Carbon Fiber Vinyl Brushes

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dave Haladay, May 26, 2022.

1. Dave Haladay

Dave Haladay Forum Resident Thread Starter

I would like some opinions on the best carbon fiber record brush to buy. Also, I've read that some people don't like them because their brushes shed bristles.

2. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

I've owned a few different ones over 40 years, and they were more alike than different. My current one is the Audioquest, but there are likely cheaper ones that are basically the same.

theflattire and Adam9 like this.
  3. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

4. thebisch

thebisch Forum Resident

I prefer the Audio Technica brush.

WDeranged likes this.
  5. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

I have three (an Ortofon and two Boundless).

Before each use, I clean the bristles by knocking them with an old credit card, then mist the bristles with two pumps of distilled water from a decent atomizer. I hold the brush about 8-12 inches from the atomizer, most of the water misses the brush but enough hits the bristles to provide just enough moisture to help the brush hold onto whatever it encounters on the record.

I hold the moistened brush to the record for about 1.5 spins, then lift it straight up (no sweeping-in or sweeping-out), then drop the needle.

By the time a side is over, the brush is dry and ready to be used again. So I can knock the bristles with the old credit card again (don't do this immediately over your turntable), apply moisture (two more pumps), then clean the side I just played before flipping the album. Yes, I brush before and after playing. I believe after-playing is actually more critical, you're going to get anything the stylus dug out of the groove, you don't want to give that stuff a chance to scratch the record while re-sleeving.

The astute reader will see that I'm now ready to flip the album and play the 2nd side, but that my brush is moist and dirty and not ready for use again. That is why I have three of them. I grab the next one, moisten it, and clean the 2nd side before playing.

In fact, for 99% of my use, two brushes is sufficient. The third brush comes in handy when I'm opening new and new-t0-me vinyl. The very first time I brush each side before play, I get a tremendous amount of crud off the record. TREMENDOUS. So often times I need to brush a side THREE TIMES (use all three brushes) before playing. This only happens the first time I clean an album, though.

In fact, you can see in the pic I've included the results of brushing just one side of a new-to-me Brubeck album. The brush on the left-hand side was used first, and it is pretty filthy. The middle brush was used next, still quite a bit, right? Finally I used the brush on the right (the Ortofon) and got a tiny bit more. I will say that the Ortofon bristles are a little less perfectly aligned, I think the Boundless work better, at least for how I use them.

[​IMG]

The Brubeck album was in good enough shape that it required no further attention, it plays mint, I couldn't be happier.

One other thing I'll note is that, besides helping the brush hold onto debris, the tiny bit of moisture kills static. So this is all I do for playing typical records, even during the extremely dry winters here (I'm in Wisconsin, forced air heat, no humidifier).

New-to-me records that have some sort of concrete in the groove from the previous owner's attempt to clean or whatever, get a different treatment, but the carbon fiber brushes are still very central to that technique.

ONE MORE THING, they can shed bristles, but if they're moistened, the brush will pick those up, too.

The thing is, these carbon fiber brushes are sorta marginal dry, at least that was my experience. Moisture is a game-changer, though.

luckyno13, Daddy Dom, ivor and 3 others like this.
  6. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

The original AudioQuest brush is as cheap as the knock-offs. No point taking risks on quality control if you aren't saving any money. I've had one of these for well over 20 years. It's never shed a bristle. I have 2 systems so I bought the newer gold handled brush which is supposed to actually remove static whereas the older design only claimed to not add static. If I have to be honest, I really haven't noticed any static removal. At least not to the level that a ZeroStat gun actually does.

Lowrider75 and plastico like this.
  7. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I have the Audioquest carbon fiber brush. They have two models with silver and gold metal trim bands. The model I have is the higher priced gold trimmed model. I have never seen it shed bristles. YMMV.

I am a bit of a stickler and I gave LPs up for 30 years due to pops and clicks taking me out of the moment. I am lucky in that my house has central air and a humidifier, so I have ideal humidity year round. When I bought my TT in 2018, the first thing I got was the AQ carbon fiber brush. Next was a Tru-Sweep record sweeping arm. That was followed by an ultrasonic cleaning machine and then a Sweet Vinyl Sugar Cube SC-2 Mini click and pop remover. The last device was a Furutech DeStat III static remover. Oh yes I also uses Mofi inner sleeves for any LPs which don't have anti static inner sleeves. Yes that is a bit obsessive, I'll admit. My reward is on a good high quality pressing or audiophile pressing I can have a click and pop free LP experience with black dead quiet backgrounds through speakers.

