Cartridges for Classical Music

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by KaiFi, Oct 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KaiFi

KaiFi Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Those of you who play classical vinyl, what are your preferred cartridges? There aren't many needle drops on YouTube with classical records and most cartridge and turntable reviews I come across do not mention classical music in their tests. So I'm just wondering what you guys use and what you look for in a cartridge for playing classical records. Opera included.

Disclaimer #1: This isn't meant to be about specific recommendations for me and my system. I just want to know what other classical fans like.

Disclaimer #2: I'm aware that the cartridge is only one part of the sound. I really only want to know what you use to play classical for whatever reason. The rest of the system is another consideration altogether.

Thanks. :)

rischa likes this.
  2. Angry_Panda

Angry_Panda Pipe as shown, slippers not pictured

I personally use three; as my system isn't really MC friendly, they all have to have high enough output for use with MM phono stages.

AT MONO3/LP for most mono discs - does a good job of knocking down a fair amount of noise on older used discs, and despite being a MC is high output enough (1.2 mV) that it doesn't need another gain stage on my system, just a bit more volume (it also seems to sound just fine without changing input loading from the normal MM 47K low capacitance). [When this one reaches end of life, I'll probably think about moving up to the AT 33MONO, but that's going to require a SUT or head amp.]

AT VM540ML - for the price, I don't think you could do much better. Sensitive to capacitance (it can get too bright on higher capacitance systems), but that's the only downside I've come across. On some used discs, the stylus shape gets around much of the existing groovewear.

Stanton 681 w/ Jico D6800EEE-S (Shibata) - pickier/noisier than the ATs on less-than-VG discs, but has a more relaxed top end which seems to suit some chamber recordings (strings in particular) with a more intimate mic placement.

As far as what I'm looking for, the number one factor is 'does it sound like I expect?' I don't know that there's a set of expectations on these carts that's much different than anything I'd use on other genres.

jusbe and KaiFi like this.
  3. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

I use an Ortophon Bronze 2M for all my listening on the main downstairs system and 99% of that is classical. I'm very pleased with the sound (on a Rega Planar 6 going through a Graham Slee Accession MM phono stage, an Outlaw Audio rr2160 integrated amp and KEF R3 speakers using Wire World Equinox 8 interconnects and Straightwire Super Quad speaker wire). My impression is that it gives accurate, neutral reproduction of what's in the grooves.

On a secondary upstairs system, I'm happily using a NOS Audio Technica AT450 and, again, I'm very pleased with the sound listening almost exclusively to classical music even though this cartridge cost less than 15% of what the Ortofon cartridge cost (which is not meant to slight the Bronze 2M but to suggest what a good value the AT450 is; I think you can still find them NOS on line). The AT450 is on a Rega Planar 3 through a NAD PP2e phono stage, a Harmon Kardon AVR 1510 amplifier, and KEF LS50 speakers using Wire World Equinox 8 interconnects.

KaiFi likes this.
  4. Helom

Helom Forum member

Best I’ve heard was a Koetsu Rhonodite.

What you’re really asking for is a cartridge with great tracking ability.

Best trackers tend to have a few factors in common:

• low output MC
    • boron/sapphire/ruby cantilever
    • shibata, microline, or “special line contact” stylus
    • Ability to reach Lofgren alignment if using a pivoting tonearm.

KaiFi and plastico like this.
  5. Angry_Panda

Angry_Panda Pipe as shown, slippers not pictured

The alignment note does bring up a good point - many classical discs run much further in to the label before end of side, so make sure your alignment (whichever one you choose) is good. I personally go with Baerwald, and think that sounds better than the stock 52mm alignment on the Technics (or whatever that doo-dad on the Dual gets you), as well as Stevenson and Lofgren B, over the whole course of a side, but I've seen good arguments both for and against all of the common options.

KaiFi likes this.
  6. KaiFi

KaiFi Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I think you're right.

Classical records also tend to have the full-orchestra fortissimo finales around the innermost grooves.

A cartridge with all the features you describe will cost a lot. Guess I better start saving. :)

7. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I listen to lots of classical music record albums. Over time my ears have come to prefer Stanton/Pickering cartridges played through a Graham Slee Reflex phono preamp. To me it's a 'Goldilocks' sound. Currently using a Stanton L837s cartridge with a D83s stylus.

JohnO likes this.
  8. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

If your table is compatible, a Grado might hit the spot. It does for me.

VinylSoul likes this.
  9. Bryan T

Bryan T Forum Resident

I haven’t tried many, but I enjoy the Hana SL for classical recordings. That said, I do most of my critical classical listening from digital sources. A lot of my classical vinyl collection was bought as a cheap way to hear a lot of new (to me) music. With Tidal, I don’t have that need so much. And a lot of the recordings I like have been remastered. Sometimes for the better, sometimes not.

10. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

It depends upon your tonearm mostly. I like the Dynavector cartridges for classical if they are a good match for your arm and budget.
    -Bill

11. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

I really enjoy classical LPs using my Empire 66 E/X. From the first one I played with it some 20 years ago I knew this cartridge might hold something special. It just sounded more "real" that other carts I had experienced at the time. Plus it just "looked good". I have of course replaced the styli many times over the years.
    If it means anything I rarely play opera, but I do play some choral stuff. Also I play mostly baroque, tone poems, 20th century stage music, and film soundtracks,

bluemooze likes this.
  12. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Audio Technica AT ART7 or ART9XA. Reportedly made for classical music. The air core coils make for a more transparent and dynamic sound vs. typical iron core coils per lower inductance properties.
    they are ultra low output and will need clean high amplifier gain or SUTs.

jusbe, bluemooze and Ripblade like this.
  13. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

AT ART7 would indeed be a great choice for classical

14. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

I went low-mass DIY arm with a higher compliance Ortifon 30 (fine line). I actually use a T4P version of the cartridge with an adapter, which does a great job of managing resonance.

I just wish the Ortofon OM line of styli was even higher compliance. They reduced the compliance at some point, probably after the last of the truly low mass arms were gone.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  15. drh

drh Talking Machine

I play almost entirely classical, LPs and 78s. Pretty much ever since its introduction, my workhouse cartridge has been the Shure V15Vx-MR. I have a fleet of the things, one with the regular Shure LP stylus assembly, one with the Shure stock "78" assembly, and several with custom sized tips. For Remington records, however, I have obtained better results with the M97x, which helps tame their rather harsh mastering and deals better with their low rent vinyl or pseudovinyl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.