Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink - Deluxe Edition remixed by Steven Wilson

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LivingForever, Apr 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic Thread Starter

From Steven Wilson's Facebook page:

Sounds promising!

2. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Looking forward to this set. After what he did with the 5.1 of In the Court of teh Crimson King, and Lizard by KC this is going to be good

3. arnaoutchot

arnaoutchot Forum Resident

So what is the "very famous 70's progressive album" then ? Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here ? :D

4. LivingForever

Ha! Could be... Although somehow I don't see them letting any of their albums out of the hands of their trusted crew.

How about some Yes? It's been a few years since the last set of remasters - I'd love to hear what SW could do with a surround mix of 'Close to the Edge'!

5. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Maybe it's Yessongs, since that one didn't come out with the Rhino reissues!

6. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

I personally thought the 2001 remaster sounded absolutely fine, but anything that gets closer still to the sound of the rather superb Decca vinyl has to be worth a listen!

- John

7. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

Last week steven came into the record store i work in tel aviv and i had a chat with him, he told me what's the "classic progressive rock album" he's working on, it's sure to thrill a lot of people here :D

8. j_sunne

j_sunne Forum Resident

I liked that series of releases. Finally getting a listenable stereo first album was great.

I'm curious about the surround mix, but my setup is really geared for 2 channel listening.

9. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

So if he's telling people, it's not secret. What is it?

10. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

Aggie, maybe he doesn't think a record store clerk from tel aviv can cause damage :D
    I'll PM you the answer.

11. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I wish you guys would stop posting stuff like this. My checkbook is starting to quiver. :laugh:

12. LivingForever

I'd love to know that too! :)

13. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

If they start "deluxing" all my favorite prog albums, this will be great. Of course, my wife won't see it that way.

I mean, KC, Caravan and that mystery album. If they're anything like the work he's done with KC, then we're in for a treat! :wave:

Of course, just got the SHM-SACD, which I think is excellent in itself. Hopefully, they'll be tons of extra material!

14. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

Me too, PM Please

15. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

can you pm me this info too?
    :)

16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I don't own this album, and probably don't want my first copy to be a "remix." For the original mix, is the first press West German or UK CD good, or should I just buy the SHM-SACD?

17. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

ehm...another shameless pm request. thanks :)

18. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

I like the SHM-SACD, but if you've never heard the album, forking out fifty bucks for it might not make a lot of sense.

The original Deram CD mastered by Anthony Hawkins is very good. Still easy to find and probably set you back about 5-10 bucks. Paschal Byrne's 2001 remaster was decent, too, but is generally not as well liked here as the original, iirc.

19. chaz

chaz Senior Member

Me too, PM Please. Much appreciated :wave:

20. LivingForever

Ok, I know I started it, but how about we keep this thread to talking about the Caravan album and not begging poor Doctorwu for info?

:D

So, I wonder what the bonus material will be? I hope at the very least they include a sympathetic transfer of the original mix.

21. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

That would be good for starters. I would not mind hearing a couple demos. :cheers:

22. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

My copy has shipped! :goodie:

Has anyway heard this yet?

23. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

Let us know what you think. Do you by chance have the SHM-SACD to compare?

24. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

The only copy i've had is the Deram remaster. I haven't listened to the disc one of the Deluxe Edition, but i assume it's the same one, remastered by Paschal Byrne. Most of disc 2 (out-takes and BBC material) have been released previously, but it's nice to have them all in one package. The liner notes are the same as before by Mark Powell.

I gave Steve Wilson's 5.1. mix a spin today, and i love it. It's similiar in approach compared to Wilson's work on Crimson catalogue, with front and rear speakers in active use.

Oh, the Beat Club videos are nice too!

25. Doug Rogers

Doug Rogers Forum Resident

No it's "Aqualung", Steven announced it on his Facebook page a week ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.