Back to the OPs question: I use and like the AQ carbon fiber brush. These days it typically only gets a very light workout with the UCM which leaves the record clean and dust and static free.

8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Most of them come from the same factories in China. They're all very cheaply made. There is no "best". You either get a "good" one from a "good" batch or you don't. I wouldn't endorse any specific brand name.

Just remember these things are for light dusting on cleaned records, not real cleaning.

9. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I would only use a very soft brush.

10. audiomaniac

audiomaniac Shamalamadingdong

I use a Hunt brush.

11. harby

harby Forum Resident

Yep, AudioQuest, ClearAudio, Pro-Ject...Crosley, they are all identical except for the sales pitch and the $14-$40 price.

The standout is Taiwan-made Audio Technica AT6013a, with velvet pad between the brushes.

I'd like to see if these actually improve a recording AT ALL. Seems a fancy way to push dust crackle deeper with tiny textile-grade pencil leads. Might simply keep lint from wrapping around the stylus.

[​IMG]

12. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Save your $$ and buy a Discwasher brush.

Carbon fiber as I found out is a load of crap for cleaning records

13. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

Hands down the Sleeve City Thunderon:

Sleeve City Thunderon Conductive Record Brush

I will never go back to standard carbon fiber brushes. I actually use it to brush off my stylus! It's that gentle. It is extremely forgiving. The brush part is super long and soft, and the grip is a soft plastic. It's idiot proof. It's also great to flick dust off the turntable. Basically a great all around brush.

P.S. I have no affiliation with them. I just bought the brush a few years ago and never looked back.

jgrillo and Phil Thien like this.
  14. Dave Haladay

Thank you for all the help.

15. Dave Haladay

I actually still have my original Discwasher brush from the '70s in like new condition. Also have larger bottle of D4 fluid and still works great.

sharedon likes this.
  16. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

I've yet to appreciate any bristle brush as they pertain to a quick pre-clean of an LP. I largely prefer the Audio Technica 6012 for quick lint/dust pick up.
    [​IMG]

FramboGND, thebisch and sharedon like this.
  17. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Record Cleaning Brush Scratching

Overrated and often misused, can damage vinyl and unnecessary if you have a proper cleaning system. Just get a rocket air blaster for large dust particles.

Phil Thien likes this.
  18. Henry J

Henry J If you get confused, listen to the music play

I can 2nd this!
    Won't go back to carbon after I bought this beauty.

matrix-6 likes this.
  19. Phil Thien

I have one. I have a lot of different brushes and pads.

When it comes to actually cleaning a record, the SC Thunderon hasn't worked great for me. I find it handy for dusting the platter, but marginal for getting anything off a record. The bristles are too large to reach into grooves I think as well.

matrix-6 likes this.
  20. Phil Thien

Some people do report scratching their vinyl with them. Others seem to have used them for years/decades with no discernible scratching.

I like the fact that the bristles are small enough to enter the groove, I think they're about the only cleaning tool we have that has half a chance of sweeping anything small enough to enter the groove.

21. Henry J

Henry J If you get confused, listen to the music play

Agreed. This brush is not really intended for cleaning, but neither is the carbon brush.
    Just Light duty work.
    The sleeve City brush also works better in the elimination of static.

matrix-6 likes this.
  22. Phil Thien

I haven't found anything that cleans half as effectively as a MicroRidge or MicroLine stylus. The trick is sweeping up the debris field it leaves, that is where the carbon fiber brush (moistened) excels.

All just my humble and admittedly unique position.

But if you use a flashlight to rake a just-played album in a dimly lit room, you'll see what I'm talking about, the top of the album will be littered with stuff that was in the groove.

Henry J likes this.
  23. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I feel theres not enough to convince me that dirt isnt pushed around or deeper down the groove rather than out.

If brushes never existed and just entered the market this year I wonder if it would be so easily accepted.

tryitfirst and Phil Thien like this.
  24. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

I have an Audioquest brush but these days use Thunderon more than anything else.

25. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

I use a goat hair brush. Carbon fibre is a good way of adding static to your LPs ( if you don't watch out)

matrix-6 likes this.