Carole King/TAPESTRY: Original mix SACD is wonderful!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 11, 2004.

1. I was a bit over the top. The CD has some tape hiss, not tons.

2. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

Before the SACD came out, what was the best place to get a good sounding TAPESTRY?

I have it on Ode's A NATURAL WOMAN compilation and it sounds great.

3. reidc

reidc Senior Member

I hope this doesn't turn into Couldn't Stand the Weather SACD prices! I've given up hope of finding that one for under $25!!!

Some of those early Sony's are truly getting harder and harder to find.

Chris

4. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

I also have the original SACD and the remaster. The remaster bests the Gold CD as well as earlier CD releases. On neither my home or car systems (check my profile) the hiss is insignificant. About average for a taped recording mastered without any NR.

The SACD sounds like an SACD should sound.

5. I have the same question as Mike T. The version I own is the second SACD (with remixed stereo and 5.1). This is the only version of Tapestry I've heard (so far, only the 5.1 mix), and I like it (got it as a freebie). John G. is saying both are essential...is it that the first issue is essential for 2 channel, and the second for 5.1? Is the remixed 2 channel so poor, and the first 2 channel so great as to warrant owning both?
    For the meantime, I'll just enjoy the 5.1 mix, and live in blissful ignorance to a possible superior 2 channel alternative.
    -David

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Those are the best sounding vinyl copies I've ever heard thus far, yes. Forget about the muddy, clouded A&M/ODE pressings. Can't stand em. Bernie cut them too... Sometimes I can't believe it was him.

7. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Perhaps I need to crack my copy open and hear what alla the hubub is about...

8. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

How much difference is there in the sound on the original Tapestry SACD vs. the one with the multichannel version on it? Both are still plentiful around here. I have just the multichannel one right now. Should I buy the other also?

9. Sckott

10. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Yes. I agree. Got the Legacy CD at BB for $9.99 and it does sound terrific....

11. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

How would you describe the differences, Sckott? Details, man, details!
    :D

12. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

I have, and it is a great sounding SACD

Picked it up when I first purchased my Sony SACD player. :wave:

13. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

I have the Stereo/Multi-ch SACD and only listen in Stereo. I think its a really good sounding disc. From what I gather, nobody so far has stated that the 2 channel original mix is any better sounding from an audio perspective but, its understandable that those who are used to listening to the original mix may be a bit put off by the re-mixing. Whatever...it's one example of great songwriting/performing and well worth getting either version.

14. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Technically, the re-mix is slightly "better" meaning it has better balances and mix choices, but the original mix is also very good... and it's the original mix so that's what I listen to.

I just made CD's of both SACD's and the differences are somewhat insignificant unless you've heard the original mixes for 30 years, which most of you have.

15. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Would you say the mastering in these two versions is of equal quality?

16. Sckott

Umm, yeah. But both have their interesting sound. Most people won't be able to tell the difference unless you're VERY familiar with all the songs.

But Gardo, if you CAN get the original mix disc, DO. I actually found two about 9 months ago, I had trouble selling ONE of them here on this forum. People can be hard to convince...!

17. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Forum Resident

I was searching Tower, and found that this collection has been is available as a "Japanese DSD digitally remastered re-release": http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=3022104

Anybody hear this, or think it's worth consideration given that the Anesini domestic version can be had for about half the price?

18. pjaizz

pjaizz Forum Resident

I haven't heard that version in your picture, but it is not the original issue. The first pressing has that white and silver Ode swirl. Maybe someone can scan it for us...

I think the stereo SACD is good, but I wouldn't go out of my way or pay a fortune for it. The added live tracks are really special though!

The best SACD I have heard so far is Mingus Ah Um...spectacular sound!!!

19. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

That '80s CBS Tapestry CD sounds dull, lifeless and very hissy. It was transferred from a very bad-sounding nth-generation dub of the master tape. (Flat transfer? Yes - but of a really crappy source tape.)

And at my local Best Buy, I found one copy of the stereo-only SACD - but two copies of the 5.1/stereo SACD. Strangely, the 5.1/stereo SACD was marked down to $14.99, but the stereo-only SACD was still priced at $16.99. I grabbed the stereo-only SACD before someone else would have grabbed it.

20. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

So Best Buy is indeed lowering the prices of those Sony single-layer SACDs.

21. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi Steve,

I have the original SACD of Tapestry at work (broadcast) and the new MC SACD at home. I took my disc to work and listened to the two and compared. Both are the original mix in Stereo. The M/C is remixed. Your comments about the sound are the same as my own. We at WUOT-FM were the first to broadcast SACD's on air in the southern USA.

EddieVanHalen likes this.
  22. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I thought.... the original master tape was used for the last remaster the very first time.... so what tapes they have used for the SACD transfer???

23. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Claus,

The original tapes are used for the SACD too. The 2-track mix is original. The multichannel mix is re-mixed from original A&M/Ode multitrack tapes. Excellent sound in Stereo. I like it better than A&M/Ode vinyl. The best Tapestry vinyl is the early Epic/Ode USA vinyl or the Epic/Sony/Ode vinyl from Japan by far. The Classic Records vinyl is inferior to the competition in my opinion. It is much like the A&M/Ode original vinyl.

24. ec461

ec461 Forum Resident

Well, what is it finally? Is the 2-channel mix on the new SACD the same as the mix on the now-OOP single layer SACD? And then, what about the mastering? Is that the same too?

Thanks

25. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

yes, pray tell someone! i thought the stereo/MC issue was remixed for both programs. is kent correct on this? if so, i will stop my search for a single-layer stereo edition forthwith.

-eddie