of course, it's the Beatles. Heck, I bought LIBN. This has GOT to be better than LIBN, at least the songs will be. :D

I can sit in the car on the way to work, turn off my mind and float back to 1965 as see what comes up!

In 1965, I did not care WHAT anything sounded like. I think I used to turn both the bass and the treble to the max anyway................................ :eek: :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.