Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink - Deluxe Edition remixed by Steven Wilson

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LivingForever, Apr 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

I try to keep computers and mathematics out of my system. I love the sound of the 5.1. Are you people trying to tell me that I shouldn't be enjoying it?

2. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Not at all.

3. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

In case you haven't realised your DVD player is a "single task" computer so if you are not keeping computers out of your system.

4. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The 5.1 is amazing, but imagine it would sound even better in DTS or uncompressed PCM...

I still feel the Dolby stereo remix track is pretty useless. The remix is very close to the original mix, it adds clarity, but its purpose is defeated by the Dolby compression. I don't understand why the record company didn't include a 24/48 uncompressed track. It fits on the DVD, is playable everywhere, doesn't costs more (plus you don't have to pay a Dolby licence) and sounds better. What gives?

5. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Incompetence. They probably commissioned the DVD authoring to a company that does film DVDs and they applied the standard process and no-one even noticed.

6. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

I'm sure that any of the chips in the system can be seen as processors much in the same way as a CPU (I work on mainframes!!!) - it's the likes of NAS drives, PCs and laptops that I am keeping out until the end... :)

7. drSeehas

drSeehas Forum Resident

... and uncompressed multichannel 48 kHz PCM.
    Not quite true.
    Possible on DVD-Video is also uncompressed multichannel 48 kHz PCM.

8. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Just got this today and it's fantastic. Absolute ace surround and remix work by Mr. Wilson, and another obscure gem from the past given new life - never heard it before now and needless to say I'm going to seek out some more Caravan!

9. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic Thread Starter

I bought this in November but have only just got round to giving the 5.1 mix a spin. Absolutely amazing.

10. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

is disc one of the deluxe edition the same master as the 2001 release?

11. No...it is different with a different track list.

12. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

ah ha! is it the steve wilson remix? what's the consensus on the stereo master? is it best to go with this deluxe edition or the 2001?

13. Disk 1 is the original mix plus bonus tracks with 3 bonus tracks, including a new mix of Nine Feet Underground by SW.

Disk 2 outtakes and BBC tracks

Disk 3 Original tracks (and 'Frozen Rose') 5.1 version plus SW's new stereo remix plus two videos (Golf Girl and Winter Wine Beat Club performance)

This Deluxe edition trounces the remaster IMO, except that SW's mix of Aristocracy edits the length by almost a minute.

14. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

okay great! thanks for the info.

I have the remaster, so I guess I will have to upgrade to the deluxe.

15. CCRider

CCRider Forum Resident

...and adds handclaps at the "tchoo-roo-roo" chorus which, IIRC, are not present on the earlier edition.

16. Jane Scranton

Jane Scranton Forum Resident

I appreciate your conscientiousness to the detail from the original Tapes and the quest for a better playback whilst keeping the integrity of the sonic originals. I wish you were the man who remastered Trespass,Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot and the remaining other Gabriel-Era Genesis Tapes. I have noticed some compromises from 2013 Remix differences comparing the original[even alternate vocal takes and placement in the sound-stage during these new remix/mastering. 'Supper's Ready',for instance..was re-treated unfairly in many instances- that grand morphing of Mono/Stereo effect in the last minute before fade-out was changed, compromised to a cheap imitation effect[but yet there was more music included during fade-out which was not on most vinyls since 1972. ..I think it would be keen to hear what you would have done to improve these classic early Genesis albums with your gifts~~~
    One more quick thought..have you heard Kevin Gilbert's The Shaming Of The True ? If not,..maybe you can give it a listen Take care .

17. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Sadly, I don't think Mr. Wilson posts here anymore. I imagine that he has his hands full with the remixing for Yes, Jethro Tull and Xtc, not to mention his own music. I think we all wish that a better job had been done with the Genesis remix/remastering, but I'd be rather surprised if they commissioned Wilson for another round of remixes at this point.

18. Jane Scranton

Jane Scranton Forum Resident

Yeah I think you're right about that.I kind of suspected that possibility even as I was writing it yesterday.Perhaps there may be some other Engineer who could accomplish the task of these Genesis LP remix/remastering in such a way other than what has been accomplished without really changing the original recording.

On the plus side,the lead vocal tracks on the 2013's [and possibly other Remasters before this one ] one can hear some clearer vocals which are quite nice and surprising,...even certain instrumental parts are nicely done! But when the original effects on the lead vocals and panning changes on some songs ,seem to me to be compromised by an attempted improvement !

If it's not broken, then why fix it?..as the adage states.:shtiphat:

19. Loz

Loz Forum Resident

This release sounds amazing but does anyone else get distortion from the trombone on the opener? it hurts my ears using headphones

20. Rapid Fire

Rapid Fire Hyperactive!

I just placed my order on Amazon for this Deluxe Edition. Can't wait to hear it.

21. kevin

kevin Senior Member

I have this set but still haven't gotten around to listening to the 5.1 mix[too many other 5.1 mixes to listen to and too little time].

22. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

This really needs to be released as a HFPA Blu ray with the 5.1 mix as well as originals.

The DVD is good and one of the better Dullby Digital sounding discs but its still Dullby and not Hi Rez

23. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic Thread Starter

I have no recollection of writing this, but looks like I got my wish!

Tyler Chastain and Plan9 like this.
  24. kevin

kevin Senior Member

Your wish has definitely been granted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.