Captain Marvel Movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by shokhead, Jun 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Not initially, no. There have been cases where a movie premiered, then the director decided to make changes prior to a wide release (famously, what happened with Kubrick on 2001). It's too early to say whether Avengers: Endgame will stay that length or will get cut down in the next six months. Home video has changed a lot of things to the point where the studio can order the director to get the film under (say) 2:20, but then allow them to expand the film back to 3 hours for the later DVD/Blu-ray/Streaming release.

There have also been re-releases where the studio deliberately changed the film. Close Encounters: The Special Edition was a good example back in 1980, and that worked very well. Very recently, they did that with Once Upon a Deadpool, cutting down the R-rated Deadpool 2 into a PG-13 kid-friendly film, which I think is a very funny idea. Given that Deadpool made $683 million and Deadpool 2 made $734 million, I would bet Marvel won't want to water that formula down to PG-13 as a permanent thing.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  2. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Have you seen any of her movies? She is a pretty good actress to me. Actually I felt the opposite when I saw the trailer, but maybe I am just prejudice by my experience with her work.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  3. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

:cry:

4. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Thanks to the recent trailer, my movie watching meter went from "Pass" to "Mildly Interested"

5. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Looking at her IMDB page I've seen 4 movies she was in; Kong Skull Island, Trainwreck, Don Jon, and 21 Jump Street. 21 Jump Street is the only one of those movies that I liked but I don't remember her in any of them.

I'm willing to believe she's a skilled actress but in these trailers she doesn't grab my eye like a 'star' does.

genesim likes this.
  6. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

No biggie. I saw the Spectacular Now and was impressed...however from what I read both of us need to see The Room.

Trailers are often not the whole story especially with Marvel. I hope it is good because she shows promise to me.

..btw I thought she was good in Don Jon too. Loved that movie.

7. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Room is wonderful! She nabbed the Best Actress Oscar for that performance and deservedly so.

Chris DeVoe, Aggie87 and genesim like this.
  8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

She's not as sexy as Wonder Woman. Saying that I'll no doubt see the film on the big screen.

9. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I am betting that this movie will outsell Wonder Woman and it will be one more case of Marvel whooping the ass of D.C. and them sitting around wondering what happened.

Though Wonder Woman in the 80's intrigues me very much, this will be a very cool face-off.

10. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

As a huge comic fan in the 70's, and of the current MCU movies, these trailers don't really get my juices flowing. The main character's CGI sequences are too cartoon drawing-ish, imo. I don't get the mohawk thing either. Is this another 80's homage (Mr. T, Top Gun) I detected in the trailer?

alexpop likes this.
  11. alexpop

Sixties Marvel comics : Nick Fury Agent Of S.H.I.E.L.D. looked was more exciting. Than "today's " CGI movie extravaganzas.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  12. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

There were two cuts of The Shining out at the same time in the US and Europe. The US version is longer and was released a bit before the Europe version. I believe Kubrick reacted to some negative reviews and cut the film for the European release. 25 minutes were cut.

And Kubrick resisted any attempt to produce a standard version, saying the US had their version and Europe had their version.

Quadboy likes this.
  13. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

I saw the Chicago premier of CEotTK and a few months later took a friend to see it while in Oahu. It definitely seemed to be two different cuts. Heady times so who knows?

14. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

A little better, Samuel looks....different.

15. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

She reminds me of Cybill Shepherd.

16. alexpop

The Last Picture Show

17. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Oh yeah. Dis gon' be good.

I wonder how much of Ronan we'll see.

18. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

How do you not remember her in Kong: Skull Island? She was, aside from Kong, the star of that movie!

19. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Funny thing is, I've seen Skull Island, and I don't remember her either!

20. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Beware - she wasn't in The Room, she was in Room. Two very different movies!!

If you're looking for another good Brie movie, I highly recommend Short Term 12. Also features Rami Malek (of Bohemian Rhapsody fame), and Lakeith Stanfield (Get Out, Sorry to Bother You, "Atlanta").

cartoonist likes this.
  21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I’m giving this a hard “pass”.

22. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I grew up on Marvel comics, mid 60's through the end of the 80's. To see all these characters come to life as giganto-budget films and in most cases live up and even exceeding the comic's potential the past decade plus has been pretty amazing. That said, this is the first Marvel/Disney movie that leaves me with a "meh" feeling from the preview.

23. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

She was loads of fun in Scott Pilgrim Versus the World.

24. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

and . . .

[​IMG]

25. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.